Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

I got a Power Steering leak im trying to figure out. iv had it for about 6 months but not been able to get it fixed yet becouse workshops here in Norway charge 140-170$ an hour! :crazy:

its quite a big leak over time. i have to refill about every 2 weeks now!

i dont have much spill on the ground and the spill that do come on the ground is from all the way in the front. but if i look at the hose it seems to have oil all over it and i can also see quite a bit of powerstearing oil on the top of the wheel bow..

is there any common places i can check? i hope its not the Stearing rack as they cost over 2000$! :cry: so im willing to try everything else first!

if needed i can go take some pictures!

-Forgot to mention the car! its a 1998 Passat 20v 1.8 125hp-

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Check the long hose from pump to rack, which is the high-pressure hose. This developed a leak on our '99, part was about $80. Somewhat difficult to change because connection at the rack is hard to access.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stupid question but where is the pump located? :lol: is it behind where you fill the liquid? :)

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
Under the reservoir are 2 hoses. Follow them down. 1 will go straight to the pump, the other will go inside the front bumper cover. They will leak at any place they are clamped. Also look for cracks in the hoses and the fluid leaking out.

Since the leak is from the front of the car, the hose going inside the front bumper is probably leaking. It is attached to a small cooler and then another hose that goes back to the p/s rack. You can see these hoses with the belly pan removed.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Check the hoses for leaks first, but my guess is the rack. Poke a hole in the bottom of each boot on either side of the rack, and if fluid comes out then your rack is shot. They are not nearly as hard to change as everyone makes them out to be.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
Since the fluid leaks "All the way at the front of the car", the rack is not the issue.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leak

Thanks guys! ill try cleaning off the system tomorrow and see if i can spot the leak! ill get back to the matter if i can figure anything out!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Under the reservoir are 2 hoses. Follow them down. 1 will go straight to the pump, the other will go inside the front bumper cover. They will leak at any place they are clamped. Also look for cracks in the hoses and the fluid leaking out.

Since the leak is from the front of the car, the hose going inside the front bumper is probably leaking. It is attached to a small cooler and then another hose that goes back to the p/s rack. You can see these hoses with the belly pan removed.
Great advice! Same issue on my '01 Passat, my B5 Audi A4, my friend's '98 Passat...

Easy fix. I clip the Oetiker clamps off and use a quality Norma or ABA screw clamp. Last time I just unscrewed the clamp all the way so I could pull it apart and wrap it around the hose without even pulling the hose off. I suppose that it wouldn't hurt to cut the hose down a bit to get to some fresh meat, but I don't know if there is enough slack in the hoses.

·
Registered
27,581 Posts
It all depends on the condition of the hose. I've had some I can just put a new clamp on and others that I have had to cut back the hose 1/2".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts