Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
o.k. guys, i have my car on the lift at work and i'm changing my belts, i got all of them on without taking off the front clip or viscous fan clutch, but the power steering/waterpump belt (the smallest v-belt) is too loose and i dont see a way to adjust it, i checked the belt size and it seems o.k. tough to tell since my old belt is chewed up. any help on this please is appreciated thanks - bob

·
Banned
8,975 Posts
The waterpump belt is tensioned between the drive pulley and the waterpump pulley alone. The waterpump's pulley comes apart to allow the belt to be installed, and then the belt is pulled taut when the two halves of the waterpump pulley are bolted back together. If everything is put together the way it should be and the belt is still loose, I think your only recourse is to replace the pulleys it rides on.

·
Registered
28,326 Posts
thanks, looks like the belt is a c-hair too long. aftermarket crap:thumbdown
1st be sure the pulley halves are facing the correct way. 2nd, tighten the bolts, rotate the pulley and tighten the bolts again. Sometimes the belt will catch between the halves and need to be rotated to properly tighten.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts