Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My passt is 2002 style, and I bought a Porsche keyless remote(see picture), and I found the key blade is changeable as VW keyless remote.
Now I got a question, is it possible I cut the porsche cayenne key blade to my VW, and use the Porsche Cayenne remote to my VW?? As I know VW & Porsche now is cooperation reationship, Can I use this porsche keyless remote to start & remote my VW??Anyone , any idea??And how to copy the remote,is it the same like we copy VW remote??

By the way, About the security chip inside the keyless remote, anyone know about this?? If I bought a 2002 VW keyless remote from ebay, and change and re-cut the key blade, is this new keyless remote can be started my car, how about the security chip??

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
If you follow the procedure in the owners manual, you will be able to program the remote to LOCK and UNLOCK the doors. However, without the aid of a stealership or a VAG-COM, you will not be able to program the TRANSPONDER in the remote and you will not be able to drive with that key. THat's what the guys at flea-bay don't tell you. You can crank the car and the engine will turn over but seconds later, the engine will cut off and you'll get the courtesy lights in the dash.

HTHs!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To S_klass

Do you mean I can't start my car because the security?!?!
What Should I do, go to Dealer, and re-program by them??
Is it possible just run by VGA-COM, and then the chip inside
the remote can be recognized by security system, or there is
something should be replaced??
I saw other topic mention about switch blade remote can be used
to their VW, They said they use Banjo key to the switch blade remote,
Why they can use this switch remote to start the engine??

Welly

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
awingshih people who have a banjo key don't have a transponder, IIRC. So they can mount their key into a switchblade and just use that remote. If you already have a switchblade, your car only works with a transponder chip that is embedded in the key, which only the stealership can reprogram.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
True - you can also tell if there is a W on the base of the key. There's the immobilizer that is also part of the transponder. In reality, you need to take the above key and all your other car keys to the dealer or someone with a Vag com and they ALL need to be reprogrammed to be in sync with each other.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
It's not a transponder chip. It's simply a precision resistor. Each resistor has it's own resistor value. Your car needs to be "taught" to recognize that resistor value. It's the VAG-COM tool that "teaches" the car to recognize each specific resistor.

Now, I don't know if VWs only accept resistor values within a certain range, and I don't know if the resistor in your Porsche falls within that range. The main issue is whether the Porsche resistor has values that your car will accept.

It all comes down to what's already been said: You'll have to try programming (what I've called "teaching") the car to accept the Porsche remote at a dealership (I'm pretty sure the programming process involves access to a VW database or somthing like that).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
i like those porsche keys....looks like a mini cayanne
Wow, I hadn't even noticed!

·
Registered
773 Posts
What I guess from the above discussion is that if we had a pre 2001 MY car which does not have the transponder (immobilizer) then it is should be easy to program the remote for a Passat like mine which is a MY1999 :) . Is that true? :???:

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
You still have to worry about radio frequencies matching up, and that the "rolling code" selection algorithm is correct. You could always try switching out the circuit boards, hoping they'd fit and match up with the buttons on the case....

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
S_Klass said:
If you follow the procedure in the owners manual, you will be able to program the remote to LOCK and UNLOCK the doors. However, without the aid of a stealership or a VAG-COM, you will not be able to program the TRANSPONDER in the remote and you will not be able to drive with that key. THat's what the guys at flea-bay don't tell you. You can crank the car and the engine will turn over but seconds later, the engine will cut off and you'll get the courtesy lights in the dash.

HTHs!
Interesting. I have programed a few remotes I got from Ebay, without issue.. Whenver one gets ratted or dropped in the toilet (Thanks to my daughter on that one) I just get a new one for about 1/8 the cost, program it in the door and go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will try to reprogram the Porsche remote to My VW,But.....

I will try to reprogram the Porsche remote to My VW,But Anyone can tell me the process!!I will let you guys know, the Porsche remote's radio frequencies matching VW up or Not!!

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Thought this might be useful for those who don't know how the switchblade setup is like. FYI, mine is a 1999 (Pre-2000) so it doesn't have immobilizer.

Also what I do every time is I simply transplant the original circuit board (the green board) to a new switchblade case every time so I don't have any issues with reprogramming.

Nothing to do with I want an Audi switchblade, but in the past when I shopped for these switchblades it always turned out that the Audi ones were cheaper than the VW ones hence I've gone through two Audi ones so far. This is my current setup (it's funny how my key confuses the valet guys):

This is how much switchblades I've gone through so far:

This is how a switchblade completely dismantled look like:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Re: Curious

awingshih said:
I am curious, Doesn't Audi Switchblade's radio frequencies matching VW's??
Some do some don't. You have to check the part number of the remote you receive, where the last digit/alphabet on the P/N determines it. Do a search on switchblades and there should be a thread that discusses it.

For example, the P/N on the Audi remotes I have is 4D0 837 231 E - I have two (2) of them. The P/N on the VW remotes I have is HL0 1J0 959 753 F.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts