Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
rockin the nasty azz exhaust tips yo!!
1,526 Posts
your name wouldn't match the W8 wagon, thus you cant get one ;)

two words....

Repair costs

And like you said, you've worked on your car, fixed it up, know what works ect. and save a little $$$ to put towards more mods :)

·
Registered
2004 GLS 1.8T
12,159 Posts
The obvious choice is to keep what I have but the Tim Allen on my shoulder is telling otherwise...
I've heard that siren song once or twice myself. However, a friend of mine used to have a Fresco Green W8 wagon I loved driving. She was literally independently wealthy; we're talking millions. She got rid of the W8 and went back to Audis because of the maintenance costs. Not that she couldn't afford it, she just "felt stupid writing checks that big on a Volkswagen."

·
Registered
4,555 Posts
The W8 is a great car but the limited production run of this motor will make finding major engine components difficult to find and expensive! The W8's repair costs when compared to the widely available 2.8 and 1.8T are night and day, due to the fact that the engine must be lifted out of the bay for repairs; similar to Audi's 2.7TT and 4.2 engines.

If you have access to a good independent VW/Audi tuner then go for it. If not, then keep your V6 4Motion!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Interior was actually pretty clean, only dusty. Definitely needed new tires, I don't think the owner cared too much about it.(RED FLAG) One of the roof rails was missing its end cap which covered the bolts... a coveted set of Madras rims was scratched all the way around on each tire.(RED FLAG)

It did make a ticking sound from up front when i'd turn (RED FLAG), other than that it felt fine. It was definitely faster, but seemed more like a more powerful version of the 1.8, not of the V6, it was just different feeling.

Anyway, cool car. At least I got to nerd-out and drive one. I think i'll pass, but maybe I can go back there and ask if they'd be willing to trade roof rails if I can find a place to buy an end cap...
i've never had one (a W8) but after hearing over and over about repair costs i'll never have the balls (and mainly wallet) to own one

·
Registered
39 Posts
interesting, anyone know more about the mysterious ticking noise from the front? ive got the same thing on my 03 W8 sedan, and i do have some pretty rough scratches around the very outside of my stock 17inch BBS rims.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I would consider a BMW 540i 6 speed or auto over the W8 any day. For the price, cost of repair, fun.
I test drove the W8 6 speed in 02 or 03 when it go on sale, engine sound was so special compare to other. But later I got a used 2001 E39 540i auto for half the cost and it is way more performance and handling.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Out of curiosity, why did you remove your posts? Did someone say something offensive?

Or did you buy the thing and now you don't want any more talking-out-of?!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Didnt read all of the posts but I wanted to mention that in order to change a simple light bulb you have to take off the BUMPER and HEADLIGHT....yes, that's crazy...

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Yikes. W8 was never meant to be put in a car. It was a design exercise and nothing else. They really stepped in it with that one. I'd stay away...

AJ

1 - 19 of 19 Posts