Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The triple digits are for show...even at normal speeds 25.6 was my best.
Air pressure is good, 93 Oct...etc.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I don't know why we go around and around on this topic. It seems to me that people should understand that you will generally bracket the EPA estimates depending on driving style, road condition, weather, car condition, tire pressure, etc. Expect in mixed driving to be within the city and hwy values. In straight flat highway at legal speeds, expect slightly greater than the EPA estimate, if you vary speeds and go up and down hills expect lower MPG. The EPA estimates are based on a course modelled after LA in like 1975... it's not the be all end all, but provides a baseline, which can be used for comparison.

It seems to me that a V6 4motion Automatic getting approximatly 25 mpg in the winter makes perfect sense. What were you expecting? A B5 is listed (googled as) V6 A/5 AWD: 17/24 mpg. If you are getting 25 mpg, you are doing just fine.

·
what the heck is an echo of gecko anyways...
1,960 Posts
No doubt. I'm getting that in my 1.8T, on the highway, 25 mpg in a V6 seems pretty darn decent if you ask me.

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Lots of things effect so don't feel so bad. I only averaged 20.5 yesterday on a trip from north Jersey to Harrisburg,Pa. Reasons:
1. Heavy 17" RS4 wheels & snows. Can't wait til spring to remount the lighter 18" BBS' and get back the 2 mpg they seem to sap even in perfect conditions.
2. Very cold & windy yesterday. Temps were only about 25 degrees all the way there and back with winds gusting to around 40mph.
3. Hilly terrain and speeds averaging between 65 & 85.
4. My K&N was dirty as hell. It's sitting on the counter drying as I type this.

Besides, if you're averaging 25mpg with a 17/24 EPA rating, don't complain.. ;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Try driving my 2002 4mo V6

I average about 15.8 mpg on a good day...
I have to accelerate unreasonably slowly to even get that...
There's gotta be something wrong with my car...

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
ive got a 1.8t and im getting to the most 15 mpg
just horrible i wish i could get 25mpg jeez
i really hope theres something wrong with mine so i can get it fixed....

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
MP33dave said:
Can't seem to get better then 24.9 miles to the gallon.
Yeah, man ... ~25mpg? I think it's all good, especially for a tiptronic V6.

Not to gloat but, I'm really pleased that after a quick spin in my 2000 1.8T of mixed city and highway driving (mostly highway), I came home with a readout of ~32mpg!

:sleep:

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I don't understand. I have a 2004.5 Passat 1.8t GLS and I have never gotten below 24.5 MPG. The best I have gotten was around 31mpg. Unless you drive your car very hard, how does one get in the teens? Granted, I am on stock tires but still.....

1 - 20 of 25 Posts