Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Editor's Note: The POTM for December, 2013 is some Thunda from Down Unda! This guy went from having zero knowledge about cars, let alone VAG cars, to being (and having) one of the best cars here.

He's also a knowledgeable contributor to the B5 section of the forum (and as a side note to others who aspire to get a POTM - if you want to be considered for POTM, you have to help out here...).

Congrats to dav1129 for being selected as this month's POTM!!!
Take it away, dav1129!

I am not sure I am quite (yet) deserving of POTM; however, modesty aside, the point I suppose is to not just recognize the individual but community. So a big thank you to everyone who has helped me since I became a member of PW in late 2009 :beer: Here’s my :b5: and how PW helped me get this far.

I purchased this 1999 wagon completely stock in 2002 and at the end of 2009 was still your average motorist blindly entrusting their car to dealership(s) and then later market mechanics. But increasingly, I was becoming frustrated at the amount of money I seemed to be spending whilst the car seemed to develop all sorts of problems including preventable ones, and increasingly, seemed to be (very) prematurely heading to the wrecker’s graveyard. Within the space of few short months a string of events led to a watershed moment:
  • A Sydney dealership charged me the full whack, $1000 for a 120000km service which prior to me delivering the vehicle I have been told would include changing the timing belt. After I collected the car, paid what I had been quoted, and asked I was told that no, they hadn’t changed because it ‘looked’ like it had already been changed. And yet there was no sticker to suggest that it had been. Had to take the dealership to court but won with zero assistance from VW in Australia who naturally sided with the dealership.
  • Then I was quoted $850 plus labour to change out a faulty air mass sensor! At this point I didn’t know what this even was but knew I was being taken for a ride.
  • Then I was quoted $450-$600 for a new key fob and key blade to replace my rapidly aging banjo style remote. Finally after I went to a mechanic to have the MAF sensor replaced but a still heft $550 I was told the engine was losing oil and told I would have to change the valve cover gasket. That mechanic also charged extra on a service invoice fo looking for the source of a ‘twanging’ noise I was has stated hearing in the dash.
  • I received a quote was $2500 plus labour from a dealership quote to fix the infamous ABS CEL light, and they were unable to diagnose a faulty cruise control despite having the car on 3 separate occasions.
That’s not an exhaustive list but as I ventured to take matters into my own hands, I found that the $6 plastic oil dipstick funnel was broken, virtually missing and the bulk of the oil I was losing was from there. The ‘twanging’ noise I discovered before I completely removed the dash was one loose bolt, one of two which hold a flat bar across the exhaust. About now is when I found and started turning to PW, bought Haynes and Bentley from Amazon and a VAG COM from Ross tech and first off
  • Removed, send off and had the ABS module fixed for $400 by ATE in Florida and the cruise control module for under $120; and
  • Encoded a second hand key fob on eBay for $50 and had my key copied.
But before I took the plunge and never look backed, I hadn’t ever done an oil change and very few if any automotive tools. So my early threads sought advice on what compliment of tools I should start with and where I first met PZ and later many others who have helped me with their advice, suggestions and support. But a big thanks PZ as in the early days he practically held my hand and answered all my PMs. He always kept his replies brief no doubt because he was helping others with the limited time he has but also I suspect,he wanted me to help myself by not telling me too much.

The first job I did was installing some Eibach springs and Koni FSDs springs which actually I was never really sold on or liked, and now some years later much prefer the KW Street Comfort coil overs I installed and still have. Then I replaced the entire control arm and tie rod setup, and sometime later the PCV system. At that same time I had the stock chip replaced with socket adapter so I could install a Stage 1 chip which again I bought on eBay and together replacing the PCV system was fantastic and great performance with stock hardware. But then I succumbed to the same affliction as many others and couldn’t stop there. So here is the current setup and list of mods:

Engine =====
Frankenturbo F4L

High Flow Exhaust manifold
034 Motorsports High Flow Cat
MillTek High Flow Custom Cat back exhaust (required some modification)
New South Performance Intake Manifold Power Gasket
3" oversized Turbo inlet pipe
3" MAF housing
K&N sports Air filter

Bosch 44lbs 'Green Giant' injectors
Toyosports Front mounted Intercooler
Custom tune (work in progress, currently boosting 18-19psi)
ECS Carbon Fibre Engine Cover
B5.5 Facelift Engine Compartment covers
R8 Oil & Water Expansion Tank caps

Suspension =====
KW Street Comfort coil overs

New control arm and tie rod sets

Shoes =====
VMR 701 19x8.5" wheels in hyper silver

Kumho ECSTA SPORT KU39
205/35 R19

Brakes =====
Porsche Boxster calipers with slotted and drilled rotors

Body =====
B5.5 Facelift Tail Lights
CSR Automotive Front Spoiler CSR Automotive Rear Spoiler
Replica Votex skirts and door trim
Chrome mirror caps Chrome roof rails

Interior =====
Upgraded cloth trims with custom leather
Upgraded CD Radio to 2DIN Entertainment and Navigation unit
with interoperable dash cam
New South Performance Oil Pressure Gauge

New South Performance Boost Gauge

New South Performance MK4 dual gauge column pod (required modification)

Lighting =====
Sonar Projector headlights with white CCFL neon Angel eye DRLs (modified for RHD

OE (Chinese) Fogs Replaced stock courtesy lights with these VW Logo lights

Most recent Mod =====
Installed this (Chinese) head unit with interoperable dash cam. The head unit can play back recorded files and display live feed which means the dash camera does not require its own LCD, and therefore has a smaller footprint in the car. After two software updates finally sorted out initial audio signal output problems, I think this unit is a killer unit. CD, DVD, 19CD Virtual ROM memory, dash cam interoperability, built-in music and video file players, Sat Nav GPS, Digital TV, Bluetooth hands free phone operation, music and video streaming, USB drive (max32GB) connectivity, iPod connectivity, 3G wireless Internet capable, built in browser and if required, separate rear zone output. Runs on an Android OS with apps, including world clocks, eBook reader, calculator, vehicle maintenance scheduler etc... You can in one screen inventory the used and available space on the 1GB internal hard drive, and all connected external storage. Select the music or video file player and then a storage source, the player catalogues that media type by track, album or artist and when available, displays album and artist images.

To do list =====
Engine Rebuild and upgrade Finish custom tune to 20-21psi boost. PS Just one word of encouragement to any B5 owner who can't find a tune for their AEB and older style ECU, or can't find or get to a tuner, don't give up hope. If you find a tuner like k0mpresd or Mark @ Malone Tuning who will remotely prepare and email you tunes, you can like I did after wasting two years with most tuners, learn to program your own rewriteable chips with chip programmer like this one.

·
Moderator/Administrator
24,165 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the club.

·
I break for old people
7,533 Posts
Congratulations on your POTM! Lovely looking B5 you've got there. I love what you did with the seat embroidering. :salute: :thumbup:

·
I aspire to awesomeness
767 Posts
Thanks you guys. If it wasn't for Passatworld I'd have never got past buying a Bentley! But I recognise you all as all having helping me out at some stage. I am not sure though Jay, that I have contributed much back yet. Will try to in the future.

Damn Dave you put a lot of work in that car, I am speechless. Congrats! :thumbup:
Thanks Jack. It's turn out alright but only today I was thinking about whether to get a rear hatch spoiler.

·
Registered
5,565 Posts
Thanks you guys. If it wasn't for Passatworld I'd have never got past buying a Bentley! But I recognise you all as all having helping me out at some stage. I am not sure though Jay, that I have contributed much back yet. Will try to in the future.

Thanks Jack. It's turn out alright but only today I was thinking about whether to get a rear hatch spoiler.
How is that CSR front fitting? I have a set of add ons from them for the back of my T4 and was thinknig of getting a front lip as I can't justify $4K for the Projektzwo kit :(

·
I aspire to awesomeness
767 Posts
How is that CSR front fitting? I have a set of add ons from them for the back of my T4 and was thinknig of getting a front lip as I can't justify $4K for the Projektzwo kit :(
The CSR front spoiler fit beautifully because it was direct replacement. Painted and straight on. Unfortunately I once forgot it was there and nudged it against a parking bollard that was too far in :mad:

The rear less well because it was a stick on. But acceptable.

·
Wants to be TheFlipperGray
7,322 Posts
Congrats! I love seeing your threads pop up and always think "what's he up to this time?!" before I open em up.

You're definitely deserving. Keep up the good work :thumbup:

·
I aspire to awesomeness
767 Posts
You're absolutely deserving. From "never done an oil change noob" to the car pictured above is quite an accomplishment. Like Jay said, it's one of the nicer cars on PW. Congrats!
Congrats! I love seeing your threads pop up and always think "what's he up to this time?!" before I open em up.

You're definitely deserving. Keep up the good work :thumbup:
Thanks. Gosh I don't know what to say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good afternoon,

Verry nice car!!!

The lights you have in front doors that projecting the VW logo on the ground where did you buy them?

best regards,

Nick

·
I aspire to awesomeness
767 Posts
Good afternoon,

Verry nice car!!!

The lights you have in front doors that projecting the VW logo on the ground where did you buy them?

best regards,

Nick
Thanks. I bought mine here on eBay. There is a link under the lists (lighting) But you can also get them on aliexpress.com

There are many generations now. The first were big (very tall and wide) and are still being sold on eBay. But make you get the later generation or smaller ones with CREE LEDs. The taller and fatter ones fit the rear doors but there's no where to stand them upright in the front doors.

The smaller ones are are also better because as I did you can carefully modify your existing courtesy light i.e. carefully make a hole in the centre with a rotary tool and secure the new fitting to the OE fitting as a carrier. That way you don't have to make any wholes in the door trim.

To do this you have to remove the OE bulb and some of the plastic but be careful to leave enough so that 'wiring' encased in the plastic remains encased. You can then cut the leads short and solder the wires to the original connectors. Be careful to place the hole to one end (closest to the connector) so that you can (re) install the fittings and such that you can also angle taller light fitting in.

I'll see if I can take a picture without removing it all

·
Registered
27,066 Posts
Took ya long enough :p

Congrats, well deserved to another PassatWorld success story.

·
I aspire to awesomeness
767 Posts
Took ya long enough :p

Congrats, well deserved to another PassatWorld success story.
Ha. It took me long enough? 12 days and you only post now?

But seriously thanks. You know you were invaluable from the very beginning. Thanks Paul.

Hope you will be around when I finally do rebuild the engine.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts