Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm too lazy to swap wheels so a good A/S is the choice. I am looking at these on stock 16's with 4 mo. I would say it is for typical street commuter style driving but the wife generally drives it so spirited is probably a more accurate description. Anyone got an opinion?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
I'm running Nokian WR G2's on my Mazda RX-8. They are an all-season compound with a snow tire pattern. Not great on dry roads but competent enough to keep me out of trouble around Chicago. Much better than the Falken Ziex ZE-512's that they replaced.

If you get any amount of snow where you live, I recommend these if you are dead-set against dedicated snows.

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Yeah, your 'location' doesn't really tell us alot.

If you (and more importantly, your wife) are good drivers, the Passat will reward you with stability even with A/S tires and FWD. With 4Motion, it should be a tank with almost any tire you choose.

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
IIRC he's in Bay area, CA:4Mot; VAGGuy uses it

IF your location is still the same and it's 4 Mot, unless you go skiing, you'd do fine even with an HP tire with emphasis on great wet (more needed in Bay area).

VAGGuy is a proponent of these.......

Seriously, do you read and are aware of it's high ratings on tiretrac as well as it's extensive users forum feedback...... that IMHO would both preclude such questions..........given the depth and breathe of it's base vs ours???

·
Registered
83 Posts
I sell the Bridgestone Potenza Grid tires at the dealership I work at as replacement tires for the Mazda3 in sizes 205/50R17 and 205/55R16 and so far they work much better than the stock tires (Goodyear RSA and Toyo Proxes A05) in snowy conditions. Tread pattern is decent too. For the economical price, they seem to be worth considering.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,293 Posts
I have the predecessors to them (G009) on my A4 and ther are nice and quiet. I have the G019's on my Passat and they are great also. H rated 225/45/17 and they have taken everything I have thrown at them. No complaints here. I spiritedly commute 60 miles a day on crappy back country roads and they perform very well. Just as good as the conti extreme contacts I used to have that were Z rated. No snow runs but the G009s were good in the fluffy stuff on the A4. Good in the rain and pretty responsive with good feedback as long as you keep the pressure between 38-40psi.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, sorry about the location. There was a move a while back to change that to the info everyone usually forgets to post to help solve mechanical problems.

We get some snow here, but the Passat with 4mo is a tank and A/S has been fine up to this point so tire set 3 will be the same! :)

Sounds like these are worth a look. The only thing I saw in the tirerack reviews is that some thought they were noisy. That is all relative but I am currently running a Touranza that is a little noisy between 40-55 mph so I am a little nervous about that.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update...

I picked these up about 6 weeks ago and so far I am quite happy on dry/ wet pavement - in town and on the highway. We'll see what the snow and ice bring!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I also had (still have, actually) the predecessors: G009. These tires are slightly noisy, but last FOREVER. Perfect, long-lasting general purpose tire for my B5 wagon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts