Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '03 1.8t and it seems to be eating driver's side fog lights. At about 3.5 years of ownership the driver's side fog light burned out for the first time. I went to my local Napa and bought a set of two new fog light bulbs thinking the passenger side light would be to far behind the driver's side light in burning out. So, I replaced the driver's side fog light and left the passenger's side fog light alone. 2 months of use on the new fog light and it burned out. I thought this was old but when I replaced the it with the second new bulb I had I found that I had accidently pinched the lead wire to the bulb in the retainer clip and the wire was browned. So, I figured I had burned the wire out by installing it incorrectly. I was more careful putting in the second new bulb, but now less than 2 months later that one is burned out too. So, what do you think. I did buy a bad set of bulbs or do I have an electrical problem somewhere I don't know about that is sending too much juice to this bulb? FYI - I have a Euroswitch that I installed shortly after putting in the first new bulb. I also have the fog lights on anytime I have by headlights on.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I have an '03 1.8t and it seems to be eating driver's side fog lights. At about 3.5 years of ownership the driver's side fog light burned out for the first time. I went to my local Napa and bought a set of two new fog light bulbs thinking the passenger side light would be to far behind the driver's side light in burning out. So, I replaced the driver's side fog light and left the passenger's side fog light alone. 2 months of use on the new fog light and it burned out. I thought this was old but when I replaced the it with the second new bulb I had I found that I had accidently pinched the lead wire to the bulb in the retainer clip and the wire was browned. So, I figured I had burned the wire out by installing it incorrectly. I was more careful putting in the second new bulb, but now less than 2 months later that one is burned out too. So, what do you think. I did buy a bad set of bulbs or do I have an electrical problem somewhere I don't know about that is sending too much juice to this bulb? FYI - I have a Euroswitch that I installed shortly after putting in the first new bulb. I also have the fog lights on anytime I have by headlights on.
Maybe it's just because you use them whenever your headlights are on. That's alot. I dunno, how many people use their fogs that much?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that could be too, but I see lot of cars that run that way. However, I don't know how often they change their bulbs. I have my wife's Escape setup the same way and I haven't change a bulb on that yet and it's got more miles on it then my car does.

·
Registered
9,414 Posts
Maybe it's just because you use them whenever your headlights are on. That's alot. I dunno, how many people use their fogs that much?
i used them alllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the time

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so I'm guess you don't have them burning out every few months? Have you replaced either of them yet, and do you remember what brand of bulb you replaced them with?

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Maybe you know this, not everyone does. When handling new bulbs do not tough the bulb glass. Fingerprints can lead to premature bulb failure. Might be what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I run mine all the time too - never had a problem with stock bulbs.
I replaced them (for looks and briteness) with Sylvania Silver Star.
No problem with them either - I think they have anew "Ultra" out, too.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been careful with handling the bulbs, so as to not touch them, so that shouldn't be the problem. I must have just bought some bad bulbs. I try the Sylvania Silver Stars and see if I have any better luck. Thanks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FIXED!!! - Turns out my friendly folks at my neighborhood Napa are useless. I went to AutoZone last night to get yet another replacement fog light bulb and discovered that there are two H3 bulbs that look a like but have different wattages. I asked the guy which wattage I was supposed to have and he said 55. After buying this bulb I went out and replace my burned out fog light and sure enough it was a 100 Watt bulb. No wonder if kept burning out. I thought it was odd that the bulb never looked burned out, but the lead wire was always brown instead of white. I guess I learned my lesson. Don't trust the parts person behind the counter.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Takes about 5 minutes. Pop off the plastic cover, unscrew the three screws, swap out the bulbs, screw back in, replace cover. Pretty simple.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts