1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
I'd buy one in a frickin' heartbeat!

·
Registered
625 Posts
in real world terms the turbo diesel leaves the gti off the line.
these new diesels are fantastic and the polo with a pd130 is an amazingly awesome little motor.
over here diesels are about 65% of the cars on the road,so,they seem to concentrate more on diesel development.,and,my,what development it is....the tourque can pull your face off!!! :bowdown:
gorgeous little motor but dubs seem to be all morphing into just bigger/smaller versions of the same car..... :whistle:

·
I'm Urlik's Hero
9,784 Posts
^ Look at the Fabia VRs, quicker than almost all other hot hatches, I remember the Top Gear feature where JC drove a GTi/Mini (?) against the Fabia and lost.

Polo is a nice car tho, bloody nippy, but as Stu says, it's all one fuzzy blend of every other model around. Something new?

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If the Polo hit the US, it would be one of only a very small handful of esoteric cars, so I think it would be a much bigger hit here than across the Atlantic (where competition is stiff in this class).

·
Registered
752 Posts
I do not think that car would be an instant hit in the us, there is plenty of competition here in that market segment too. That performance figure leaves much to be desired, 8 seconds to 60? I think I just got walked by a minivan. It might be a good match for a crossflow gti.
Nice car though. If it actually sells for $15,000 lots of people would look at it, but that is in the same sub 20 price braket as other econoterrors. If they could tune it to over 40 miles to the gallon and regular gas, that would be hot.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
I think the 1.8T is dead in the US, esp. the 150 hp version.

1.4TSI in this car would be perfect, probably get 50 mpg highway and low-mid 7's 0-60.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
very nice, a little bit of the civic si in the side profile, which is not a bad thing.
Should less of a porker (in terms of weight) than the Golf GTI.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
I'd like to see it come it over if only to get more folks into VW dealerships. If they can make a go of this car, they can get kids looking for a new car into the VW family. Once in (if they can resolve the quality issues BTW) they'll move up the VW line-up over the years which means wider product range for VW in the future.

VW desperately needs an entry level car now that the Golf/Jetta is essentially a $18,000 car. Give people a $14-$18K option and I think it will draw people in. Let it compete Scion and Nissan's new entry for the entry level buyers and those looking for hot hatches and I think its a winner.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yeah, i completely agree that the Golf/Jetta has grown too large and heavy. IIRC, the current jetta is something like 2-300lbs heavier than the base B5 Passat, when it first came out. Other things like gas consumption and price are also accordingly higher too.

Lol, I think there's also a very good chance the polo was a lot smaller and lighter car a couple years agon as well. As I see it, the polo is perfectly sized for the US market as an entry level car. I can also honestly see it appealing to the tastes and affordability of younger car buyers moreso than the Jetta.

Granted, there's really not enough info to farily say whther or not it's a good car (i'm really interested to find out how fun it is to drive, and how well it handles), but the pricetag, pics, gti-treatment, and powerplant are enough to tempt my interest to actually consider another new VW.

The 0-60 times are a bit ho-hum i agree. It could be a conservative figure though. you really don't know how accurate it is until the mags actually test drive it. Even then, the 1.8t aftermarket is considerably stronger than it was many years ago. Making enough power on the 1.8t polo won't be much of a concern. I'm just worried that the problem is that it's not making enough traction. Hopefully a stronger helical lsd (oem or quaife aftermaket) will be an option.

Overall Im really exited over this. Glad the germans are bringing over some fun cars these days!

·
Registered
625 Posts

this is the lupo.its smaller than a mk 1 golf and current engine is from 900cc to a range topping 1.6 16v gti.

my misses wants one.........

1 - 19 of 19 Posts