Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some cerium oxide to polish the windshield this week, and it occurred to me that this stuff would probably work just as well on cloudy headlights. Has anyone tried cerium oxide on headlights? I would give it try myself, but my headlights remain stubbornly bright and clear.

·
Lefties have rights, too!
15,673 Posts
I just bought the 3M kit at my local auto parts store. The lenses look better than when the car was new. The cost was about $20 for the kit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just did mine over the weekend with the Meguiar's HD kit, under $24 at Wally World.

Start to finish in under 20 minutes. Headlights were badly hazed and look nearly new now.

·
Registered
26,206 Posts
I've used the 3M on my younger son's original headlights. With only wax, they fogged over within 6 months. For my older son's Passat, we used the same 3M, but put Lamin-X on them afterwards. They will not fog over for the next 10 years.

I had Lamin-X on my OEM Euro HID's. I bought them used (probably 3 years old) about 10 years ago and the Lamin-X was just starting to get cloudy in the last year. The lenses underneath are still in good shape, but the chrome reflectors have faded badly and I will replace the headlights.

·
Registered
6,144 Posts
I just ordered Weather Tech Lamp Gard. It's repackaged Xpel. The part number is the same. $54.95 vs $69.95 for Xpel or Lamin X.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have the 3M kit but now use rubbing compounds for car paint. Went to a car paint store and got some small drill buffing pads with the velco and different grit velco paper up to the Trizact 3000+ grit. I start with about 500 grit for bad lights by hand and work up from there. At 3k+ grit I use the compounds till it looks crystal clear. Then finish off with a UV protectant polish.

Take you headlights off first! I know B5.5 headlight removal sucks, but it beats having to clean the sanding residue or compound that gets flung all over.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still haven't tried the cerium oxide on my head lights. It does clean and polish the windshield nicely. I usually polish the headlights once or twice a year with Menzerna 400 and 3M 3 inch foam pad and a Porter Cable 7424 (the pink one works well #05759). I've never taken the units out. I just raise the hood and carefully tape the painted metal work. If ambitious, you can follow up with a finer compound. I use Menzerna 4000. Then apply a sealer, again Menzerna, buff with a wool pad, those purple pads from Lake Country have proven to work well. The Porter Cable is easy to use and an essential tool for making your car gleam with little effort.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I used the 3M kit on my 2005 Honda Civic and it worked great. The key to making it last is protecting the lenses after you clean them up. I used a product called Wipe On (like you've seen on TV). Consumer Reports tested it against other similar products and it came out on top. Even after a couple years, the headlights still looked like new. I get it at the local Fred Meyer (Kroger). Or you can google it or get it on Amazon.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I actually did the whole wet sanding down step by step on one of my car (400, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000), used isopropyl alcohol to clean it afterwards followed by two clear coats, worked great but it is a long step for sure and got to be done correctly. I tried the kits before (3M and others) and the haze eventually came back.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts