Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I need some advice. I was doing the rear brakes on my 02 Passat and on one side the piston will not budge back into the caliper. It seems to be able to move out without any problem, I just can't get the thing to move back in. I also tried loosening the bleed valve to release some pressure but that seemed to make no difference. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice.

Thanks,
Jim :sad:

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I had a similar problem about a month ago, on my left rear. My left rear pad was wearing down much quicker than the right rear (pass. side).
My mechanic was able to break it down a little bit, clean and lubricate it, and it's been fine. Checked it last week and it's operating normally again.

Maybe it just gets hot and more full of brake dust, also I think that side operates the handbrake, right?
Maybe putting on the handbrake when the brakes are hot puts an extra load on it?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
New tool?

Thanks to all that have replied so quickly. Am I reading correctly that the piston has to rotate back into the caliper? I tried using the caliper tool that I used on the fronts. I guess that will not work on the rears?

·
Registered
154 Posts
hirshaj, you are correct; the tool in the red box shown above is what you need. The piston must be rotated as you push it back in simultaneously because of the handbrake calibration. Autozone recently acquired the proper tool to do the job and should let you rent it cheap (or free).

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
The rear pistons on the B5 need to be turned as they are compressed. I c Clamp will work and I use a vise-grip to lock and rotate the piston. I have used the brake tool and it works great. We share it for the club and since I am too lazy to drive all over town and get it, I usually go with the above method.

If you do this, be careful to pull the piston boot out of the way to keep the vise-grip from scuffing it up.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
If you are really in a bind find and a large C clamp and a set of slip joint pliers.

use the clamp to apply pressure to the piston and use the pliers to twist the piston. This is slow going, but it does work

Also keep an eye on the piston boot if may want to twist with the piston every once in a while twist it back into the correct position.

I don't endorse this method as the way to do this but if you are in really bind and the caliper tool is not available you can reset the piston. If you choose to do this method proceed at your own risk. :thumbup:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, the piston is back in and the rear brakes are just fine. I ended up calling autozone and they loan out a really nice rear caliper tool. I went and gave a $35 deposit and they loaned me the tool. When I return it tonight they will give back my $35. What a great service that is. Thanks to all who replied, you guys rock!!!!

Jim :)

·
Registered
358 Posts
harborfreight doesn't have the tool for $19.95 any more do they????? I checked and put in the order number manually as suggested but I can only find it for $39.95. What a PITA... paying 2x as much when I know it was half price... anyone know otherwise?

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
TwoManyPassats said:
The boot kits are about $15 but the piston needs to be removed to put it on.
I am so freaking happy now, started the job this afternoon, and figured out that autozone loan me the wrong tool, then I freakign gota take the train to another autozone and rent the correct tool.after I got home I have to figure out how to use the tool. anyhoo, I started the real job [compressing the piston] at like 7:30, work on the pads in the rain for like 1.5 hr, finally got the job done, it sux that I ripped one of the boot, I am gona replace it next week. still OK to drive with that right?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.