Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001.5 Passat 1.8T with 27,600 miles on it. I have 18" rims, an APR chip, Forge 007 DV and I just replaced all my vac lines.

I'm also getting very crappy gas mileage :mad: not even 200 miles to a full tank (95% city driving mind you) but I am dirving conservatively :suspicio: .

What can I do to help improve my gas mileage??? :???:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
uhh...driving conservatively does NOT mean driving at WOT all the time. lol. check ur plugs and see what they look like. search for one of my threads about plugs and theres a link to an informative site. but one thing to consider, if you are sitting i traffic all day, and your just sitting there idlling, that might do it, since if your not moving, youre getting 0mpg.

aksi check and if needed, replace your air filter.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Wow, that is bad. you ought to get 300 miles in city and 400 miles highway. What pressure are you running in the tires? I usually run 34 lbs.

·
Banned
1,750 Posts
the 18's could be throwing off all your tach gauges,

after i upgraded to 17's from 16's all my gauges are wrong now

i went on a road trip 2 weeks ago to pittsbrugh which i know is 375 miles door to door, cuz i do the trip all the time. this time it was like 348 miles :crazy:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
At 18", both your rims and your tires impose a substantial weight penalty. You're pushing a lot of additional rotating mass and unsprung weight. If you bought an particularly heavy style of rim, like Carlssons or AMG -style rims or whatever, your 1.8T could be trying to turn a 25 to 45 pound rim compared to ~17 pounds stock alloy. In addition, the low profile tires weigh more also, say, around 30 pounds compared to ~20 pounds. All of that extra weight is in the worst place, it's concentrated mostly toward the outer edge of the rim and in the belting of the tire, so you've got additional rotating mass exactly where you don't want it, pushed out to the outer edge of your rim/tire combo. This will especially kill your fuel efficiency in stop-and-go traffic.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Well since your live in Cali like I do, I am sure that having the super hot weather doesnt help, even conservative city driving hurts gas milage! All the stopping and starting, and whatever else! :puke: for the poor car!!!

Maybe try a bottle of fuel injector cleaner! Next time you get a tank of gas, throw some in! It can only help, and it wont hurt!

May you need a new fuel filter! Maybe a get an intake for the car so it can breath better!

http://www.evoms.com/vw main frames.htm

There is a intake for your car! Enjoy

Rich :wink:

If you need more info or help PM me! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Well, lets say my W8 with 13000 miles and no mods gets, on average, 375 miles to the tank. With stop-and-go, 48 lbs (stock) rims, and 87 octane. I'd definately say there's something wrong if your getting 175 miles less a tank with 4 less cylinders. Even though my tank is 20 gallons and yours is 15, Your getting really bad mileage.

I average 17.7 city MPG judged on my miles-per-tank to gas-tank-capacity ratio. (375 miles devided by 21.1 gallons). If you use the same formula, (200 divided by 16.4) that means your getting 12.2. MPG... man, there's something wrong there. :suspicio: :cry:

I'd get a free-er flowing exhaust system (may not be reasonable), a new intake system, new air and fuel filters, and I'd replace the spark plugs. Also turn off the car when you think you'll be idling a lot, use the air conditioner sparingly and turn off the DRL's (reduces electrical load, and AC uses a lot of engine power), and take out useless crap, like the spare tire and big subs and amps if you have any.

Hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
I<3myW8 said:
Well, lets say my W8 with 13000 miles and no mods gets, on average, 375 miles to the tank. With stop-and-go, 48 lbs (stock) rims, and 87 octane.
W8 and 87 octane? :suspicio: Not to go off topic here, but wouldn't using the manufacturer's recommended octane help? I know Cali has some crazy gas prices...

Unless I am off base and the W8 actually calls for 87 octane.

·
Registered
696 Posts
just a sidenote, before i got chipped i used to average about 18mpg (mostly city), and ever since i got my Upsolute chip my gas milage has gone up to about 24mpg per tank. Not bad i'd say, but yes clean the air filter too. i run a custom EVO intake and have a custom Magnaflow cat-back. so my car also breathes better. :weirdo:

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
rpaller said:
W8 and 87 octane? :suspicio: Not to go off topic here, but wouldn't using the manufacturer's recommended octane help? I know Cali has some crazy gas prices...

Unless I am off base and the W8 actually calls for 87 octane.

No, I'm saying, even with lesser than called for octane (it should be getting 91), my 8 cylinder, 4 liter beast gets 5 MPG better than a puny little 1.8 liter, 4 banger (no offense :p). If I used 91 or even 93, I'd probably be getting 18.5 or 19 MPG.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've checked the codes, nothing came up.

I haven't reset my gauges, I wasn't aware it would throw the MPG reading off.

I run my tires at 44 PSI.

My rim's are also pretty light for being after market.

I rarely run the AC and I don't carry around lose weight except for the spare tire.

I also don't sit in traffic often.

:sad:

So far, from what you guys have said, I will be:

Trying some fuel injector cleaner.

And also... check, and if need be, change out my spark plugs.

I'm just concerned :nervous: that something else could be seriously wrong, but my car drive perfectly fine, minus the crap gas mileage. :crazy:

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
check ur airfilter also. you might have some dead birds and a half bag of groceries or something crazy in there.

and does your car FEEL like its running ok? i think maybe your 18s might be setting it off, but what size tire are you running? i imagine you are pretty close to the OE diameter and you would have to change it by a lot to make that big of a diff.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
check ur airfilter also. you might have some dead birds and a half bag of groceries or something crazy in there.

and does your car FEEL like its running ok? i think maybe your 18s might be setting it off, but what size tire are you running? i imagine you are pretty close to the OE diameter and you would have to change it by a lot to make that big of a diff.
:???: It feels great. I'm running 235's on it right now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.