Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, this has been grating on my nerves for the past year or so. I'll let the pictures do the talking ...

My mother's handy work. Beautiful stuff, I know ... Somebody tell me what's going on here. I just wanna have an idea of what to expect from the body shops that I'm going to visit tomorrow (should I even be visiting body shops?). Whatever, I just want it fixed. Tell me my next course of action; I've got no clue.

:sleep:

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
You sure she ran over something?

Long story short, once I backed into an overly high curb in a new development once which caused the carbon cannister shield to bend back into my right rear tire. That is exacly what looks like happened in your pics.

The dealership fix was to remove the shield, hammer it straight and reinstall it.

Hope this helps.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Myself because your not dealing with cosmetics why not dissasemble it yourself ,, hammer it out and fasten it back in there ..

·
Registered
842 Posts
all that is is the fender liner. go to a dealer, get a new one and swap it out yourself.
x2 i just put a new one in the front. there's only a few screws holding it in. jack it up, remove the wheel, and go to town. one of the easier things you can do. although, then you wont have the fun of the dealership charging you for it....

the metal, you can just yank (if necessary) and hammer back or just put some force on it, line the holes up, and screw it back together.

·
Registered
23,182 Posts
x2 i just put a new one in the front. there's only a few screws holding it in. jack it up, remove the wheel, and go to town. one of the easier things you can do. although, then you wont have the fun of the dealership charging you for it....

the metal, you can just yank (if necessary) and hammer back or just put some force on it, line the holes up, and screw it back together.
the metal is part of the liner now. it's to preotect the filler neck in the event of a blowout. a new one will mean no hammering.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You sure she ran over something?

Long story short, once I backed into an overly high curb in a new development once which caused the carbon cannister shield to bend back into my right rear tire. That is exacly what looks like happened in your pics.

The dealership fix was to remove the shield, hammer it straight and reinstall it.

Hope this helps.
I asked her again, and you're right. She backed into something like a curb.

... And so I will probably also go with a dealer fix as I don't have the tools for the job, and because the Fort Walton Beach VW dealership is one of the better dealerships (not just for a VW one) around.

jesstzn said:
Myself because your not dealing with cosmetics why not dissasemble it yourself ,, hammer it out and fasten it back in there ..
Well there is a little bit of cosmetics involved. I didn't take a specific picture, but if you look closely there is a little bit of pull (larger panel-gap) where the bumper meets the rear-right wheel well.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, but it wasn't just cosmetic my friends! No I have not gotten this ugliness repaired, but the stupid squeaking that I've been getting for the past three months was related to this cosmetic flaw.

Apparently where I can't see, something was touching/rubbing/hitting the strut tower, and that's what was causing the squeaks. But sound is gone, now ... Hallelujah!!! Finally, no more embarrassing left turns in the parking lots!!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts