Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

This is related to my B5/B5.5 post

Went to see the car yesterday. It's a 04 V6 GLX with ~ 186.000. I only had an hr to look at it, The interior/ exterior is in really good shape. A decent cleaning and I would put it at a 8-9 for it's age. It appears to have been well taken care of when it was in use.

Cons:
Needs a new battery, trunk lid shocks, tires and shocks all the way around.

I hear a very faint noise coming from the vent flaps when changing from the floorboard vents to dash vents. I'm thinking it's the motors controlling them from lack of use?

The sunroof pauses for a split second when opening or closing (almost like a delay). It didn't close all the way the 1st few times I tried. It would stop a few inches from complete closer than automatically fully reopen. Almost like it detected something in the way. After trying it again it worked as normal. Tracks looked clean and noting in the way. Again thinking it did it from lack of use?

Drivers door doesn't always lock using the remote. Locks fine with the key. All the others work as normal. Guy said the dealership couldn't determine the cause.

Windows do not open or close using the key in the drivers door like they do on my 01. Is this normal or is it a programing issue

Front speakers do appear to be bad (I get a lot of crackling sound)

Drivers seat doesn't tilt to the front or back (the seat itself) It tries to move and I hear it clicking and the motor appears to be working.

apparently needs both axles. I wasn't able to look as the tires are nearly flat and it's not on the driveway.

Pros:

He's going to get me all the service records from the dealership.

No odd noises at start up or idle, Idles smooth, The coolant reservoir is clean and the coolant is the proper color, oil looks clean, all engine covers in place everything worked besides what I listed

No check engine lights, looks to have been well cared for while he drove it

I still need to test drive, remove the plastic engine covers, get under the car to look for any leaks or things that need immediate attention but from what I could see. The underneath looked very clean.

He's asking $875.00 (Yes only $875.00) because the dealer quoted him over $1,600.00 to replace both axles, battery and I think the shocks. He is even nego on that price if I find anything else wrong. I'm sure I will find more than I already have. He doesn't want to put any more money into it as he drives another car the was given to him.

Thought's?? Tips, Things to look for other than what has already been mentioned in my other post??

Thank you

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Let's ballpark it at $2500 to get it in decent shape. Do you want a V6 with 186K for $3300? Could be reasonable, but personally I like lower miles.
In any case, I would hook up a scanner to check for codes just to be sure. Also check the pinchbolt area, knuckle and other underneath side areas for corrosion. Is the glovebox lock still intact?

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
Perhaps $2500 over and above the axles, battery, tires, etc? You have a lot of glitches there, some of which may be resolved trivially, but may cost big bucks if you want the whole car working. Sunroof may just be a spot of debris in the track, or a sticking limit switch - but it may also be a damaged track, requiring a replacement sunroof. Sound from the vent flaps may be normal, or it may require removing the dash to replace a servo (Climatronic repairs are a PITA). You clearly need at least a drivers door lock module; and I've never heard of anyone repairing a power seat (they get replaced). The Monsoon sound system isn't replaced piecemeal; you should replace with factory parts, or replace the entire system with aftermarket bits.

This is a complex, high mileage, 12-year-old German car, and one known for electrical problems. With all the apparent work this "excellent" car needs, he's not doing you any favors at $875. Me, I'd probably walk.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Let's ballpark it at $2500 to get it in decent shape. Do you want a V6 with 186K for $3300? Could be reasonable, but personally I like lower miles.
In any case, I would hook up a scanner to check for codes just to be sure. Also check the pinchbolt area, knuckle and other underneath side areas for corrosion. Is the glovebox lock still intact?
I currently have a 01 Passat V6. I got it for a good price because I noticed a few things wrong and talked her down but wow!!!!! It's had some issues that I didn't know about.

I'm new to VW and this has been a big learning experience :icon_eek: Had I known about you people and done more research I would have either talked her down even more on the price or walked away. You people have been great :bowdown:

I believe this 04 I'm looking at won't cost even close to $2500 to getting it in decent shape. Tires will be the big ticket item. I hope ;)

I have done many repairs to my 01 and have a much better idea what to look for in this 04. The Pinch bolts and everything I could see where it was sitting looked very clean. No rust, buildup of road grime. Very clean but not so clean that it looks like he's had it cleaned to sell. Yes the glove box lock/handle are intact. I just rigged mine back together last week in my 01 :thumbup: This interior is very clean.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps $2500 over and above the axles, battery, tires, etc? You have a lot of glitches there, some of which may be resolved trivially, but may cost big bucks if you want the whole car working. Sunroof may just be a spot of debris in the track, or a sticking limit switch - but it may also be a damaged track, requiring a replacement sunroof. Sound from the vent flaps may be normal, or it may require removing the dash to replace a servo (Climatronic repairs are a PITA). You clearly need at least a drivers door lock module; and I've never heard of anyone repairing a power seat (they get replaced). The Monsoon sound system isn't replaced piecemeal; you should replace with factory parts, or replace the entire system with aftermarket bits.

This is a complex, high mileage, 12-year-old German car, and one known for electrical problems. With all the apparent work this "excellent" car needs, he's not doing you any favors at $875. Me, I'd probably walk.
I think the few glitches I have noticed so far are (like you mentioned) are going to be resolved with no issues but I get what you are saying. The sunroof tracks were clean and didn't appear to be damaged. I'm hoping that it having a completely dead battery and it sitting as long as it has I have to say that sap from the tree might be making the sunroof made it do what it did.

I'll hope for the best on the vent flaps, but the heat and ac performed as should. Not sure what to do about the seat, not a huge issue since that is the only issue. As far as the radio, will aftermarket front door speakers not work? They are not the tweeters, they are down lower. There is not a lot of electrical issues currently, why do you think there will be electrical problems, what is this car known for with electrical problems? Are the issues that I listed normal for this car or over and above what the normal electrical problems are?

Since I have an 01 and most of the parts are compatible, would this be a good car to buy as a parts car or try to see how much the repairs would be since it is in much better condition interior and exterior than the 01 that I currently have?

·
Registered
926 Posts
It's had some issues that I didn't know about.
I'm new to VW and this has been a big learning experience :icon_eek: Had I known about you people and done more research I would have either talked her down even more on the price or walked away.
I believe this 04 I'm looking at won't cost even close to $2500 to getting it in decent shape.
Permit me some negative observations.

You're new to VWs, and were just burned a bit in getting an '01 with issues you didn't know about.

Now you're enamored of another one almost as old with pretty high mileage that you haven't even driven...because the tires are mostly flat. What do you know about the state of the suspension and the CV joints and the axles? Do the flat tires give an indication about how the car was treated? Why would you assume the parts you can't examine are in good shape?

Do you see a pattern here?

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Honestly pass it's never worth the trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Permit me some negative observations.

You're new to VWs, and were just burned a bit in getting an '01 with issues you didn't know about.

Now you're enamored of another one almost as old with pretty high mileage that you haven't even driven...because the tires are mostly flat. What do you know about the state of the suspension and the CV joints and the axles? Do the flat tires give an indication about how the car was treated? Why would you assume the parts you can't examine are in good shape?

Do you see a pattern here?
I appreciate all opinions and thoughts when it comes to this from you and the others that have more experience then I.

I do stand corrected on the mileage. I believe it's either 168.000 or 163.000 not 186.000 like I previously posted. None the less it's still high. I really do like my 01 even with the issues I've run into. I'm kinda thinking in terms of the old saying "Had I known before what I know now"

I'm not assuming the parts I haven't been able to see are in good order. I'm actually thinking just the opposite. I'm assuming the (ball joints, control arms, motor mounts, snub etc.) are going to need to be replaced due to it's mileage, knowing the shocks are toast along with the experience I've already had with my 01.

The seller stated both axles are bad and until I can get it on the road I won't know for sure if that's the case and what else might be wrong.

On a side note. The seller doesn't know a lick about cars. And not talking bad but I don't think his elevator goes to the top floor if you know what I mean.

He's one of those people that simply drives their car. Brings it in for scheduled service and when it needs something he gets it done. He even commented that he appreciated the knowledge I gave him in regards to the car ;)

Do the tires give me an indication as to how the car was treated? Yes and no. I do wonder how someone could allow tires to get bald and I will ask him. Does the overall condition of a car give me an indication of how the car was treated? It does more than tires do. Other than it being nasty from sitting under a tree. The car is very clean and looks to be well taken care of but again. I will know more after I drive it, get under it, take the engine covers off, scan it and go over it with a fine tooth comb.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Honestly pass it's never worth the trouble.
Would you mind explaining your thinking?

Is this particular year a lemon, any more or less regular known issues than my 01?

I'm more than 110% sure you would have told me to run had you known about the 01 I got lol

You have been a great help in the past whether you've replied to my postings or someone else's

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you really want a project car and can afford what it takes in time and money, Go for it.

But, I would start with a really low offer and stick to it--$100.00 cash.

Make your own list of things it's gonna need.

How about the timing belts? What about the PCV and vac system? Brakes?

Honestly, you're doing the owner a favor in getting it off his property and out of his hair.

He doesn't even need to call 1-800-CARS-FOR-KIDS which is probably his next option.

I have to admit, I'm keeping my eyes open for something like this, too, although I'd probably lean towards another 1.8T.

My 16 son has been helping me on the 02 wagon and it's going to be his first driver. We started with the car for free as a hand-me-over from family. I'd say I've probably got $2500 in parts and labor into it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
It will never be worth the money you put into it. I've dumped mucho $ into mine (shocks, axles, tires, new turbo, exhaust, etc.) and lots of time and I still have problems. If you do the work yourself its more feasible. The electrical issues seems to stem from water ingress/ corroding grounds and are sometimes difficult to trace, however I don't really mind if all the convenience features don't work. My 96 Jetta didn't have reverse for 5 years and that never stopped me form parallel parking. :) All that being said, I love my Passat: I like the way it looks, I like the way it handles and drives (bigger turbo helps) and I've learned much along the way. Don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I'd do it all again.

·
Loose female member
4,889 Posts
Would you mind explaining your thinking?

Is this particular year a lemon, any more or less regular known issues than my 01?

I'm more than 110% sure you would have told me to run had you known about the 01 I got lol

You have been a great help in the past whether you've replied to my postings or someone else's
In my mind it's too many $$ for too many miles and too many issues.
My local pick & pull would want you to pay them to take a car with this sort of condition issues.

Even if you picked it up for $100 and did the work your self, just the parts and time would be more than the finished product would be worth and you would have a high mileage low value Passat.

Just my 2c. I personally would pass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: jjpark

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In my mind it's too many $$ for too many miles and too many issues.
My local pick & pull would want you to pay them to take a car with this sort of condition issues.

Even if you picked it up for $100 and did the work your self, just the parts and time would be more than the finished product would be worth and you would have a high mileage low value Passat.

Just my 2c. I personally would pass.
Thank you for your reply. I get what you're saying. I actually have not minded working on my 01 and if I do happen to get this 04 I am prepared to be working on this one for a long time lol

I think the final decision will be on just how low he's willing to go. I'm going to call a few junk yards to see just how much they would give for it (I'm guessing maybe 200 bucks) and add in the cost for repairs that are known to be needed after I drive it and see.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It will never be worth the money you put into it. I've dumped mucho $ into mine (shocks, axles, tires, new turbo, exhaust, etc.) and lots of time and I still have problems. If you do the work yourself its more feasible. The electrical issues seems to stem from water ingress/ corroding grounds and are sometimes difficult to trace, however I don't really mind if all the convenience features don't work. My 96 Jetta didn't have reverse for 5 years and that never stopped me form parallel parking. :) All that being said, I love my Passat: I like the way it looks, I like the way it handles and drives (bigger turbo helps) and I've learned much along the way. Don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I'd do it all again.
I agree it will never be worth what I put into it however I'm not looking to turn around and sell it either. I will be doing most; if not all the work myself with a few exceptions if it turns into something bigger than I can handle.

Thanks for your input

·
Registered
451 Posts
I love my 04 GLX, a much better car than my 00 GLS ATQ. Tip or 5M? However, most cars need exercise. They are not designed to just sit. They atrophy.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yea I wish it didn't sleep for the months it has. He apparently has started it and let it run for a while each week so I'm hoping that didn't stress it more because I doubt he let it get up to true operating temp without driving it.

It's got the Tiptronic.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I drove the car yesterday for about a 2 miles wasn't able to get it above 35 mph due the neighborhood speed limit.

I had every intention of scanning it, checking the battery and charging system (battery is dead) and really looking it over but it started raining. When 1st started driving it was bouncing up and down and a little side to side. I'm hoping it's because it's sat in the same spot for months with pretty flat bald front tires (flat spot on the tires). The little amount of drive time seemed to reduce the bounce a little less.

Would bad axles cause the bouncing?? I made tight turns in a cul-de-sac and didn't hear any signs of bad CV joints. (Owner was told the axles are bad)

When 1st starting out I got a decent clunk when going in reverse and drive and park. Seemed to lessen as the car warmed up. I'm thinking again that was partially due from sitting for months. I'm assuming I'll need to replace the mounts to the motor, trans and snub mount unless the service records provide otherwise.

Brakes seem to work as they should after driving.

Unfortunately it's almost pouring and the car dies a mile out from his house (drivers window down) while I was going in reverse to see if I could hear clicking from the axles.
(I was pretty much at a snails pace while doing this, didn't notice any clicking)

It was deader than a door nail. Got it jumped and it started right up. Drove it back the owners house.

Check engine light came on. Owner says that's been coming on and going off randomly for a while and the dealer can't find it's reason but he said he's able to pass inspection after getting it reset ( I am very very questionable about that)

I hope to have what service records the dealer has after work today and will look them over as well as talk with them to see if they can tell me ya or nay on this car.

PS. There has been one other person that's shown interest and has offered him $675.00 Down from the original $875.00. He's willing to come down even more for me since I've shown more interest. But how low is he willing to go???I ball parked my offer around $450/500 because of what just happened and my offer might go down even more and he didn't give me a no and almost agreed with me lol.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If some other dude really did offer him $675 then he should taken it, but you're here and he'll go lower for you? Pshhhh! Really? He should have snagged the $675 and been done with it. Truth is, you're the only guy interested in it, and he knows it. Heck, you probably drove up to his place in your other Passat to look at it, didn't you? He thinks he's reeling you in. He knows that it's only worth a couple hundo to a scrapper to come haul it away, which is his next move if you walk.

If you really want this project car, I'd bring MAX $200 cashola along with you and start at $100.

And it sounds like you should probably add an alternator to the list of stuff that needs replaced. You've probably got $1000 to $1500 in parts for a car that's worth $850 and falling.

You did make your list of stuff it's going to need, didn't you? Hit him with that looong expensive list.

Really, you're doing him a favor taking it off his hands.

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
When 1st starting out I got a decent clunk when going in reverse and drive and park. Seemed to lessen as the car warmed up. I'm thinking again that was partially due from sitting for months. I'm assuming I'll need to replace the mounts to the motor, trans and snub mount unless the service records provide otherwise.
More likely to be transmission trouble, either low fluid or worse. Add (potentially) a few thousand to your repair estimates.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts