Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello PW

I am asking an open question to powers that be about the previously religious selection of POTM cars which has faded away. Will it ever be Passat of the Month again or just Passat of the Moment? I don't mean to sound sarcastic, rather I am asking in all honesty as I feel the POTM nomination was something all users, member or visitor, of PassatWorld looked forward to and used as inspiration. When Jay resurrected the POTM after having been dormant for numerous months, it is again dead. I may be incorrect but I think there is some misleading information floating around the forum as to the criteria required to nominate a vehicle for POTM.

The below is in the first sticky in the POTM sub forum, see section 3 specifically, bolded portions:

POTM nominations - we're going to get this going again!

I've just taken on the new title of POTM Coordinator.

Passat Of The Month is open to nominations from the community; however, POTM is chosen by the Super Moderators and Administrators. The guidelines listed below must be followed. Nominations that do not follow these guidelines will be considered SPAM. Spamming POTM will result in your nomination being instantly deleted, and you will be banned for a length of time appropriate to the degree of spam.

1) Send a PM to me (JayTheSnork).
2) Title: POTM - (Screen Name of Member being Nominated).

3) Message: A reasonably coherent paragraph describing how the nominee and the car meets the spirit of Passatworld. The more helpful and complete you are, the more likely your nominee will be considered. Honestly, it's Passat of the month, not Member of the month - so a really, really hot Passat qualifies as a nominee, even if the member does not participate much. But don't nominate idiots, or d*cks (spam). And don't nominate yourself (really bad spam). I'll also add that helpful members should also be considered - those knowledgeable about our cars and those who help others consistently could also be considered, as well, if they take the time to actually mod their cars!

4) Read-receipts will be honored, unless it's spam. If you spam POTM and request a read receipt, we'll double the ban-time.

5) If my Inbox fills up, try submitting in a day or two. Please don't complain if it's full, just resubmit at a later date.
6) (added 23 Aug 2010) You can not nominate yourself. Being on Passatworld just a few months and spending a few thousand dollars doesn't mean you are worthy of POTM.
The below was taken from a recent POTM winner's text, see underlined portion/word:

(and as a side note to others who aspire to get a POTM - if you want to be considered for POTM, you have to help out here...).
So following the most recent guidance, I could nominate Tomvw for POTM not even knowing if he has a Passat as I have never seen pictures posted of his car. I'm not calling Tom out as he is a very helpful and knowledgeable member but he could be driving a Polski Fiat 126 for all I know. I mean he did post about a Studebaker...

Then a member such as croma_man or Stamsaas, who both have taken completely stock Passats to something far beyond what the average member will ever achieve, don't deserve a nomination as they do not regularly post DIYs or help with CCM issues or suggest which spark plug to use.

Help me out here so I know what criterion is or should be used when making a POTM nomination. And who should the PM be sent to as there isn't a moderator listed under the "Forum Information and Options" heading in the POTM sub forum?

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
I'm glad you posted about this topic. I've just started to get POTM reorganized, back up and running. Currently I'm trying to get "POTM" as a dedicated PM address for this but that name was created years ago and we no longer have the password. :rolleyes: I've submitted a request to the VS admin people.

As you've pointed out, the criteria needs to be clarified. Personally, I don't think POTM should be reserved solely for highly modified "show quality" cars. PW is a community more than it is a pin-up contest. Qualities like contribution, effort, accomplishment, comradery and knowledge are all attributes that add positively to our experience here. Members showing those qualities should be acknowledged and shown appreciation.

What's the general consensus?

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think POTM should be reserved solely for highly modified "show quality" cars. PW is a community more than it is a pin-up contest. Qualities like contribution, effort, accomplishment, comradery and knowledge are all attributes that add positively to our experience here. Members showing those qualities should be acknowledged and shown appreciation.

·
Moderate Moderator
16,486 Posts
It's up to the members of Passat World to send in nominations. That's really what will make this boat sink or float.

Currently, the criteria to be nominated is broader then ever. Notable car or notable helper or notable story or any combination of the above. Previous winners can win again. It costs nothing to send in nominations. You can nominate several people. There are no wrong answers. There is nothing to lose.

Get involved!:thumbup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts