Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car: White B5
Polisher: Porter Cable 7242 dual-action polisher
Paint condition: Pretty good. No oxidation, just just swirl marks visible only when you look closely.

To remove the swirl marks, what do I use? Meguiar's M105 or M205. And with what pad? Country Lake white or do I need something more aggressive? I currently have M205 and white Country Lake pad.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
You only have so much clear coat!! Be as gentle as possible and Always start less aggressive and move up if needed. I would use Meg. Fine Cut Cleaner or the 205 with an Orange or White pad if that's what you have. Only way to be more aggressive would be if you have a paint thickness gauge and know exactly what you are dealing with. Plus you don't know the history of what may have been done to the paint in the past. I would not advise a "full correction" in any case.

Autotopia and Autogeek have great forums on detailin. Both sites are owned by the same company.

Here's a couple charts for you.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg

Autogeek Buffing Pad Comparison Chart

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the suggestions.

I am the original owner of the car. The only time I had it detailed was about 8 years ago. The shop used a dual-action polisher, but I don't know what pad or liquid was used. The paint was in pretty good condition, so I would have to think the shop wasn't that aggressive. I'll go to autopia and autogeek.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Don't be alarmed by the above .. with the #205 and a white pad your dealing with minimal cut at all , more of just a clean up. I use #105 followed by #205 often . For your car I'd suggest Optimum Technologies Ultimate polish on an orange pad .. very noob friendly and longer working time. If your swirl marks are only visible in the right light and looking closely you can remove them without fear.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts