Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an OEM Big Brake kit on its way in the mail. The ’98-99 B5’s have small rear rotors. I realize the front brakes provide a greater portion of the braking energy dissipation; hence the larger rotors on the front. However…

Borrowing the Audi A8 front brake upgrade idea (net gain of 33mm outward caliper movement), has anyone tried mounting a set of AWD rear rotors on their FWD Passat.

Based on my calculations, you would obtain a net gain of roughly 24mm outward caliper movement. I would think you could possibly do the same thing as the A8 kit: caliper carrier and rotor (reuse existing caliper). Just looking at my Bentley, the idea appears plausible.

The AWD rotor has many more holes in the rotor housing, so I do not know if that would be an issue. It seems to me that they would go unused, as long as the bolt pattern aligns properly.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was thinking of hitting a wrecking yard in the valley the next time I was in Mo-town. I was going to check how much they were asking for: 2 caliper carriers and a rotor. The only reason I would get the rotor was to ensure the setup works. I would not actually run the rotor on the car; much cheaper than buying a new rotor just to experiment.

Since I am looking for a very specific setup, the wrecking yard may have to use their locator network.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
crew217 said:
not possible . . .
Initially, I am going off the Bentley brake exploded view. I do not have the lug displacement measurements, etc. Before I went further (purchased anything), I was going to post a thread asking a 4mo owner about lug displacements, sizes and other measurement/fitment issues.

Could you elaborate on the limiting element(s)?

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
not quite sure . . . but i believe it has to do with the caliper carrier mounting . . . as it doesn't mount the same FWD versus AWD . . . also different rotor to hub offsets . . . .

Dave

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Ooinn99

That revalation that you had is a grand one.

But if you visit this website they have done it but only on an AWD car

www.bira.org

The first time I called I asked ECStuning if they ever thought of bring one out and He that they had one in the works but they weren't sure if they were going to put it on the market.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the link, enlightening. I have an e-mail out to the author of the 10.6” rear brake kit. The website authors did not see the need for larger rear rotors:

“Further, contrary to many opinions, we do not see the need for rear brake upgrades on our cars other than to look sharp and lighten your wallet (and they do both very well...) Track testing by members has shown that stock rear brakes are usually sufficient when used with a good set of better-compound pads (we prefer Kerr Friction pads from Paul Weston Motorsports) and good quality rotors. For example, most of the Speedvision Touring Cars use stock rear brakes. If they don't need them for the track, why do you?”

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.