Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so I want to get an intake for my 98 1.8T. I dont have a chip, or an exhaust so I thought I would begin my engine modding with an intake! I want a good one but nothing that will break the bank please! List prices/sites/experiences... I'm relying on the good people of ClubB5 to help me pick this mod! (I belive in you guys/gals! :thumbup: )
Thanks-Ryan

It's down to the following and I need to know (1) where to get it) (2) What brands (3) comments on them :

-DV
-Hoses (GETTING FROM HOSETEKNIQUES)
-Power Gasket
-Intake temp gage

** ANny others I should look at?
Thanks!! :)

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
None at all. The stock box is plenty good for the mass of air moved by the stock K03 turbo.

If you're just itching for an intake mod, how about a drop-in K&N filter?

Later-model B5's have a heatshield protecting the airbox from the turbo. That woul dbe a good intake mod too.

(It's not the air volume, it's the air density -- get air that is as cold as possible: i.e. not from under the hood)

Just my $0.02 :D

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
There is a really good intake, its called the stock airbox. You will be hard pressed to improve over the very efficient stock airbox that brings in plenty of COLD outside air. Also save your money and stick with the OEM paper filters. They were compared to K&N and foam, etc.. and the paper filters let in just as much air and removed more dirt. :crazy: Save your money for a chip, suspension, etc... things that will REALLY improve the cars performance.

I had a K&N on my old Ford Exploder and noticed no performance gain and only got a fouled MAF sensor out of the deal. The indie mechanic that worked on my Exploder also told me to ditch the K&N.

·
Registered
5,666 Posts
Time to let the cat out of the bag. This is the first REAL CAI for our cars. The only thing is I don't know if it fits but it should because it fits a A4. It bends down and sucks air from behind the bumper. I am going to buy one when I get my car back.
www.boostedtech.com

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Curry said:
I have a K&N filter, what else could I do under the hood besides a chip?
replace the timing belt/pully/tensioner/water pump
aftermarket DV
silicone vac lines
boost gage
turbo timer
intake temp gage
oil pressure gage
intercooler mister
front-mount intercooler
powergasket
insulated intake lines and turbo housing
port-matched intake manifold
S4 wheel well vent
high-performance halogen bulbs (piaa, philips vision plus)
vag-com: sport mode & old shift strategy

:D

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
I think my hyper-modified evoms is great. The relocated external air temp sensor tells me I'm sucking air that is only a few degrees about the outside air temp. And it sounds cool as hell. :lol:

At my GTG last week, we changed a stock filter. PITA. What a crappy design for easy access. The new intake is worth the convenience alone. :p

Scott

·
Registered
665 Posts
I need to fabricate a heat sheild like that for my HKS Intake. The Turbo temps really dont help out alot. The cool sound is not worth it unless you put in the time and effort like D ZIGNER did. Good work D ZIGNER :thumbup: , if possible can you put out a template for that sheild that I can print and trace onto a Peice of Almunium ??? Pretty please.
:D :D

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going off Pete1:
Q's, and where's-->
- Wont just running a DV run too rich from what I've heard?
- where can/should I get the silicone hoses? (what one's?)
- Front mount intercooler (whats it do?/and where again)
- Power gasket (what/ where?)

*Is there stuff I shouldn't get one w/o the other?
** Sorry for all the trouble, but I feel as lost as I did the first time I had "relations" (nice way) with a woman! :lol:

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Curry said:
Going off Pete1:
Q's, and where's-->
- Wont just running a DV run too rich from what I've heard?
- where can/should I get the silicone hoses? (what one's?)
- Front mount intercooler (whats it do?/and where again)
- Power gasket (what/ where?)

*Is there stuff I shouldn't get one w/o the other?
** Sorry for all the trouble, but I feel as lost as I did the first time I had "relations" (nice way) with a woman! :lol:
1. Aftermarket DV will just help smooth out boost spikes and other unwanted behavior on the intake system. Then again, the stock DV is probably fine with a stock chip. DV has nothing to do with fuel trim.

2. www.hosetechniques.com You need 10-12 feet of 3.5mm ID silicone hose

3. FMIC - this is not really a good first mod... an intercooler is a small "radiator" that helps cool the intake air (cooler air is denser = more oxygen = more power)

4. Power Gasket - custom gasket that thermally insulates the intake manifold from the engine block. (See cooler air, above).

Really, you may want to start with tires/suspension - a lot of the under-hood mods are in response to either daily driving in very hot climates (TX, NV, AZ, SoCal, etc.) or to the extra heat generated by driving a chipped engine.

((Edited for spelling.))

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Where/whats good power gasket?

@ Hosetechniques how many hose clamps will I need?

Wheres a good DV (car w/ a chip)

*I already have 18's/suspension... I will have a chip whenI start in on this project.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Curry said:
Where/whats good power gasket?

@ Hosetechniques how many hose clamps will I need?

Wheres a good DV (car w/ a chip)

*I already have 18's/suspension... I will have a chip whenI start in on this project.
Search for "new south power gasket". Only one on the market.

Four or six clamps - but you can get them at autozone. I just use zip ties for these skinny vac lines. Others would argue with that.

Basic upgrade is the DV from the Audi TT 225HP. For four times that price you can get a high-end DV from Forge or Bailey. Search for "Forge" and "Bailey", you'll get lots of info. You do not want a blow-off valve.

Before you spend any $$, what's your goal for the car? What do you want to accomplish? :)

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
D ZIGNER said:
I think my hyper-modified evoms is great. The relocated external air temp sensor tells me I'm sucking air that is only a few degrees about the outside air temp. And it sounds cool as hell. :lol:

At my GTG last week, we changed a stock filter. PITA. What a crappy design for easy access. The new intake is worth the convenience alone. :p

Scott
Sorry it was such a pain. I have noticed a slight difference. It was def. worth it. Thank you again Scott.

Thad.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
If you have the money I guess you could go with the forge. Unfortunately, I am on a budget. I would go with the TT DV. It is a hell of a lot cheaper and does the job. The more money you save on a DV the more you can spend on other things.
Just my $.02

Thad. :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.