Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Mas Italy Rogers w/Faulken ziex 225 40 r18 tires. The tires seem to be strectched out. I feel that my ride comfort on highways is terrible. If I switched to a 235 40 r 18 would that help? Right now it is like I have very little sidewall. The sidewall actually is at an angle towards the car. Is this normal?

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
Yes, I agree with Andy as well. The comfort on those tires are going to be rough with the 225's. 225's are usually able to be mounted on 7-8" tires with no issues. But going 8.5 is going to give you the stretched look. As long as you can afford the 235 width. Just keep in mind to keep an eye on the front tires as there is a possibility of rubbing with that wide a tire/rim.

·
Banned
9,668 Posts
True, but in some cases, depending on how the tire is designed could rub with a 40et. Personal experience, I was running a 32mm et front with Sumitomo tires, and never rubbed the inside of the fender. When I went to my Yoko's, the inside rubbed like crazy. Just depends on the tire and since the offset is less, he has the tendency to rub the inside of the wheel well around the belly pan area... Thats what I was refering to. Just to make things clear though. 8)

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had Intrax springs on at one time and had to roll my fenders in the front so I'm pretty sure 235's will clear alright. The worst part of the 225's is on ther way to work on the 25 mile stretch of highway I have to do. They are great on everything but highways, and its getting really annoying.

Oh yeah, one more question. I had my car alligned and it runs completely straight and seemed fine. I noticed before I had it done that the inside of the tires were getting cokpletely worn. Well after the allignment and rotation the current tires are still wearing fast on the insides. They were not like this while they were in the back. I have h&R sports with Konis and 18" wheels. Can this be fixed?

·
Registered
12,116 Posts
AJChenMPH said:
Don't think so. IIRC, when you lower the car, you increase the amount of positive camber in the front wheels
You mean negative... but usually the extreme wear is on the rears, which don't change significantly with lowering. On my Passat with eibachs the fronts still had less negative camber than the rears (-1.3 vs -1.7 - stock was -.8 in front). The FWD Passats have a lot of negative camber on the rear because of the craptacularly cheap trailing arm suspension design.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So should I worry about this causing any harm. Basically, I am am wondering if this will just wear the tire down until there is nothing. I would say the first 1.5" on the inside of my tire is bald. I would like to get new tires also, but this wearing down of the tire took less than six months.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts