Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning on polishing my 02 passat then a long delayed waxing..... Sick of the swirls/small scratches.. Bought the Nu Polish
First time doing this.

Any tips on a first timer doing this?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Planning on polishing my 02 passat then a long delayed waxing..... Sick of the swirls/small scratches.. Bought the Nu Polish
First time doing this.

Any tips on a first timer doing this?

Suggest you clean it thoroughly first. After washing with a good quality car wash formula, I would use a good cleaner like Meguiars Body Scrub or Gold Class Clean and Swirl Remover. This will clean above and below the surface. Then I would clay the entire car (Meguiars and Mother's make clay bars). Claying is "very" important, prior to polishing and waxing, as it removes all bonded surface contaminants that the prior cleaning missed, and makes your surface smooth as glass. Rub your hand across it after washing - you'll probably notice it feels "gritty" or "sandy". You want to get rid of that with claying; otherwise you'll just polish and wax it right in.

When polishing, I always apply 2 layers to the horizontal surfaces, since they get the brunt of the abuse from sun, acid rain, etc. Ditto when you wax. I like Meguiars Gold Class liquid wax, particularly if your car is dark color (mine is black magic).

The entire process, from washing, cleaning, claying, polishing, and waxing, will take you somewhere between 6 and 8 hours if done correctly, so plan on spending most all day. The results will be worth it. You'll also be pleased how easy your car "washes up" the next time it needs a bath.

Double check to be sure all products you use are clear coat safe (the ones I mentioned are). You don't want anything too harsh or abrasive.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've heard from others on the forum not to use NuFinish Polish because it is petroleum based. I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal System its a 3 step. Cleaner,Polish, and Wax.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
I've heard from others on the forum not to use NuFinish Polish because it is petroleum based. I use Meguiar's Deep Crystal System its a 3 step. Cleaner,Polish, and Wax.
Just about every wax you use has some solvents of some sort in them for acrriers .. if not the product will be rock hard ...

Wives Tale

My web site has some info bout waxes/sealants you might be interested in.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The only thing I recommend is if you have noticeable swirls, you probably won't like using a hand polish, since you'll be there a long time, and still won't get rid of them.

The links above are good, use them; if you want to invest in a real polisher, try the Porter Cable DA, easy to use for the first-timer, and very little chance of harming your paint.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Meguiars is good stuff IMO. I used the 3 step Deep Crystal Body Scrub, Polish, and Carnuba wax for years with fine results. Still have a little of each that I use from time to time, but now prefer the Gold Class instead of the Carnuba, only because it lasts longer. Now that I live in Florida, I'll probably have to polish/wax more often due to heat and salt air.

Dont know anything about NuFinish pro or con, but have used Meguiars for over 10 years with no problems, on foreigns and domestic paints.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Finished day one of detailing :)

Washed/dried
Clay Barred (took forever to find one since i dont have an AAP around here)
Meguirs scratch X

Tomorrow i have to hand polish and wax.

The Porter Cable DA seems a little pricey for my taste.... Should i even bother polishing if i am doing it by hand??

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Finished day one of detailing :)

Washed/dried
Clay Barred (took forever to find one since i dont have an AAP around here)
Meguirs scratch X

Tomorrow i have to hand polish and wax.

The Porter Cable DA seems a little pricey for my taste.... Should i even bother polishing if i am doing it by hand??
According to my research, polishing is the absolute best thing you can ever do for your paint. Those polishing oils nourish the paint. I always hand polish mine before waxing.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
:) thats what i wanted to hear...

Apply with damp terry towel, dry, then wipe with a clean one, thats basically it right?

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
:) thats what i wanted to hear...

Apply with damp terry towel, dry, then wipe with a clean one, thats basically it right?
Follow the instructions on your particular product. I generally apply polish to a damp sponge applicator, rub it in to the surface, let dry to a haze, then wipe off excess with the terry towel. Actually, it's the exact same process I use when waxing later. Be sure to let the polish (or wax) completely set up and dry. Some people apply it and wipe it off in a couple of minutes. I prefer to let it set for at least 15 or 20 minutes, depending on conditions (temp, humidity, etc.). You probably know this, but do all this work in the shade, or garage, while the car's surface is cool.

As I mentioned earlier, horizontal surfaces (hood, top, trunk) get two light coats of both polish and wax. The sides just get one coat of each.

When I'm done, I'll generally pull the car into the daylight, where any misses or polish/wax residue will be readily apparent and can be easily corrected.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Polishes burr the paint/clear to a sheen; some harsher polishes done with a machine can reduce the clear fractionally all the way to burning the paint. Hand polishes generally fill scratches and swirls, and while lasting longer when topped with wax, the scratches will still be there.

Porter Cable and rotary polishers physically remove swirls/scratches with the right polish.

As for "nourishing" the paint, I think it's really filling in the swirls.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Polishes burr the paint/clear to a sheen; some harsher polishes done with a machine can reduce the clear fractionally all the way to burning the paint. Hand polishes generally fill scratches and swirls, and while lasting longer when topped with wax, the scratches will still be there.

Porter Cable and rotary polishers physically remove swirls/scratches with the right polish.

As for "nourishing" the paint, I think it's really filling in the swirls.

That's partly true, but check the following snippet from meguiars website:

----------
Meguiar's Trade Secret Polishing Oils

The trade secret oils Meguiar's uses in both types of polishes are unique to the industry and to this day have never been surpassed for creating deep, dark reflections and brilliant high gloss by any of our competitors in over 100 years.

The oils Meguiar's uses are also important in maintaining the original condition of the paint by filling in the naturally occurring microscopic pores and surface imperfections thus preventing detrimental substances and elements as simple as water, or worse, acid-rain, from entering into these pores and microscopic surface imperfections thus causing oxidation and chemical etching. These oils act to replace the original resins as they wear away through natural processes.
------------

That last sentence is what I meant by nourishing the paint. It replenishes the oils, which I think is an important point for long paint life. Whole lot more info on that website if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well it took 7 hours but i

clayed
polished
waxed
cleaned interior...

And then it rained... then i cried but then i saw how well the water was beading and realized it couldn't stay perfectly clean forever

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
well it took 7 hours but i

clayed
polished
waxed
cleaned interior...

And then it rained... then i cried but then i saw how well the water was beading and realized it couldn't stay perfectly clean forever
7 hours sounds about right - believe my original answer was 6 to 8 hours if done correctly (can you tell I've done this a couple of times - grin)? But I do break for food, beer, etc.

The rain, although unfortunate, is pretty much guaranteed, at least when I do mine. After the rain stops, just whip out a little Quik Detailer if it's not too dirty (in 10 mins it will look great again).

·
Registered
537 Posts
the water always gets stuck in bubbles on my car and never comes off until it slowly dries up.

this happens always even after washing, polishing and waxing, or just washing.
So if i clayed the could it possibly clean off that crap that is stopping the water from beeding and then it would beed off?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts