Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to purchase a shock and spring combo from shox.com, just thought I would get some opinions from people who have tried that setup. I'm positive that I want to stay with Eibach springs because of only a moderate drop and discomfort as compared to stock. I'm not sure about the shocks. How would rate them as opposed to Bilsteins or Konis for example?
Thank you.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Eibach use Sachs shocks , another good european supplier. As far as I'm aware eibach and Sachs are in partnership so the spring and damper rate should match perfectly. If the shocks/dampers you buy are not adjustable then you probably won't optimise the handling or comfort because they wont be ideally matched. If you know the damping rates of the sachs shocks and can match them to bilstein or koni parts then you should be ok. There are subtle differences in oil and air damped shocks , so this is another element to consider if you are shopping around.

·
Registered
869 Posts
the Eibach Pro System (shocks and springs) is susceptible to a reverse raked look, where the front looks higher than the back. from what I have seen, using shocks other than Eibach with the Eibach springs does not result in this look. if I had to do it again, i'd pick some different shocks with the eibach springs. can't complain much about the performance, though.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I have had the Eibach Pro Kit/Pro Damper combo on two different Passats.

Both have been great. Dead even drop (front and back) very smooth and comfortable ride, and the handling was greatly improved.

Quality products. If I were to do it again, I would use the same setup.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Triumph said:
the Eibach Pro System (shocks and springs) is susceptible to a reverse raked look, where the front looks higher than the back. from what I have seen, using shocks other than Eibach with the Eibach springs does not result in this look. if I had to do it again, i'd pick some different shocks with the eibach springs. can't complain much about the performance, though.
I have a 2000 1.8t 5spd, from what I understood the uneven look happens with 2001.5 and later. :???:

·
Registered
869 Posts
kezho said:
Triumph said:
I have a 2000 1.8t 5spd, from what I understood the uneven look happens with 2001.5 and later. :???:
No. I have the same car as you, and my front is higher than the rear. No one has ever been able to figure out the formula for avoiding this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
How would people rate the ride quality of the Eibach pro-kit?
No noticeable change in ride quality?
Slightly harsher than stock?
Noticeably harsher than stock?
Harsh comapred to stock?

I want to lower my car ~40 mm, but ride comfort is the second most important facotr, or my wife will freak.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i just installed the pro system on my car. drop looks even to me, but i haven't measured since i put them on. will do that today and get back to ya.

but as of right now im 100% happy.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I have had this system on a 2002 & 2003 and the drop is dead even.

Wheel well gap has NOTHING to do with the actual drop of the vehicle. If you look at our cars, the fron and rear wheel wells are not the same distance from the ground out of the facotry. If all you are concerned about is the look of your wheel well gaps, then get H&R's because they lower the fron of the car more than the rear, giving you even wheel well gaps. If you want your vehicle drop even, then Eibach does a great job of it.

There seems to be a lot of issues with "raked" look of Eibachs, and it is just asthetic wheel weel gap. The ACTUAL lowering of the car is even just like they say it will be (the actual amount I am sure can vary from 1.2" to 1.3" or 1.225"...etc. I am sure.

Just keep all of this in mind when you are shopping for YOUR ideal setup.

Good luck

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What nonerock says is true...while the drop appears to be uneven due to the wheel well gap, the actual drop of the car is the same. I have a b5.5 tip and just had the prosystem installed a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I've had mine for almost six months now, and the quality of the ride is SUPERB! If you are worried about ride quality, then you have nothing to worry about. And I am quoting this while also ridding on 235/40 rubber!

BUT...I am actually thinking of gettting the Neuspeed Bilstein adjustable dampers to bring the front down another .5" or so. The car sits evenly, but with a full tank of gas and the spare tire, the rear wheel gap is about 1.25" and the front wheel gap is about 1.8". The "average joe" wouldn't notice the difference, but a perfection freak like me looks at it and thinks it makes me look like I have a couple of bodies in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
just a side question and i don't mena to hijack but can u adjust those bilsteins without taking the shock off??? how hard is it to adjust??? they are a smooth riding shock right???

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use my car, (02 GLS 1.8T 5Spd.), as a daily driver, over 50 miles a day. I needed a set-up that would let me retain comfort, yet support a more aggressive driving style through the twisties. After alot of research on different set-ups and prices, I went with Eibach because of their reputation, factory suppliers for VW, and only a drop of 1.2".

I Installed the Eiabch Pro-system recently and wow :) it makes a difference in the way the car handles. If there is one word to describe the "new" feel it is CONNECTED!

Anyone who has owned or does own a Passat will say the same thing about the factory suspension, good but too much roll and movement in the car. The eibach sping/dampers work great as a package. I took my fiance' for a drive and she didn't notice any difference.

The two detractions I can see so far is:

1). I drive much faster through the curves. Now I need a bigger tire/wheel combo for better grip.

2). It is harder to get a jack under the car.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The Eibach system is about 85% as comfortable as the stock setup, without the pitch and roll. However, my squeeks and rattles have noticeably increased since installing the system. For 45,000 miles I had an intermittent squeek in the right rear passenger area since day one that I could never find, because it wasn't happening all the time. Now, that thing squeeks EVERY SINGLE TIME I hit a bump. I have 55,000 miles now. The right door panel also always had some creaks, and they've gotten much worse since the installation.

Concerning the drop, frankly I don't care if it's "actually" an even drop. None of the other kits have this reverse raked look, and it just looks dumb. Couple that with the fact that it doesn't affect everyone equally, and it just annoys me to no end. I have a 2 finger gap in the rear and 3 finger gap up front. Aside from performance, myself (and I suspect most people) dropped their car primarily to reduce the wheel gap. Making the car lower to the ground is a secondary consideration. Worthwhile yes, but secondary.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Triumph said:
kezho said:
Triumph said:
No. I have the same car as you, and my front is higher than the rear. No one has ever been able to figure out the formula for avoiding this.
Actually it's not a formula, all you have to do is buy springs that lower the car in the front more than the rear. ie. H&R

Or get coilovers.

Eibach springs lower your car an equal distance front and rear, and since Passat's from the factory have a larger wheel well gap in the front...the math is simple.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had the 1be system on my car and was very happy with the ride, but wanted a little more drop. So I just installed the Eibach Pro system. The ride is either just as nice or a little nicer than the 1be, and the handling is noticably better. The suspension has not settled yet, but it looks like the drop is fairly even. The front wheel gap may be just a bit more than the back, but no more than a quarter inch or so. I am very satisified with the Eibach system. Great product.

Regards, Ray

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
The front fender well is higher up front for the tires to steer and turn left and right than the back wheel wheel where the tires always stay straight, its like this on 99% of all cars.

·
Registered
23,183 Posts
For anyone bitching about the uneven gap :cry: but not wanting to have a harsher ride by using the Bilstein struts, ECS has a coil over kit for the front of the B5 so you can maintain the ride of the complete Eibach Pro-System but the look of the stiffer setups (H&R and Neuspeed). I may get it just to have more adjustabiity.

The whining may now resume.

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?html=vehicle-home.html&make=Volkswagen&model=Passat B5&submodel=FWD&engine=V6 30v

Paul :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
19 Participants
Hyde
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing