Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
When you move the power seat switch do you hear any noise like the motor is trying to move? Will it move in any direction? Try to give as much detail as possible. Do the seats have heaters in them? If the motor makes some noise there is a good chance the switch, wiring and fuses are ok. There is a seat controller module right behind the 8-way switch. Check here to make sure you don't see any extral crack or obvious problems here.

If you do plan to look at this or fix yourself, I caution you to be careful if you seats have airbags in them. The seat airbag sensor in also under the front seats mounted on floor (depending on model and year) towards the front on the seat. VW requires a special tool VAS5094 airbag adapter the shorts the airbag connector while it is disconnected from the wire harness which can easily be set off by static electricity. So don't go disconnecting stuff without knowing what you are getting into. The Bentley manual covers this, and I not sure other manuals do or not so be careful.

Now that being said, lets work on getting the seat to move. If you hear noise then there are a few possible problems:
  1. There is something caught in the track like a nickel or quarter that fell onto the floor and is now caught in the track and has locked the seat up to where it can't move.
  2. The seat control module is bad.
  3. Wires may have got caught and cut and are shorting out
  4. The switch itself may be broken inside and has an internal short.
Here are some things to look at if you do not hear any noise from the motor:
  1. Check the power seat fuse.
  2. Make sure you have power to the switch with a test light.
  3. See if you have power at the motor while moving the switch.
  4. It could be a bad seat control module as well here.
These are just a few things that can go wrong and items to check. Without knowing more detail from there it is kinda hard to say what the problem is. If you do have to take it in to a stealership, it is better to know as much as possible to help them find the problem and correct it right the first time and not try to sell you stuff you know you don't need.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When the memory button is depressedthe seat tries to move but is in full recline position. The control module might be a good place to start since its acting like an electronic fault. Any idea how much an 8 Way Memory Module costs? The heated seat fuse has been pulled. Thanks for the reply

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure what another one would cost ata dealer. Most likely too expensive just to try anyway. You should be able to use the passenger's side one if it has an 8-way seat as well. Otherwise try a junk yard or one from a friend cars before buying one.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Check the power seat fuse

Where is the fuse for the passenger seat on my '02 V6 GLX? My seat will move in all direction but forward and backwards. Help!!!

Thanks,

Philip

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Philip, I don't think it is the fuse. If the fuse was blown, the seat would not move in any direction. Most likey the seat 8-way switch or wiring.

·
Registered
20 Posts
MBrocketry said:
Hey Philip, I don't think it is the fuse. If the fuse was blown, the seat would not move in any direction. Most likey the seat 8-way switch or wiring.
Can the switch fail in just the forwards/backward function? The rest of the functions work OK.

Thanks,

Philip

·
Registered
77 Posts
Sure can. For example the contacts can burn up just for that part of the switch, or a spring breaks etc. which can cause certain parts of the switch to still work where others don't. And since the current broken functions use the same part of the switch (forward and backward), I would think you have found your problem. Also another question is in most cases the forward/backwards switch function is the most used therefore the most likely to break first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Can the switch be rebuilt or is it a total loss? I hear Radio Shack has parts for just about everything electronic.

Thanks,

Philip

·
Registered
77 Posts
First off, whoever told you that Radio Shack has everything electronic is incorrect. They don't even come close to even .00001% of everything electronic as far as repair parts. They only carry a very small selection of electronic parts.

Now is the switch repairable, possibly. I have never taken one apart on a VW. I was able to fix some of the GM seat switches I used to work on but in most cases I had to replace them.

Do you have a friend or know someone with the same year and model or close to it with power seats that you may be able to try another switch? In other words can you borrow a known good seat switch to test with your seat? That will tell you if you really need one. Then you can either buy a new one from the stealership or try a junk yard. Without seeing the switch (inside) I can't really say if it is repairable or not. And no, nothing that Radio Shack sells will be able to fix your current switch.

Also can you answer a couple of questions? Do you hear the motors trying to move when you push the forward/backwards button in either direction? Or is there no sound at all? If it does make noise does it try to move do maybe it is jammed?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Zero sounds/actions from the seat in the forward/backward. Everything else works just dandy. I reached and looked up under the seat for junk lodge in the system without finding anything out of the norm. Maybe I should give it another look with a mirror, etc.?

Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well if the seat made noise and did not move then you might have something jammed in the seat track. I would say that you have a bad switch or module as was said before.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Replace the switch!You can try cleaning it with contact cleaner but it is not a long term solution. This was the last straw, I decided to get rid of my 2000 GLX.The maintainence on this vehicle is just to high especialy after 60K. Purchased a 2006 Mercury Milan V6 Premier .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here are some things to look at if you do not hear any noise from the motor:
  1. Check the power seat fuse.
  2. Make sure you have power to the switch with a test light.
  3. See if you have power at the motor while moving the switch.
  4. It could be a bad seat control module as well here.
Hey mate, I have checked all fuses which were okay. Tried using another switch but seat still won't move or make any noise. My test light shows there is no power going to the switch though. What do I do from here?

Edit by VAGGUY: Haros has a B6 which does not apply. Deleted all posts. Watch where you post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts