Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching these for a while now, but I'm still looking for any experience or not-so-obvious facts about these two series of the 911.

Anyone know anything other than what has already been said? :D Every little bit helps...

Thnx,
Harry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
i own an '84 with 150k on the clock

you can do allot of work on it without dropping the motor, just not a whole lot of room to play with.

best bet, learn to do your own maintenence. it is an air cooled flat 6, keep it cool and it will last forever (see highway) let it heat up in stop and go traffic and your maintenence will be high.

because of the geometry sometimes some oil gets past the rings. monitor your oil gage and change your spark plugs every 10k miles.

best bet: learn to do your own maintenence. i dont have a lift, i just use jack stands and ive never had a problem doing anthing. the dealer is super expensive and so are new parts but dismantle shops like http://www.germanautodismantlers.com/ are a termendous, resource so is www.pelicanparts.com for whatever you cant find used.

have fun! nothing like the sound of the air cooled flat 6!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,780 Posts
Are you looking at a 964 or 993? If you're looking at a 964, I'd say skip it. If for nothing else, the resale. The 964 is the least desirable of the 911's by almost all accounts. Either save up for the 993 (it's worth it...or buy a nice Carrera...also worth it). As for the 993, like most later model 911's, the engine is pretty bullet-proof. If you're looking at a car that burns a quart every 1000 miles, skip it! That is not normal!

I'm curious, are you looking at a specific car? If you questions are general in nature, you'll find that a good 911 will require no more maintenance then any other car...certainly, no dropping of engines and such. As mentioned, check out:

www.pelicanparts.com

and

www.rennlist.com
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
J-RAD said:
Are you looking at a 964 or 993? If you're looking at a 964, I'd say skip it. If for nothing else, the resale. The 964 is the least desirable of the 911's by almost all accounts. Either save up for the 993 (it's worth it...or buy a nice Carrera...also worth it). As for the 993, like most later model 911's, the engine is pretty bullet-proof. If you're looking at a car that burns a quart every 1000 miles, skip it! That is not normal!

I'm curious, are you looking at a specific car? If you questions are general in nature, you'll find that a good 911 will require no more maintenance then any other car...certainly, no dropping of engines and such. As mentioned, check out:

www.pelicanparts.com

and

www.rennlist.com
I have considered the '93-94 Carrera 2 and 4 from the 964 series, and also the '95 993 series. I would rather not go any lower than '92 or '93 simply because I have been reading that there were a lot of updates and added gaskets to once gasket-less parts of the motor post-1991. ALso, I would only buy a Carrera.

One of the reasons why I am considering a 911 in the first place is for resale value, which still seems to be very high in the 964 series since they're known for their great reliability, though I bet you're right in saying that the 993 series has an even better resale value since it's newer, more sexy-looking, and there are less of them.
That said, I can't lie by telling you that I wouldn't go for a good, low-mileage 92-94 Carrera though. Even they, as old as they are now, have much better resale values than 95% of production cars that I know of.

I'm not dead-set on a Porsche yet though, I'm just kicking around the idea and trying to find out as much as I can about them. I actually have a couple other reliable sports cars that are much newer (C5 Corvette, Supra Turbo, etc.) that I am considering as well, but whose resale value, desirability, is not as high. Problem with the Corvette is that I need to drive it in the winter, and while the active handling of the Corvette makes it a dream to drive, they're impossible to get snow tires on due to how wide the wheels are. I still have to look into that though, but I know that if one were to put thinner, deeper-treaded tires on a C5 with active handling, etc, it would be a damn good winter driver for a rear-drive car.

My next car MUST be rear- or all-wheel-drive. No more front! :p

Thoughts?

-Harry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,780 Posts
SDPassatT said:
I have considered the '93-94 Carrera 2 and 4 from the 964 series, and also the '95 993 series. I would rather not go any lower than '92 or '93 simply because I have been reading that there were a lot of updates and added gaskets to once gasket-less parts of the motor post-1991. ALso, I would only buy a Carrera.

One of the reasons why I am considering a 911 in the first place is for resale value, which still seems to be very high in the 964 series since they're known for their great reliability, though I bet you're right in saying that the 993 series has an even better resale value since it's newer, more sexy-looking, and there are less of them.
That said, I can't lie by telling you that I wouldn't go for a good, low-mileage 92-94 Carrera though. Even they, as old as they are now, have much better resale values than 95% of production cars that I know of.

I'm not dead-set on a Porsche yet though, I'm just kicking around the idea and trying to find out as much as I can about them. I actually have a couple other reliable sports cars that are much newer (C5 Corvette, Supra Turbo, etc.) that I am considering as well, but whose resale value, desirability, is not as high. Problem with the Corvette is that I need to drive it in the winter, and while the active handling of the Corvette makes it a dream to drive, they're impossible to get snow tires on due to how wide the wheels are. I still have to look into that though, but I know that if one were to put thinner, deeper-treaded tires on a C5 with active handling, etc, it would be a damn good winter driver for a rear-drive car.

My next car MUST be rear- or all-wheel-drive. No more front! :p

Thoughts?

-Harry
Just a couple points for clarification:

Generally, when speaking about the 911, they are grouped by and referred to by model years. For this discussion:
The model years from 84 - 89 are referred to as Carreras.
The 90 (and some '89's - C4 only) - 94 model years are referred to as 964.
MY95 - 98 are referred to as 993.

You may find this helpful:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/911/technical_specs/911_guthrie_faq.htm

A good Carrera is almost always more desirable than a 964 because it is considered by many to still be "the" purists sports car. The 964 is not as desirable because of weight, exterior design, and other "refinements". The 993 is the last of the air-cooled and arguably one of the most beautiful 911 designs.

I'd stick with the rear-drive but that's just me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
Here is the car you want.

www.rsamerica.net

What exactly is an RS America?
The RS America is a lightened, limited edition, performance version of the venerable Porsche® 911 Carrera® made for the 1993 model year that Porsche® say was inspired by the original 1973 Carrera® RS produced exactly 20 years earlier.

The original 1973 Carrera® RS was available in Europe but unfortunately not in the USA. Porsche® decided to build the 1993 Carrera® RS both to European spec and a limited number in compliance with US regulations. These US spec cars were assigned the name “RS America”.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
The last of the Carreras are considered some of the most bulletproof of 911s recently. They hold their value really well, sometimes more than the 964s that followed them.

Maybe you should start reading Excellence magazine. I've subscribed now for half a year and it's so enjoyable to read. Tech articles, market updates, all that jazz.

Maybe you could also go to the 911 SC, little bit older but awesome cars. The classic upright look, Fuchs alloys, etc.

Good luck, I wish I was as advanced in the buying/research stage as you are.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all for the info so far! Every little bit helps--trust me.

J-RAD,

Here's what I *think* I know about the 911 up until the introduction of the 993 in 1995. By all means, correct me if I'm wrong...

1974-1977 - Carrera - (Apparently these were slightly problematic)

1978-1983 - Carrera SC - (These cars are known as the most reliable to-date. I personally know someone who has a 1978 SC. That motor didn't need to be rebuilt until 320000 miles!!!) :shock: :bow:

1984-1989 - Carrera 3.2 - (Also some of the best ever produced, with many upgrades over the SC. Larger rotors. Also the first to have DME fuel and ignition.) About 200 hp.

1989-1994 - 964 Series - (Carrera 2's & 4's-- Slight stray from the "classic 911" design. This includes the automatic rear spoiler that lifts at 50mph for downforce and to double the volume of air intake to the motor. Lower drag coefficient, too.) This model has 250 hp. I believe this is the model I want since it has an airbag and 50 extra ponies.

So why isn't a 964-series Carrera 2 or 4 referred to as a Carrera? Just a "964" even though they say Carrera down the side and on the back? :???:

I love all the models, especially the Carrera SC, but it's a touch too old for me as I'd like mine to have at least a little electronic technology mixed in. Not to mention a more powerful motor. I'd love to get a 964-Carrera 2. :heart: Or as someone stated above, an RS America! :bow: I'm keeping my eyes peeled for 993's as well...

Porsche talk is always cool; I wish this thread could go on forever. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
If you're going with a 993 you might want to make sure you get the one with VarioCam.

Do you read Excellence mag? It's really really good stuff. How about Paul Frere's always-being-updated book "The 911 Story?

I'm with you...911 is the ultimate 4-wheel vehicle for the street.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,780 Posts
The bottom line is that only you can decide what's right for you. They're all good cars. And if you prefer the 964, then by all means go for it.

The RSA is a great car but it's also fairly rare, and as such commands a higher price usually.

As for why the cars are referred to as they are...I don't know. I suppose it's the same reason we some of us refer to the Passat as a B5. The later models (beginning with the 964) are generally referenced by the Porsche internal model designation (964, 993, 996, and now the 997). The older ones usually refer to engine displacement (2.7, 3.0, or 3.2) or SC (for Super Carrera, although nobody really refers to it in the long form...these are the 3.0 models) or Carrera (3.2 models).

Good luck! Whatever you decide, I'm sure you'll be very happy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Carrera is an Italian stands for sport. Carrera denotes the normally aspirated models of 911, a designation that distinct itself from Turbo. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,116 Posts
DenimA4CVT said:
Carrera is an Italian stands for sport. Carrera denotes the normally aspirated models of 911, a designation that distinct itself from Turbo. :)
Damn, guess the factory screwed up when they built the 1974 Carrera RSR Turbo 2.14 then?

The designation doesn't have anything to do with the engine.. and it doesn't mean sport, either. Porsche doesn't label their cars with "sport." They're all "sport" versions :) The name comes from a race in Mexico that Porsche was competitive in during the 50s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,780 Posts
Macabre said:
Porsche doesn't label their cars with "sport." They're all "sport" versions :)
And I suppose that even that's technically not always true either..."Club Sport" models. :wink: :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
79 911SC Targa here. Dad has a 91 C4 Targa. I've had a a couple Porsche's over the years, I've seen my dad go through several more. My best advice is to buy the nicest, lowest mileage model you can find and can afford. Some models may be more desireable, but they are all great cars - there really weren't any built in the last 20 years that I wouldn't consider if a pristine example was found. Remember, no matter who you buy it from or how nice it seems, spend the $150 and get a mechanical inspection done by a reputable shop (preferrably the one you plan on using) before signing the papers.

After you get one, join the Porsche Club. The best $42/year you will ever spend.



 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,198 Posts
Regarding the Targa top, is there a common issue that the roof's mechanism is very complicated and take a lot of $$$ to fix? :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts
put the targa top in the front trunk the wrong way and you're looking at buying a new hood.

if you're buying a 911 wouldn't you want a steel roof and the stiffest body structure possible?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Medrosje said:
put the targa top in the front trunk the wrong way and you're looking at buying a new hood.

if you're buying a 911 wouldn't you want a steel roof and the stiffest body structure possible?
Yes, I want a coupe with a sunroof. Targas are nice, but to me that would be like buying an M3 convertible. You have this awesome track car that ends up having a ton of body flex (and added weight) just from being a convertible. Although, the extra sun is probably nice. 8)
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top