Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys haven't been here in a while... That should be a good thing right?? Lol. Just wondering... B6 Passat with the 2.0TSI headlights blow... Can't see 2 ft in front of the car... I want to replace with LEDs or HIDs I know they make pretty decent plug and play LEDs but idk I'm old school all of my previous cars/trucks I went HID. Im curious, what would you guys install and whichever choice could you post some links to produce pages? Thanks guys!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL

·
Registered
18 Posts
I went HID some years ago in my 2010 B6 wagon with its OEM halogen (non-xenon) lamps, when available options were far fewer than what's available today, and most LEDs marketed for headlights were awful. The 55W HIDs I put in back then in my Hella headlamps are still going strong, the bulbs work well with the Passat's projector lenses. I put the same HID setup in another B6 Passat that used the Valeo projector headlamps (which have an entirely different and far more robust design for securely mounting the H7-style bulb) and they worked terrifically well with the Valeo headlamps. If you are looking to buy HIDs for any older model vehicle, reject any option that doesn't use a relay connection - you want constant clean power direct from the battery, with a dedicated ground point just for the relay harness.

In contrast to HIDs, LED technology has improved by orders of magnitude over the past five years or so. One rule is paramount in this highly competitive world - you get what you pay for. Quality LEDs for headlight use don't come cheap, though the prices overall have come down quite a bit even from last year. Shop for LEDs that are optimized for use in projector headlights used for the Passat low beams. For the high beams, shop for LEDs that are optimized for reflector headlights - the light dispersion can be quite different between the two. For low beams you don't want an LED that creates excessive "hot spots" in the beam pattern - you want a relatively wide and uniform beam. The Passat uses a reflector bowl for its high beams, and hot spots are not much of a concern. The best of all possible worlds has the entire high beam pattern being one huge hot spot.

This link will be helpful in understanding your options for LEDs in projector lights and reflector-style lights:

BulbFacts | Best Recommended LED Headlight Kits

One additional thing - if you get a bulb-out error after installing any LED light, you will need to install a resistor inline to mimic the current draw that the vehicle expects to see. They're inexpensive - if the LED product offers a resistor pack as an extra cost option, get it and install it. You won't hurt anything by installing the resistors even if you don't need them. More of an issue with LEDs used in signal lights than with headlights.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with the LED option after checking out your link.. def made a huge difference and completely plug and play. I get the warning light at start up but it goes away as soon as I turn the lights on, even if I turn them off. I was reading through the Ross tech forum and read that the coding is hidden on the part of code that needs to be. changed. Do you have any experience with coding the warning signal away?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
I didn't do the coding trick with VCDS, I elected to install a resistor on each LED (high beam) and HID (low beam) instead. That solution has worked well for me, and didn't affect the bulb-out warning light for any other light in my Passat.

For what it's worth, this is another nice addition, classy and not cheesy, and an easy install to boot. Lots of YouTube videos on these sequential mirror lights:
Sequential mirror light on Amazon

Also, if you want to replace the H21W front turn signal bulbs with LEDs, the size you'd be looking for is BaY9s. They are super bright, no hyperflash, CANBUS ready and give no bulb-out error on my 2010 B6 Passat. Not all BaY9s bulbs will work as LED turn signals though - I bought mine at deautokey.com - they knew exactly which BaY9s bulb would work to meet the no-error no-hyperflash requirement. Their LED requires a bit of filing with a rat-tail file or Dremel to get the oversize base with its extra circuitry to fit through the opening in the turn signal housing. But it mounts snugly once it's through. Huge difference in quality of light output.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With LEDs are there any cooling issues in everyday use?
Most of the LEDs available have large heatsink/fan assemblies and the enclosed headlight compartments look pretty airtight...
Also, any clearance issues with putting the covers back on with those large heatsink/fan assemblies on LEDs?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Remember that the headlight assemblies in the B6 Passat are built for halogen bulbs, which are super hot to begin with. So long as your head sink isn't touching any part of the headlight housing, you should be fine. I'm not a fan (pardon the pun) of active cooling for LED lamps as the fan components just add more moving parts that will wear out over time. Passive cooling through heat sinks are the better way to go, IMO. With regards to the braided cable style of heat sinks, I'd be wary of letting them flop around inside the headlight housing and then possibly coming into contact with any of the rubber or plastic components inside the headlight housing. I like the solid and finned metal heatsinks better, if only from a design standpoint.

Bear in mind that you will need to penetrate the rubber dust caps at the back of the headlight assemblies so as to let the cable from the LED light find its way out to the driver box, which is mounted external to the headlight assembly. Your existing headlight connector then connects to the driver box.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With LEDs are there any cooling issues in everyday use?
Most of the LEDs available have large heatsink/fan assemblies and the enclosed headlight compartments look pretty airtight...
Also, any clearance issues with putting the covers back on with those large heatsink/fan assemblies on LEDs?
No cooling issues thus far. And the LEDs I bought were model specific so everything fit perfect... I did have to buy an adapter in order for that to happen but the dust covers went right back on and all. I do get the warning that the dipped beams are out. I probably should buy a resistor, but I just flip the switch on for 3 seconds and the warning light and message goes away. When I turn the car on I get three flashes of the headlights then the message... I flip the switch and the warning goes away and stays away whether I leave the lights on for the duration of my drive or not

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought lasfit LA's on eBay from the company for half the price of their website... No modifications to the dust covers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts