Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so my bellypan (attached with zip-ties) got knocked out of position by a carwash last week, and I had to wait until yesterday to fix it (crappy snowy weather). In the last week, I've noticed a severe drop in mpg, which was fixed immediately by proper bellypan placement. I got 22mpg HWY on the way to a friend's garage, and 28.5 mpg HWY on the return trip (25 miles each way, even mix of uphill/downhill).

I'm wondering if everyone could post their average MPG along with their bellypan status (Correct, hanging, or missing). I'm wondering if we'll spot a trend here.....

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
My pan is all good and i can get over 30MPG out of my V6 on the freeway. I usually average high 27 to low 28 MPG in mixed driving, unless I''m really hammering it and then it'll drop to 23-25ish.

Paul :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting theory. My BP vanished sometime in December, and I have been since panless. My MPG has dropped, but I attributed it to extreme cold. :suspicio:

Tell you what: as soon as my driveway is ice free, I'll put my new one on and report back. :thumbup:

·
Retired PassatWorld Staff
6,165 Posts
flip... be sure to check/fasten your lower wheel well liners. Without the belly pan, they are very subject to being blow into the whell while on the freeway. This is particularly important for the V6'ers. In our case the passengerside is pretty safe, just because all of the a/c hardware blocks the wind. On the drivers side it's a straight shot, but the 1.8T's IC may protect the drivers side.

Just an FYI to check the well liners B4 you buy a new pan... you may need some additional panels.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
quality_sound said:
My pan is all good and i can get over 30MPG out of my V6 on the freeway. I usually average high 27 to low 28 MPG in mixed driving, unless I''m really hammering it and then it'll drop to 23-25ish.

My goodness I'm jealous! How fast do you drive, because my "best" average mpg in my V6 is 24, highway only! Around town on short trips I often get 10-12mpg, and in the end my mix is like 17-18 for a tanK!

Is there a problem with my car?

·
Registered
334 Posts
a man hole cover ripped mine off a month after my coilovers went on, :wink: and i through it in the garage. but i get horrible mpg, it went from about 360 a tank to 260 a tank but i doubt it had anything to do with a piece of plastic on the bottom of my car. i noticed the drop after the chip.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
pass-variant said:
flip... be sure to check/fasten your lower wheel well liners. Without the belly pan, they are very subject to being blow into the whell while on the freeway.
Oh, you mean my ghetto S4 wheel well liner vent mod? Already got it. :wink: :sad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
gig103 said:
quality_sound said:

My goodness I'm jealous! How fast do you drive, because my "best" average mpg in my V6 is 24, highway only! Around town on short trips I often get 10-12mpg, and in the end my mix is like 17-18 for a tanK!

with my 2k v6

if i do 55mph i get 30-32 average ( just set the cruse control and sit back)
if i do what i want to do like 75-80 i get less like 25-28

my city driving average is 25

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
gig103 said:
quality_sound said:

I usually do between 80 and 90 on the freeway and the speed limit in town. I don't creep off the line, but I'm not jack rabbitting all the time either.

·
Registered
11,541 Posts
I get a highway/city of about 22 MPH and that's if I try to keep it below 80mph on the freeways and not 'drag strip' off the red lights.

When I cruise at 75 mph, I get 22-24 mpg.

Paul, what do you get on average cruising at 80mph?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Belly pan MPG

My guess is that having the pan on will improve aerodynamics and possible add a couple tenths of a MPG (highway). I usually only get 29-30 MPG on the highway with my 1.8T Variant. I just lost a couple fasteners on the pan so I took it off until I can replace the fasteners. I'm going on a trip this weekend and will see what it does. I'm guessing the wind will make a WHOLE lot more difference than the pan. At city driving speeds I really can't see that will make any difference. By the way, I usually run 300 miles on a tank in the city and haven't noticed any difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts