Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Passat 1.8T. I purchased it new and left it stock for about 11 months, then got the Wetterauer chip and EVO DV and have driven it chipped for about 11 more months. Since it's been chipped I've noticed a couple things:

1. It has a noticable surge of power. Instead of a metered power output, when you're in the lower RPM's (1500-2000rpm) it feels like a light switch. I bought an N75J valve to try and smooth out the surge but no luck. I've heard some people say that the "J" will usually smooth out the surge, but might also let the car go into limp mode if you're driving it hard. For some reason, the "J" valve did absolutely nothing different for my car, I can't even tell that I swapped it out - so I'm going back to the stock N75. (Is there anything else you need to do besides connect the hoses and plug in the electrical when you change the N75 to make it actually 'work')?

2. The car periodically flashes a CEL and dies. Sometimes it's while slowing to a stop, or while idling at a traffic light, but always at low rpms. It feels the way people describe Limp Mode, but it only happens at low rpms - the car shudders and feels like it hit a wall (power-wise), the CEL blinks and the car dies (or almost dies if I'm still going 20-30mph while slowing down).

A while back I had someone hook up a VAG-COM tool and switch the transmission to Sport Mode to see if this would help with the on/off feel of the power, but on hills in residential areas it makes the surge even more noticable and the car doesn't seem to know what gear it want's to be in - so I'm going to switch that back to the stock setting as well.

Other that what I've described, the car runs perfectly. It idles so smoothly that I can barely even tell it's running and definitely has get up and go when I get on the gas on the freeway, but at lower speeds/RPMs I've had to learn to drive with a very sensitive throttle foot, the power surge makes the car not as enjoyable as it should be.

I'm going to go back to the stock chip and run it for a while to see if the CEL's stop, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard of something like this before, and what I could do about it. I like the feel of the chipped car (at mid and upper rpms), but I can only think that what I'm experiencing is a characteristic of the chip since it started immediately after plugging in the newly chipped ECU.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you may have. I'd rather not take it to the stealership since I trust the advice here much more.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
I also have 2003 with wett chip. I've had it since 5k and I have 72k now without any problem but I do notice the samething you're talking about. At lower rpm, it's not as smooth as I would like and I've tried the J valve also but didn't work for me either. I've also tried the 1.1bar since I have milltek exhaust but didn't like that either 'cuz my 1bar felt much more powerful. It bothered me before but I just learned to drive differently. I want power over smoothness so I might try either APR or GIAC to fulfill my needs. They might spike harder but I think delivery might be smoother than my wett chip. Anyways, good luck.

Josh

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the feedback Josh. I'm glad I'm not the only one with surging power from a chip. I've seen a lot of threads asking which chip is 'best' but more knowledge would be gained from a thread that listed the characteristics of each chip (i.e. great mid to upper power, very smooth power delivery, etc...) - maybe a more expensive chip has more desirable power delivery characteristics.

I'd still be interested in other members inputs as to why switching to a "J" valve did absolutely nothing for our cars - or why my CEL flashes and the car dies peridically, yet the car runs perfectly most of the time.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
Mike

I would put the stock valve back in if the "J" didn't do anything for you. Put it back and see if the CEL goes away.

Do you have boost gauge? If so then what are you boosting at(assuming you have 1bar)?

Josh

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The CEL's were happening way before (and now after) installing the "J" valve. I just recently put the "J" in... but I'll swap back tomorrow. I'll drive it for a couple days and then put the stock chip back in as well.

I do not have a boost gauge, but I'm not driving the car hard AT ALL... the CEL's and dying are happening from about 30mph down to idle under very casual driving.

I don't really know if I have a 1bar or not - I just sent my ECU to Wett and had them do their thing. If I didn't ask for anything special, I'm assuming I got a 1bar?

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
yeah, definately try the stock chip and see if the problem still exists. Do you know anyone with VAG-COM that can help you out? I would try to get the code and see what it's telling you.

Josh

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Josh,

I was thinking the same thing - we're having a GTG this weekend and one of the members just replied that he's bringing his VAG-COM. Hopefully that will shed some light on this mystery.

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts