Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figure I could use a little less skin on my knuckles and am going to replace these filters myself. Does anyone know a good supplier, outside of the dealership, where I can get these? If the club has coupons there? I have found places that sell the mann and bosch and k&n air filters but none that sell the pollen filter so far. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,046 Posts
Any Auto parts stores that carry Fram or Purolator filters can order it for you. Although the Fram part sucks IMHO. Get a Purolator pollen filter.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The one on Impex (vwparts) says it is HEPA. Is this the same or better than an OEM one? There are also carbon ones. Do HEPA or carbon flow any less air? I know my stock one is shot when my windows start to fog for no reason. This happens in less than 20,000 miles.

·
Banned
373 Posts
ganseg said:
The one on Impex (vwparts) says it is HEPA. Is this the same or better than an OEM one? There are also carbon ones. Do HEPA or carbon flow any less air? I know my stock one is shot when my windows start to fog for no reason. This happens in less than 20,000 miles.
If memory serves me the HEPA one is the carbon one.

That is what I put in my '00 when I made the last change. Impex's price has gone up a bit, used to be $30, now $42.50 but still a decent price compared to the local stealer.

Joe[/img]

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
You are right. Have you noticed any improvement over stock?

·
Banned
373 Posts
ganseg said:
You are right. Have you noticed any improvement over stock?
Well, I suppose it catches and removes some of the minor odors. Buy if I am in back of some beater blowing oil past the rings, or near a sewage treatment plant I still hit the recirculate at the first whiff!!! :lol:

Joe

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Didn't mention it was an '02 1.8t (there's a suggestion in the noob thread...model and year, doh!). According to impex, the cabin filter is $15.26...and that the filter pictured above was option for B5's -? Otherwise, I saw that one under part #8A0819439A for about $19.
For B5.5:

Napa's cabin filter #FIL4774 - $28.99
" gold air filter #FIL2295 - $21.90 these are both Wix

Vw oem cabin filter - $17.13
" " air filter - $20.53

And then the K&N reusable air filter at about 2x price.
Shipping is about $7 for impex for both, so they end up costing the same as purchasing from dealer. thanks again

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
So the K&N is for the cabin filter? How do you clean it? How's it working?

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
I don't think K&N has a cabin air filter for our application. Only an air filter. Unless K&N's website is lying to me... :suspicio:

Good news is that the filter is a simple drop in change. You can change it in a matter of 1 minute.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
The cabin filters are okay for outside odors but do nothing for internal odor sources ....(taco bell, mcdonalds, etc......phhhttt... :shock: )

·
Registered
77 Posts
Caution on Mann Air Filters

I purchased the same Mann air and cabin filters as PNWdriver indicated in his post for my 2000 1.8T Passat Wagon. Neither filter fit properly. The cabin filter got crunched because it is slightly too big. The engine air filter was also larger than OEM and required shaving down of the rubber gasket to fit. Stay away from Mann C26168 air filter and Mann CU3955 cabin/pollen filters.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re: Caution on Mann Air Filters

DrElectron said:
I purchased the same Mann air and cabin filters as PNWdriver indicated in his post for my 2000 1.8T Passat Wagon. Neither filter fit properly. The cabin filter got crunched because it is slightly too big. The engine air filter was also larger than OEM and required shaving down of the rubber gasket to fit. Stay away from Mann C26168 air filter and Mann CU3955 cabin/pollen filters.
I don't get it - both filters fit my 3/2000-build 1.8T Variant perfectly with no modifications, and were exactly the same dimensions as the filters that came out. :crazy:

·
Registered
675 Posts
tazmo said:
I figure I could use a little less skin on my knuckles and am going to replace these filters myself. Does anyone know a good supplier, outside of the dealership, where I can get these? If the club has coupons there? I have found places that sell the mann and bosch and k&n air filters but none that sell the pollen filter so far. Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks!
TAzmo, this would be a good time to spend a few bucks on mechanic's gloves. The cabin air filter is easy, but the engine air box has some very sharp plastic edges that will tear up the back of your hands. You will see what I mean when you do it. Make sure the engine and turbo are cold before you start.

Buy the cheapest air filters and the best oil filters you can get, that way you can get the gloves. Get some beer, too 8)

EDIT. Fram makes a cabin air filter and a engine air filter. I have used them and they fit perfectly. I am much more picky about oil filters. :wink:

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
The stock airbox is the devil!!!! Seriously, I hate that thing. Why on earth did Vw have to make it so hard to get in there? Makes me want the Boosted Tech intake that much more...or something...hell anything is better than that, IMO.

BTW, what the hell is that thing on top of the air box, it says 'Bosch' on it...has 2 plugs, looks like it does absolutely nothing...well yea, it's a bitch to it back where it goes when you accidentally pull it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts