Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Passat B5 1999 GLS and it also has the knob icon indicating power folding mirror potential. The person I bought the car from told me that it does have the power mirror folding. He never said it didnt work or that he had never used it. When I bought the car 2 weeks ago, it was not working but I assumed it had worked in the past. Based on what I have read in the forums here, can I assume that the feature doesnt work because I have a GLS and not a GLX model? What are the other differences between the tow models? Does anyone have a GLS model that does have (stock) power folding mirrors? If this feature is faulty in my car, how can I trouble shoot? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
GLX (depending on the model year) got the V6, gave standard power seats, heated seats, heated mirrors (power folding), heated washer nozzles, Monsoon and sunroof as standard, standard fog lamps, HomeLink, different alloy wheels, etc.
GLS (depending on model year) had V6 as optional, non power seats - leather and heated as options (Luxury Package + Leather Package + Convenience Package?) may have Monsoon & sunroof as standard (2004+?).

·
Registered
897 Posts
Power folding mirrors was a GLX exclusive and also a W8 feature later on. The GLS did not offer this. There was quite a bit of stuff that the GLX had over the GLS. Power folding mirrors was one, but aslo dual power front seats with memory (for the seat & mirror settings too for the driver which can be activated via the key fob or seat button), rain sensing wipers, 16" alloys, auto dim interior mirrors, outside mirrors dipping feature when in reverse, LED red interior ambient lighting, Upgraded sound system and eventually the 200watt Monsoon, in 2000 a multi-function steering wheel, standard sunroof, Climatronic automatic a/c and heating system, standard heated leather seating, rear sunshade for the sedan, standard Walnut wood interior trim (all V6s had it standard) and V6 engine. Most GLXs came with the 5 speed Tiptronic, though manual 5 speeds were available but rare. The 4Motion AWD system was optional.

You can add in the power folding mirrors to your GLS, but you will need a new mirror switch, the wiring and harness, and the motors for the mirrors. Get them from a donor car and it will be plug and play. I doubt that your GLS has the power folding icon, it is located to the opposite side on the switch from the L, heating icon and R .

·
Registered
897 Posts
I forgot about the Homelink which was introduced in 2001. Any VW ordered with leather got the Cold Weather Package standard. All Passats until the intoductin of the GL in 2003 had standard fog lamps. The B5 GLXs got the 16" Montreal alloys until the B5.5 into in 2001.5, then they got the 16" Road Americas to be changed in 2004 to the 16" Vancouvas and again in 2005 to the 17" Bistars. The option packages change in 2001.5 and again in 2003, 2004 and 2005. ESP becomes optional in 2003 and stanard on the GLX in 2003. Homelink becomes optional on all the B5.5s and the multi function wheel becomes bundled into the leather package along with the rear sunshade. In 2004 the VW Telematics (OnStar) is made standard on the GLX and optional accross the line. It becomes optional in 2005 on the GLX for some odd reason. I believe in 2000-2001 a in dash CD player was added to the GLX as standard. The 6 disk CD Changer was never made standard on any Passat. In Europe they had the option of having an in dash CD changer or a trunk mounted one, not to mention at least 3 types of Navigation systems.

W8s have more stuff not found on GLXs like Bi-Zenon headlights with washers and a Sports Package and other trim embellishments.

·
Registered
11,873 Posts
. I doubt that your GLS has the power folding icon, it is located to the opposite side on the switch from the L, heating icon and R .
My GLS has this icon, I believe the that mirror switch was replaced, and they replaced it with one that was for power folding mirrors.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My GLS has this icon, I believe the that mirror switch was replaced, and they replaced it with one that was for power folding mirrors.
Now all you need are the harness, wiring and motors to get you set up.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I have a GLS. Last year a garage attendant broke off my button, the offered to pay, so I took it to the dealer ($30 part + $200 labor - crazyness). Anyway, they replaced it with one with the folding icon (I guess that's all they had that day). I like the old one better, it was simpler.

Now it's time to replace the mirrors (many rock chips and heat not working). So I'm considering putting in the folding type. I suppose that just having the button and the WHOLE folding unit is NOT enough, I would need wiring (i.e. run new wires to passenger side).

Anyone done this mod before?

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Probably need the CCM from a GLX model since they also have power seat and power mirror settings stored into memory.

Definitely need the extra wiring (try to get this before buying any other parts).

·
Registered
643 Posts
Yeah, after i posted I remembered the memory thing. Yeah, this may be as much not worth the cause as trying to install climatronic in a GLS - sounds like a good idea, but in the end, you might as well just trade in and get a GLS.

I'm still curious to know if anyone has done this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts