Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i own a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird.......stop laughing...........ok well its an automatic and it frequently stalls.............i used some fuel injector cleaner but it still stalls........anyone know why? :(

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
VWandWRX said:
Hey i own a 1990 Pontiac Sunbird.......stop laughing...........ok well its an automatic and it frequently stalls.............i used some fuel injector cleaner but it still stalls........anyone know why? :(
First off we all have had POS's at one time or another, so what ever anyone says ignore them. Second, how many miles, and what type of maintance have been done on this car? There are many reasons that a car might stall. Just not doing regular maintance could cause issues that you are dealing with.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well it just passed the 80,000 mark and i just bought it...............its my first car..........all the work that was done to it so fay was new muffler, oil change, and i put in fuel injector cleaner................thats it

·
0 Posts
New spark plugs cables and caps and rotors, plus clean the injectors and check you line fuel and vacume!

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
I had a 1991 Sunbird and had the same issues. It sounds like your throttle body needs cleaning. When you clean your throttle body, a shop will usually sand blast it. But most DIY people do it easier and CHEAPER.

Get yourself a bag of sand from Home Depot. Disconnect the intake hose from the throttle body so that the throttle plate is exposed. Start the car and have a friend rev the engine to 4000 rpms. Using a funnel, begin pouring sand into the throttle body. The vaccume pressure will suck the sand into the throttle and begin cleaning the throttle body. You engine may begin to choke, so your friend should increase the RPMs until it smoothes out again.

I did this with my 1991 Sunbird and it fixed the stalling. Good luck. :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts