Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Red typically comes from MMT used to boost octane in unleaded fuels.
This is true. Went to AZ, Regular gas was 0.50c cheaper than premium. Bought octain booster for $1.99. Save $7. Think these plugs are good for this engine?

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
Better view would include the porcelain insulator too, also perhaps take the picture in sunlight. Regarding the Autolites, I used them for a while in our AEB, had no complaints, but later changed back to the fine-wire OE type.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
was using AC Delco platinums since last March and replaced with the NGK 6Q s ? ,can't remember exact number but spec'ed with my 1.8 AWM,everybody raves about them ,my AC 's were perfect in color but idle a little rough,well, being the OCD person I am, always record MPG,with each fill up for last 35k miles driving 125 miles roundtrip to work at 75- 85 MPH ,was getting about 26.5 MPG.... jumped to 28 MPG wow ,re did calcs. between 27 and 29, made me a believer.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
was using AC Delco platinums since last March and replaced with the NGK 6Q s ? ,can't remember exact number but spec'ed with my 1.8 AWM,everybody raves about them ,my AC 's were perfect in color but idle a little rough,well, being the OCD person I am, always record MPG,with each fill up for last 35k miles driving 125 miles roundtrip to work at 75- 85 MPH ,was getting about 26.5 MPG.... jumped to 28 MPG wow ,re did calcs. between 27 and 29, made me a believer, and using reg. gas....

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Better view would include the porcelain insulator too, also perhaps take the picture in sunlight. Regarding the Autolites, I used them for a while in our AEB, had no complaints, but later changed back to the fine-wire OE type.
I replaced my plugs with Denso IK20 Iridium plugs and it fixed everything. Famous last words...These I found out after the purchase don't last long. What do you suggest I replace these with?

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
The AEB is a pretty forgiving engine as far as plugs go. I've run whatever the factory installed (NGK?), then ran some 3-electrode Bosch F6DTCs (same plug as the late '80s VW PL 16Vs), and it's now running 2-electrode FR7LDC+ (stock heat range) plugs. My brother carries firearms in the car 24/7 (work-related) and doesn't need extra law enforcement attention, so drives the car like an old man...SMH.

The F6DTC is one heat range colder than stock...not recommended unless you are chipped and have a need to get excess heat out of the combustion chamber. (Copper conducts heat better than Platinum, btw) :cool:

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
The F6DTC is one heat range colder than stock...not recommended unless you are chipped and have a need to get excess heat out of the combustion chamber. (Copper conducts heat better than Platinum, btw) :cool:
The spark plugs play only a teenie part in controlling the combustion chamber temperature. The chamber's aluminum surface, and the valve seats, are what conducts heat to the coolant. Saying that a spark plug is "colder" or "hotter" than another refers to how well heat is conducted from the porcelain insulator to the metal shell of the plug.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Also with copper plugs the electrode is bigger so a fatter spark
That's not true. The spark only happens at the edge of the electrode anyway; it does not occur over the entire surface. And the size of the spark has to do with the amount of current, not the size of the electrode.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
General consensus from reading here is you have to change plugs every 10K or so. True?
What was the OEM plug for the AEB? Getting too much technical info that is useful just not relevant to this stock AEB. Looking for reliability as I have adopted this car and selling my trailer for my long trips out of state. I do about 800 miles in one shot 4-4.5 RPM constant. Sometimes twice a week. Great sprinter she is. Got to fix the cruise control.

·
Registered
5,371 Posts
OE plug is NGK PFR6Q I believe, but not cheap ($11.60 each at autohausaz.com where I get most maintenance things). But they outlast standard plugs by many times, to around 100K miles or more depending on use.

Cruise control: on early Passats that's a vacuum-actuated system, with a notoriously faulty control module, but other weak links exist.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OE plug is NGK PFR6Q I believe, but not cheap ($11.60 each at autohausaz.com where I get most maintenance things). But they outlast standard plugs by many times, to around 100K miles or more depending on use.

Cruise control: on early Passats that's a vacuum-actuated system, with a notoriously faulty control module, but other weak links exist.
Thanks for that. I'm thinking they don't put the "Hidden unadjustable gap" in the electrode halfway down the ceramic on those NGK PFR6Q?
I guess eBay on the Control Module?

·
Registered
817 Posts
This is true. Went to AZ, Regular gas was 0.50c cheaper than premium. Bought octain booster for $1.99. Save $7. Think these plugs are good for this engine?
The octane boosters usually mention "points" by which it boosts the octane, which each point is 0.1 octane. So if you had 8 pts octane booster that was added to 87 fuel, it would only be 87.8. :icon_eek:

So what did you use?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts