Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2001.5 V6 GLX 5 speed FWD mileage is poor. I get about 17 mpg average. I recently drove around for 1 full tank driving like your grandmother: no jackrabbit starts, shift below 2K RPM, get all the way into 5th gear even at 40 mph, coast on downhills, etc. Result, 17.4 MPG.

MPG is "real" MPG, determined by how much I had to fill the tank divided by miles driven, no topping off.

My daily commute is usually about 5 miles, I rarely make long highway trips, about 60-70 % of driving is stop and go, with traffic lights every 1/4 to 1/2 mile, averaging 20-40 mph. The other 30-40% is highway averaging 75 MPH, but also for short distances, usually less than 5 miles at a time. Its also somewhat hilly, not mountainous, but a lot of up and down. I always use 93 octane. Tire pressures around 34 PSI, stock 16" wheels. No obvious brake dragging or dead cats caught in the wheels.

Vagged my car, no codes. LTFT is -3 to +3.

Given all this, is my poor mileage just do to the short hop driving I'm doing?

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
On my 2001.5 V6 Tip, I get (on average) 330 - 350 miles between tank ups. I do about a 85%/15% highway/surface street mix. I average 75 mph on the freeway and at that speed, I see 28-30 mph on the MFD. My daily commute is almost 30 miles each way.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think it's your drive. All stop and start and slow speed. That'll do it. To test, fill the tank, take 'er out for a nice long highway drive at a comfortable but not ridiculous speed (65-70). Use the cruise control. Try and burn 1/4 tank or so, then fill up again and calculate your MPG. It should be much closer to "normal" spec. Just my $.02

P.S. Make sure the tires are at LEAST up to spec inflation or +2-4 PSI.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Do you drive with AC constantly? At full blast? It does seem kind of low.

·
Fore!
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I live in CT, so haven't had the a/c on for a while. I do leave my climatronic set somewhere between 66 and 70, on auto, but that's usually just a little heating this time of year.

·
Registered
902 Posts
S_Klass said:
On my 2001.5 V6 Tip, I get (on average) 330 - 350 miles between tank ups. I do about a 85%/15% highway/surface street mix. I average 75 mph on the freeway and at that speed, I see 28-30 mph on the MFD. My daily commute is almost 30 miles each way.
I used to get exactly this kind of milage before I switched over to 17" Charlestons with Contiextremes, from 15" Adelades. Now I get 300 miles between tank ups. :sad:

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I usually get around 15-16, but I drive, well... like a kid... so thats why. Do you use premium fuel? It may be your speed that is affecting your milage, driving like a grandma doesn't mean you get good milage... Do a highway run for 45 minutes-An hour and see if your milage changes at all.

FYI, it could be your E-Brake that froze because of the cold weather... might wanna check it out (lots of snow or rain can make the cable rust)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Using just the trip computer, I get 18 or so, on my averages, highway from 21 to 24 depending on the length of the trip (it takes forever on the highway to make up for those local roads getting to the onramp!). Local short rides I get like 10-14, but do a majority of the highway that i mentioned first.

It seems low to me too :(

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Have you looked at your snow/slush screen to see if its clear?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Your milage is about right for the kind of drives you do. Your engine will not have warmed up within 5 miles, so all your mpg is done on a cold engine, stop and go with traffic lights.

My commute is very similar to yours, and i get around 17mpg, and thats to a UK gallon, not a US gallon. UK gallons are bigger. On a long run of about 80 miles or more an at 70mph most of the way, i can get it up to about 34 mpg (uk).

·
Registered
871 Posts
With AUTO on you still have AC working, even if for heating. Try ECON, since you don't need cooling. Tires is a big issue too, of course.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
When you take your highway trip, throw in a bottle of Techron or some other fuel injector cleaner. Once out on the highway and engine temps are at operating level and traffice permits take a few shots from 65-80/90 let the revs get up over 5 grand a couple times. It probably needs a good "Italian Tune Up". Then drive at a around 70 for a while.

Disclaimer: I assume no reponsibility nor condone the practice of breaking any traffic laws in your area. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
My fuel mileage is shitty too. I get like average 120mi-140mi per tank in my 1999 V6 FWD Tip. I top around 13 gallons each time (pumping right after it signals low fuel).

Distance distribution is around 90% local (stop & go in town, idling, etc) and 10% highway.

I changed my plugs like at 89k miles, but wires haven't been changed since I bought it at 87k miles; vehicle at 106k miles now. Maybe time for some new plugs and wires.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
30mpg on highway in a v6? wow, what speed do you go? cruise control? :bow:

·
Registered
210 Posts
I check actual milage almost every time I fill up.

A 2000 GLX (V6 of course) w/tip, w/giac ecu and tip chip, 80% suburban chicagoland driving, 20% highway driving. I get 17 to 19 mpg.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
i get about an average ( acording to the comptuer) highway speed ( 55mph) for about 20 miles ( prety flat) of 28-30

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I tried a commute this morning where I didn't go above 75 (and in conjestion was around 40-50). The mileage shot up to like 23 for just a 17mi drive, so I guess I will have to cut back my MPH by about 5-10 for highway (yes i drive 80-90 usually) for the nicer mileage.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts