Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having so many problems recently, and all in the same month, making the car a huge money pit. I have some questions. And I don't want to get ripped of by the dealer, and so far they have NO competent answers for me.

1. my control arm went, the bushing was ready to fall off, I assume this is normal to occur at over 80 thousand miles? I got a new one and put it on so I could get it aligned.

2. I take it to get aligned for the second time. my tie rod is "frozen" Guy tells me it cant be heated up or it will melt, and they still can't align. Should i try to bust it loose or just replace them? (ps. never taking car to this place again, because they didnt tell me about the tierod the first time i was there)
Why is it so difficult for any old tire place to align my car? I can hear the tie rod about to fall off because they didnt tighten it back up.

3. I am throwing brake fault codes like crazy. It started slow, but now my car says "STOP" "BRAKE FAULT" "SERVICE MANUAL" and warning lights and beeping constantly. Of course the dealer suggests getting it in right away becuase my brakes will fall off!!!

I scanned the car, there is no power going to the ABS ECU, or unit. Could this just be a wiring problem? The wheel speed sensor? Battery going dead?I know for sure it's not my brakes or pads, as I just replaced them 3 months ago. Anyone else have this problem?

I really have no clue and would appreciate ANY kind of help!!

·
Registered
872 Posts
1. Yes, upper control arms are prone to failure on our cars due to the multi-link setup. When I first got my car and my Porsche mechanic friend helped me lower it, he saw the suspension and said, "What the hell is this all about?!"

2. Yes, tie rod ends can freeze due to their design. I've had my driver's side TRE freeze twice. Luckily when I replaced my upper control arms (way overdue at 115,000 miles), they came off rather easily. There are people here that have used torches to get them off. Many people upgrade to Meyle heavy duty or Febi Bilstein units.

3. Sounds like your ABS control module is broken. I have the same problem currently. Most replace it or send the unit someplace to be refurbished. I cracked mine open and soldered the 2 wires that by design are prone to break. Unfortunately the solder didn't hold and I have to do it again, but the repair isn't too hard if you have a steady hand and a magnifying glass.

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
It's easy in that, it is easy to remove and ship off to a rebuilder who will fix it for a couple of hundred bucks. Do a search for module and rebuild, and some names should come up.

SirWired

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
PrfctPrep10 said:
I have been having so many problems recently, and all in the same month, making the car a huge money pit. I have some questions. And I don't want to get ripped of by the dealer, and so far they have NO competent answers for me.

1. my control arm went, the bushing was ready to fall off, I assume this is normal to occur at over 80 thousand miles? I got a new one and put it on so I could get it aligned.

2. I take it to get aligned for the second time. my tie rod is "frozen" Guy tells me it cant be heated up or it will melt, and they still can't align. Should i try to bust it loose or just replace them? (ps. never taking car to this place again, because they didnt tell me about the tierod the first time i was there)
Why is it so difficult for any old tire place to align my car? I can hear the tie rod about to fall off because they didnt tighten it back up.

3. I am throwing brake fault codes like crazy. It started slow, but now my car says "STOP" "BRAKE FAULT" "SERVICE MANUAL" and warning lights and beeping constantly. Of course the dealer suggests getting it in right away becuase my brakes will fall off!!!

I scanned the car, there is no power going to the ABS ECU, or unit. Could this just be a wiring problem? The wheel speed sensor? Battery going dead?I know for sure it's not my brakes or pads, as I just replaced them 3 months ago. Anyone else have this problem?

I really have no clue and would appreciate ANY kind of help!!
I try to help you out on some answers:

1) It does happen for the control arm to go early, it depends on the driving, daily road condition you go thru etc... . Mine was not gone but on it's way out at 115K.

2) The tie rod freezing, i have seen it happen to another passat/passatworld member here in the Northwest. We ended up having to cut it offat the shop and drill/tap it to get it out with an impact gun!. I could not believe how bad up it was. The replacement part for it is not to expensive, just look around websites like ECS tuning etc... .

3) that could be your ABS module/unit going bad, i have seen it happen to a few here, but i can't say for sure.

Good luck and i hope that helped a little :thumbup:.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts