Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, all you sparkies out there....a few questions, statements to make sure I'm "thinkin right".....offer any thing you feel I'm ignorant regarding....(Passat only, please)

1) Plugs (Bosch 4303 Double Platinum) SHOULD last 45K miles, and MAY go 100K...? When the gap widens out over time, what does that do to the wires and coils? Pre-gapped when bought, untouched since.

2) Plug wires possibly the same, and a little info....I have a set that reads 5K resistance, (45K miles) and a set that reads 2.4K (New) resistance....I think the 5K is the right number, but what might I expect with the other.....(more misfires, some crossover, and a few times I watch a spark run 2-3 inches on the outside of the wire. Water misting....

3) Coils-Original, 144K miles- I know they are not easy to "check" but I checked the R between each lead plug-in......L-R I get 11.7K, 15K, 11.7K. When I have the 5K wires on, I get a few sparks to ground from the wires, but I also get some sparking from the coil itself to the frame around them, mostly first 2, L-R. With the 2,4 wires, no sparking at the coils, but #2 above.

After CCT service recently, 5-40 Syn, CTS replacement, car ran great for a week or 2, CEL went off by itself, week later, it's back on with 421, 431, 441.......think they are all related to Cat items, no "misfire" codes, but misfires and the occasional buck when slowing down, then speeding up when downshift happens, possibly causing these codes. Years ago, in the Falcon, first inclination is plug wires, missing during a load up, running smooth while cruising, 32 MPG interstate.

Throw something at me, see what sticks. Thanx

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
If your car doesn't have a consistent misfire, especially when accelerating, then I wouldn't spend too much time concerned with the ignition system. And while this is just my experience, the 1996 Audi A4 2.8 that I owned until it had over 270,000 miles, still had the original coils and plug wires.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
I agree with yl, not likely that your plug wires or coil pack is the issue. However I am a true believer in NGK BKR6EKUB spark plugs. So, if you want to change something...

Your 441 code is for your EVAP purge valve (sits on top of the airbox). Takes just a few minutes to replace, just make certain you install it in the correct direction.

·
Registered
27,352 Posts
The cat codes can usually be cleared by using an spacer on the rear O2 sensors.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The NGK are very good spark plugs for the 2.8 engines, I also have these.
Last year I also had some problems with O2 sensors. I know that these sensors have to be renewed with about 160.000 km. @AndreasPassat advised me to try new plug wires. I removed the codes with VCDS and and till today no codes. I f you make a lot of small trips they will also give problems.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK...plugs. Ordering. No small trips, 10 mile round trip for the shortest one I make. Just curious.....anyone think this is a "weakest link" popping up, after better gas, techron, timing back on the money after CCT stuff? Ran so good after all this, then misfires.......or maybe just 45-50K miles....it's time. Thanx. Check back after plugs, couple weeks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts