Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I recently bought my pristine '99 and this is the only thing wrong with it. Any ideas? Do I need to suck it up and buy a whole new unit?

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
A Florida-based member of PassatWorld repairs them for $15, using a stainless steel rod for a stronger-than-new fix.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,507 Posts
Dont go with the steel rod, the switch is made to break so in case of an accident it won't brake[sic] your knee cap.
There are much better ways to design a safe mirror switch, such as a flat rocker panel. The VW unit is flimsy and unnecessarily failure-prone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
How tough is it to replace this switch? Does the door panel have to come off or can the switch be removed in place?
My wife broke ours yesterday so it looks like I'll be replacing it soon.

Edit: I searched deeper into the forum and found that some have had luck with removing it in place, while others have butchered the door panel trim while trying to do it. I guess I'll have to give it a try.

·
Banned
3,535 Posts
How tough is it to replace this switch? Does the door panel have to come off or can the switch be removed in place?
My wife broke ours yesterday so it looks like I'll be replacing it soon.

Edit: I searched deeper into the forum and found that some have had luck with removing it in place, while others have butchered the door panel trim while trying to do it. I guess I'll have to give it a try.
remove the door panel ,its pretty easy and you won't be sorry later.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I can only find 2 screws to get the door panel off-on the bottom of the panel. Where are the rest? In other words, can somebody give me a step-by-step on how to get it off?

·
Banned
2,410 Posts
I can tell you that popping the switch out is easy but the key tip is only pry from the sides (front to back).
Do NOT try to pry it out from the top or bottom there are no "slots" there and you will run a higher risk of damaging the outer trim.
I used a thick exacto blade and it ever sooo slightly scratched the trim.
A small precision screwdriver is good too but maybe put some tape on the blade to soften the tip.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts