Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today my family is going to drive the 1.8t 4mo and possibly the TDI, but because, or atleast I believe you can only get the TDI in the FWD this amazing engine is not an option.

But it looks like there will be two passats in the driveway :lol:

I will let you guys know what happens, I'm just excited to get to drive this car. :D

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
drove the 1.8t 4mo. i dont konw how the stock 1.8t FWD is, but until the turbo spools up the car is kinda sluggish. I guess it could be that I drive the W8, and the only other car i have driven are the audi a4 3.0's so it is a little slower than those.

They had a TDI on the lot but the sales people were swamped and we waited 30 min to drive the 1.8t. the next step is to work out pricing, but it looks like a 1.8t 4mo or a v6 will be arriving on my driveway by the end of the month :D

I already started a list for mods, but my brothers response was, I will charge you $10 an hour if you want to tune my car. He just wants it to start everyday, and be black with black interior... so we will see

·
Registered
659 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
drove the 1.8t 4mo. i dont konw how the stock 1.8t FWD is, but until the turbo spools up the car is kinda sluggish.
Was it TIP or 5spd? The unchipped 1.8T is a bit sluggish. The unchipped 1.8T w/TIP was very sluggish (this was back when they were only 150 HP stock). I have not driven this combo with both chips (TIP and ECU).

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ooinn99 said:
jeffsu350 said:
drove the 1.8t 4mo. i dont konw how the stock 1.8t FWD is, but until the turbo spools up the car is kinda sluggish.
Was it TIP or 5spd? The unchipped 1.8T is a bit sluggish. The unchipped 1.8T w/TIP was very sluggish (this was back when they were only 150 HP stock). I have not driven this combo with both chips (TIP and ECU).
well imagine the stock unchipped 1.8t tip ... then imagine the stock 1.8t with the added power robber of 4mo, so yeah, everything is working against this car.

I was very surprised with the suspension, it seemed much tighter than my W8 when it was stock, almost like it had a 1BE set-up or something.

I also was a little confused with the new heads-up display, the LCD in the middle of the gagues, it had a huge blank space up top, that i could only get to show when i door was open, and then all the other functions were in smaller text at the bottom. it had the same options as mine, but when i turned on the monsoon system the radio station didn't display in the huge portion or any portion of the screen, which confused me greatly. not sure if something was wrong with it, or there is anohter way to turn on the radio :???:

except for the lag before 3000 rpms i liked it a lot. basically to get it out of a driveway you give it a lot of gas or crawl along, and then as the rpms rise you start to move. The turbo sound inside the cabin also surprised me, it was very very quite and understated. when i ran next to a 1.8t with my window open i could hear the turbo much more. not sure if there is just much more sound deadening stuff to prevent this, or if the 1.8t i heard had some modifications to it, it was lowered on 19 chromies.

basically, if we can get an awesome deal on a v6 4mo we will get that, otherwise the w8 will have a 1.8t sibling

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
jeffsu350 said:
I also was a little confused with the new heads-up display, the LCD in the middle of the gagues, it had a huge blank space up top, that i could only get to show when i door was open, and then all the other functions were in smaller text at the bottom. it had the same options as mine, but when i turned on the monsoon system the radio station didn't display in the huge portion or any portion of the screen, which confused me greatly. not sure if something was wrong with it, or there is anohter way to turn on the radio :???:
only the W8's get that nifty full screen display w/ the radio/display and what not :(

that's they way it's always been w/ u.s. passats

·
Registered
659 Posts
[/quote]
well imagine the stock unchipped 1.8t tip ... then imagine the stock 1.8t with the added power robber of 4mo, so yeah, everything is working against this car.
[/quote]

Sad to hear,

I was thinking about picking up a 1.8T 4mo w/5spd and passing on my 1.8T FWD w/5spd to my daughter (when she reaches driving age). Note: the stock ECU would be installed before she gets the car and be used as a carrot for good behavior. :wink:

If the 1.8T 4mo is that sluggish, I am wondering if an ECU chip would even be able to resurrect the car?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Are the W8's 4mo? There is a used silver W8 TIP w/black leather on a dealer's lot near my home; yes, I drive by routinely. My wife will not let me near the car...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
w8's are 4mo's, and i had no idea the w8 had a speical heads-up display thing

i am wondering why people dont install the W8 LCD screen, im assuming the monsoon system is exactly the same, why not just hook up the W8 screen>

unless someone already tried this

·
Registered
11 Posts
B5.5 W8 wagon purchase

Hey fellow w8 owners, I have a couple of questions
1 - Whats a good price for a 2004 used w8 wagon (used by the GM of the dealer)
2 - What shoudl i look for in wear and tear
3 - What are the services like in terms of cost and maintenance intervals plus expectations
4 - Is it worth it since they are no longer in production, or wait for the next best thing

Thnak you :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.