Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to buy WigWag headlight flashers (for EMS) and I keep running into this issue. I have a B5.5 and I'm trying to figure out if my car has positive or ground side switched headlights... I'm not even sure what the difference is or how to tell. Can anyone help me out?

The product in question: http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=FS039
They list the Jetta and Golf as compatible so I'm not sure... Also, several people have installed it on cars not on the list and it has worked perfectly. It's only $20 so I'm thinking of just buying it and seeing if it works.

:salute:

· Registered
676 Posts
Installing a Galls Wig-Wag unit

Okay, here are instructions for installing the Galls Wig Wag Flasher with Built-in Switch (item FS039) on a B5.5. Installation of other models is probably similar, but without a wiring installation guide, I can't be certain. We'll be using figure 3 on these instructions.

First, disconnect the battery and remove the lower dash panel below the steering wheel. Locate a #30 post on terminal 503:

You will attach the red wire from the Galls unit to this post. Confirm that the wire or the unit contains a fuse. If neither does, now is the time to install a 20A in-line fuse between the #30 post and the Galls unit. (The #30 designation means the terminal is always hot. See a Bosch wiring guide for more automotive electrical terminal designations.)

Galls recommends running wires from their unit, through the firewalls, and right up to the headlight wiring harnesses. This assures you that you have bypassed all relays and fuses used for normal operation, and it avoids the possibility of light malfunction due to an electrical short or disconnect along those normal wires. You certainly can run these four wires from beneath your dash out to the harnesses, but I would consider that to be too much of a hassle. I recently earned by Wilderness First Responder certification and might end up doing this modification to my B5 soon. If so, I won't be running new wires through my firewall. Fortunately, you can interrupt the high beam wires at any point between the fuse box and the bulbs themselves. Since the fuse box wiring harness contains dozens of lines, a great place to make your connections will be at the 10-pin (diver's side) and 6-pin (passenger's side) connection stations.

On the driver's side, remove the kick panel to the left of the dead pedal. You'll see a bank of 17 wiring harness of many colors. Find pink connector number 10 in the middle row on the right side. At terminal #4, you should see a 1.5 mm^2 / 14 gauge wire with white and black stripes. If there are two, try to identify the one that leads to the bulb, not the one from the fuse box. Cut this wire here or at the driver's side headlamp wiring harness (if you ran the wires through the firewall). Attach the brown wire from the Galls unit on the upstream end of the cut white/black wire, and the white wire from the Galls unit on the downstream end leading out to the bulb.

For the passenger connection, run the yellow and green wires from the Galls unit beneath the dash to the passenger side A-pillar. Opposite the driver's side bank of electrical connectors is another bank. In the middle row on the left side of the bank is pink connector number 8. In slot number 4 on the connector will be a 1.5 mm^2 / 14 gauge wire with white and yellow stripes. Again, if there are two wires of the same color, determine which wire comes from the fuse box and which wire heads out to the headlamp. Cut the wire downstream of the pink connector and attach the yellow wire from the Galls unit on the upstream end of the cut white/yellow wire, and the green wire from the Galls unit on the downstream end leading out to the bulb.

Now reconnect the battery and test your switch. The flashing unit should work (a) when the ignition and high beams are off, (b) when the engine is off but the high beam stalk is pulled back into the "flash" position, (c) when the engine is running but the high beams are off, and (d) when the engine and high beams are on. If there's a problem, first check your connections then PM me or post back here.

Good luck and thanks for working in the EMS field!

· Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow thanks for all that info :bowdown:

I just ordered it on Sunday so hopefully it'll be here by the end of the week, and I'll be installing it this weekend. Expect some PMs with clueless questions :lol::lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.