Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have a strange issue. For starters I am using two different computers, one with Windows 2000 and the other with XP. I have used the XP machine on other networks with no problems at all.

The XP machine stopped connecting to the internet with AOL a few weeks back. It was still possible to connect with internet explorer. I was still able to use AOL through a dialup or any other ethernet connection. Then suddenly the XP machine would not connect at all using this cable modem. The Windows 2K machine was still able to connect using the same modem.

Two days ago the XP machine was able to connect again using internet explorer but not AOL. Then today there were no connections again. At the same time the Windows 2K machine stopped connecting with either IE or AOL. The weird thing is I could still access the web through RealPlayer.

When I look at the connection status on both machines it says they are sending information but no information is received. On the XP machine the little network connection toolbar icon shows a 100mbps connection speed even though it can't load any web pages or connect to AOL.

I've tried unplugging the cable modem and that doesn't seem to help.

Any help is appreciated! This is an unbelievably frustrating problem.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I would check out the cable modem. Thre are multiple lights on it. 1 to show a connection to your computer, 1 a connection to the internet, 1 to show passing traffic, maybe more. When this happens it the connection to the Internet light lit up? This sounds a lot more like an internet connectivity problem than a computer one.

The next time it happens I would call your cable modem provider. They will walk you through checking the computer, then the modem. What is leading me to believe it is the modem is the 2 computers with the same symptoms and sometimes being able to connect 1 way and sometimes not.

On your computer you could try 1 thing. Go to add/remove hardware and remove the ethernet card and then add it back following a reboot. You also should go to the manufacturers website to get the latest drivers.

Good luck

·
Banned
1,631 Posts
It sounds like AOL is causing the problem. I would not suggest uninstalling AOL because small remnence of the program never get deleted. It would be best to reformat the computer and reinstall your operating system and to NEVER use AOL ever! J/K :lol: No really, AOL sucks.

But seriously, sounds like your ethernet connections. Check your Cat5 cables. Did you make them yourself? If you did, get a network connection tester tool and test it. If you're satisfied that the cables are good, hook things up one at a time and test each hook up. For example, connect the modem to the router and make sure it's okay. Then one computer to the router and make sure it's okay. Then the other ... and so on...

Good luck. :thumbup:

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
As an experiment, I'd go into IE - tools - connections and make sure that there isn't anything under "dial up and virtual connection settings." A cable modem is "always on" and sometimes AOL puts settings in there that may interfere with IE, etc.

I'd also go into your network connections and see what is there. You may find that there's irrelevant "internet connections" that have been created that may be causing some problems.

I would NOT be suprised if AOL was controlling your internet connectivity somehow.

the last thing you could try is to go into, start - run, type in 'cmd' and then try 'ipconfig /all' and see if your computer is actually getting a connection.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Well, first of all AOL SUCK DONKY NUTS!!! hehehe. Now that you have a real internet connection get rid of your aol dial up and aol tcp/ip network protocols. AOL used to put their own version of tcp/ip in the network, in addition to your windows tcp/ip stack. Just conenct to aol via your cable modem connection.

1. Are you using a cable modem router, such as linksys or netgear,etc? If so, you should plug one computer into the cable modem and trouble shoot that first.

2. If you are using a single computer to connect to the cable modem, there might be an issue of your dhcp connection still trying to connect your XP (or 2000) network card mac address to the cable modem's head end. Sometimes, it has to release the old mac (Media Access Control - network card hardware address) before it can use a new one. It depends on the equipment at your cable company. First, reboot your cable modem and make sure your ethernet light lights up, indicating there is a physical connection between your cable modem and compter. My stupid cable modem was not connecting them for a while, buggy modem. Then, once you have your ethernet light, power, synch, send and recv (rx tx), then you are good to go. You should see some flickering of the send/recv lights when data is being transfered.

2. After the cable modem is up, plug in one of the computer and check to see if you have an internet connection.

Your options are:
- Open IE and see if you can go anywhere.

- Open START/RUN/ (type "cmd") and press OK. To open a dos windows
-- then type "ipconfig" to see if you have some sort of ip address besides all zeros.
-- try to ping something like yahoo, "ping www.yahoo.com" If it says destination unreachable, you have no connection. If it gives you 4 lines of information, its working.
-- if you can't ping anything, try to release and renew the ip address by typing "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig" and make sure all the numbers are zeros,etc. Then, type "ipconfig /rewew", then type "ipconfig" to see if you got a new address.. Try to ping again.

3. If all that biz doesnt work, check your tcp/ip settings. If you are using a dhcp assigned ip address from your cable company (which I am assuming you are), Open up your network (START/CONTROL PANEL/NETWORK), double click your tcp/ip and make sure its set to dhcp.

4. If all of this crap doesnt work, turn off your cable modem and pc for about 5 min, to reset the modem and hardware of your network card/pc. Turn the cable modem on, wait for it to finish starting, then a few min later, start the pc. Hopefully the cable modem will recognize the new connection trying to be esablisted and pic up the network card mac and start passing traffic.

Have you changed anything lately, like messing with cable modem cables? Added a new splitter,etc. I accidently added a satellite tv splitter in my house and it caused a signal leak...oops. I had the cable company looking at my lines out on the curb. They had no idea I ummmm, setup my tv's for free cable. ANyway, this splitter kept dropping my cable modem connection. I had to go to radio shack and get a "cable" splitter and its been fine for the most part now. Execpt when my cable company had problems in the area and my router kept losing its ip address...grrr. Its all good now.. knock on wood.

Hope this helps.. if you have done all of these steps and your cable modem connections still works on and off, have them check your lines, signal to noise ratio, etc. They have to have their network guys do that on their end.

Let me know if you need anymore help.. it's been a while, but I used to do cable modem support for a major isp and worked with the cable company's on this a lot.

Kevin

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Guyute said:
On your computer you could try 1 thing. Go to add/remove hardware and remove the ethernet card and then add it back following a reboot. You also should go to the manufacturers website to get the latest drivers.

Good luck

If you are going to try to reinstall your network card, make sure you have the correct drivers to reinstall it. If you didnt manually need to install it the first time, since XP has a lot common drivers anyway, then don't worry about it.

Your TCP/IP stack could be corrupted, which would cause it to have problems conection or cause no connection at all. Forget the AOL stuff until you have a solid internet connection via cable modem.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
vwjedi said:
Your TCP/IP stack could be corrupted, which would cause it to have problems conection or cause no connection at all. Forget the AOL stuff until you have a solid internet connection via cable modem.

Kevin
I would go into the network connections and write down everything that is there and then delete them, re-install them and try it. Like vwjedi said your TCP/IP could be corrupted.

Get rid of AOL for pete's sake, it still amazes me how many people still use that poor excuse for an internet connection.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow! Thank you everyone for all the help. I'll try all the suggestions once I get a chance to read through it all. I ended up calling the cable provider and they had me run a few tests. The problem showed up once I pinged their computer, the connection lost 16% of the packets. Apparently this is pretty bad so they are sending someone out to test the line and modem.

OK are there any suggestions other than AOL? Most of the computer savvy people who I know nearly have an out of body experience when they find out I'm on AOL :p . My main reasons for using AOL are that I've had the same email address for about nine years and I can access AOL in most area codes. I travel four days a week so it's really nice to just plug into the hotel phone and get in touch with the world. Can anyone suggest a better service than AOL for me? I can't stand all the stupid graphics and extra crap on AOL.

·
Registered
7,337 Posts
What I do is pay for the lowest possible plan on aol, since i've also had my aol e-mail for over 12 year.

Yahoo dialup isn't bad either. What I especially like about theirs is that once you've signed up for DSL, you get free dialup service, so I just my family's yahoo dialup when i'm travelling.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I keep msn premium; of course its free since I'm a beta tester. That said I like it better than AOL and it comesvwith an mlb.com all access pass

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Yep, sounds like a bad cable connection. You shouldn't get that kind of packet loss. You should get a 100% success rate.

If you have EarthLink DSL, you also get 20hrs of dial up per month too :) You can

cancel your aol acct, and have a forward put to your new EarthLink (or what ever address). Or, you can just pay for an AOL mail box and keep it and cancel the aol dialup.

EarthLink has hundreds of dial up numbers as well.. in fact, I am pretty sure they use the same access numbers as AOL. Both companies lease access numbers from backbone providers. I know this for a fact.

Go ahead and check out the number availability in the cities you visit most.
http://support.earthlink.net/

Kevin

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It turns out the cable coming into the building was corroded and needed replacement. Now that it is replaced the connection is apparently a lot better. Unfortunately I'm in Elko, Nevada right now using dialup AOL through a calling card!

·
wishin
3,664 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

As for suggestions other than AOL.....I'm not sure but I think most providers (even comcast cable etc) have some sort of dial up number (some I think are even 800) so that you can dial up from around the country etc.

I have comcast cable and although I've never looked into it, I could swear that I was told way back when that comcast had a dial up number for those broadband users that were on vacation / travelling etc.

Also if all you want is dial up for travelling, I've heard good things about NetZero, Earthlink and some of those others. AOL is a joke though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
8 Participants
SDPassatT
Volkswagen Passat Forum
Passatworld is a forum dedicated to Volkswagen Passat enthusiasts to discuss mods, Quattro, Turbo Diesel, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing