Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know engine idleing is the worst waste of gas..................BUT, I recently had a severe break in my leg playing hockey. It took many rods and pins to rebuild and I will be off weight bearing and using crutches for at least 6-8 months. Basically , if I dont need to walk, even with crutches, I shouldnt.
I am now in my car the majority of the day and have 2 daughters with busy schedules.
My question..........is it o.k. to idle for long periods of time? I'm talking up to an hour, mainly because it is mid-winter here in Syracuse and turning off the car is not rally an option.
If I do idle for long periods is it good to rev the engine every little bit, or does that matter?
Can the engine be harmed?

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Yes, it's definitely not good for the engine to idle for hours a day, but it's sort of like smoking. It's not good for you, but it could take a long time to kill you, and in the meantime you might die of something else. Mostly, the hot spots in the engine will tend to accumulate deposits. Police cars idle a lot, but they seem to last a while considering the abuse. Varying the speed by a few hundred rpm probably wouldn't help, and it might even hurt. Racing an unweighted engine (e.g. taking it beyond 3000 rpm for any period of time in neutral) is definitely bad, that's *much* worse than idling it.

·
Registered
28,024 Posts
Just be sure to use a good sythetic oil and keep the changes to every 5K.

·
4th Gear (Wax on Wax off)
4,974 Posts
Realistically its not going to cut 10,000 off the life of your car .. try and use good quality fuel and regularly changed synthetic. You will do less harm than a bunch of short trips that don't allow the engine to get up to sustained operationg temps in winter thus allowing moisture buildup in the engine.

If you were doing this because you were lazy I'd say its just a waste of fuel .. but you have a specific curcumstance. Just be very cautious of carbon monoxide .. I'd leave a window down just a bit and ventilate the car well.

Speedy recovery buddy ..

P/S .. didn't you know there was an NHL lockout .. were you filling the hockey craving?? :poke:

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
They probably need a higher idle speed to power the high-output alternator and all of the electrical equipment.

You know the Passat is sort of the Crown Vic of Germany, a pretty common police car/taxi.

·
Registered
2001 Passat wagon; 2016 Golf Sportwagen
5,491 Posts
PZ said:
Just be sure to use a good sythetic oil and keep the changes to every 5K.
Actually, the engine is running alot more hours than average for a 5K mile accumulation on the odometer. I recommend a 3K mile, or perhaps 3300 mile, OCI. The latter is a very convenient number -- keep your normal 10K, 20K, etc. services, but replace each in-between oil-change-only service (5K, 15K, 25K, etc.) with two equally-spaced oil changes. For example, replace the 25K oil change with one at 23.3K and one at 26.7K.

·
Registered
83 Posts
The crown vics have a higher idle, probably to keep the high-demand electrical system and all its components (lights, MDT, etc) working without totally killing the battery, they also have an oil cooler, something the consumer versions don't have ...

Anyhoo, I subjected my last car (2000 Xterra) to long idles in the Texan summer (someone liked to take naps at lunch, and having the a/c running was really nice), and other than a top radiator hose replacement, I'm happy to say there was no other noticable damage done, and I put 117k miles on it before trading it in for my Passat. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to do that to my precious VW, but I pretty much treated the Xterra like the dirty truck SUV that it was, and it ate it up and kept coming....

And check the maint sched for the CVPIs -- notice the OCI is 3k miles

https://www.fleet.ford.com/downloads/b3-g0xx-maintenance-chart-02.pdf

1 - 9 of 9 Posts