Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help for e-mail filter.

Already have anti-virus, hardware, firewall, software firewall, etc. Please help me find an e-mail filter, one that will learn my likes/dislikes, and either send to the trash, or block unwanted e-mails. Feel free to offer your advice as to which type is better. Thanks

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
PittsburghPassat said:
Looking for help for e-mail filter.

Already have anti-virus, hardware, firewall, software firewall, etc. Please help me find an e-mail filter, one that will learn my likes/dislikes, and either send to the trash, or block unwanted e-mails. Feel free to offer your advice as to which type is better. Thanks
I was under the impression that most new or newer email apps came with at least a basic junk filter. Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, Evolution etc etc.

I've used all of the ones mentioned in my paragraph above.....however I don't have an issue with junk email (at least not at home, work is a different story) so I haven't played with their junk filters, but I know they all had them.

·
Banned
4,653 Posts
http://www.mailblocks.com It's as close to 100% accurate as I've ever seen. Spam filters need to be updated and trained often and still let through many of the more clever new 'spoofing' messages.

If your spam epedemic is at the runaway firehose level mine was at you will be doing yourself a big favor by looking at Mailblocks. It's been blocking more that 1000 spams per months for me.

·
Registered
893 Posts
I run my own mail server and use a combo of blacklisting which blocks mail outright from 'known' spam sources and spamassassin (http://www.spamassassin.org) for filtering everything else. SA supports bayesean filtering (learning). Not sure if SA works with standard mail clients though...

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
passaturbonium said:
There is only one spam filter and its yourself.

1. When you register dont click on any promotions or coupons or deals. Just say no to everything.

2. Dont ever give out your email address to anyone but people you trust.
3. Don't open mail you know is spam by reading the subject line, unless you're offline. A lot of spam these days contain sniffer images...if they are allowed to load (when you open the email while online), you are now tracked as a valid and active address that will be very profitable for spammers to sell.

4. Don't unsubscribe or reply in any way. Same issues arise as in #3.

5. To expand on #2, use a separate account soley for the purpose of filling out online forms that require email addresses when you expect to receive wanted emails. If you are filling out a form with a mandatory email field and you don't care to receive email from that entity, use a properly formed fake address (just not mine! ;) )

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
Darter said:
passaturbonium said:

1. When you register dont click on any promotions or coupons or deals. Just say no to everything.

3. Don't open mail you know is spam by reading the subject line, unless you're offline. A lot of spam these days contain sniffer images...if they are allowed to load (when you open the email while online), you are now tracked as a valid and active address that will be very profitable for spammers to sell.

5. To expand on #2, use a separate account soley for the purpose of filling out online forms that require email addresses when you expect to receive wanted emails. If you are filling out a form with a mandatory email field and you don't care to receive email from that entity, use a properly formed fake address (just not mine! ;) )
:thumbup:

There is few more little ones....but those 2 I thought were the basics.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Soem of those email filters unfortunatly block emails that you may other wise have wanted to get, seomtimes from family, etc. Its still being approved. Spamassasian is ok. Surfcontrol has one too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll check em out and see which one works the best for me. I don't get a lot of spam, only about 10-15 e-mails a day...I just don't want any more than that.

I will also take the advice you gave Passaturbonium...I though I was being somewhat careful, especially with my Zone Alarm blocking cookies, but I guess not careful enough :???:

·
Banned
5,213 Posts
Darter said:
passaturbonium said:

And think of a username that's hard to figure out. Spammers generate email addresses by adding some username to common domain names, like for instance albert and aol.com. Even if you're careful with your email address, if you have one that can easily be guessed, or figured out, or generated, you can still be a victim of spam. Think of something like V10TDI-TReg.

·
1st Gear
17,568 Posts
PittsburghPassat said:
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I'll check em out and see which one works the best for me. I don't get a lot of spam, only about 10-15 e-mails a day...I just don't want any more than that.

I will also take the advice you gave Passaturbonium...I though I was being somewhat careful, especially with my Zone Alarm blocking cookies, but I guess not careful enough :???:
10-15 a day :shock: dude thats alot....I dont even get that in a year 8)

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
1,852 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
14 Participants
Lmorzap
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing