Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing my rear brakes and got to the point where I need to turn the caliper piston clockwise in order to retract it. I turned and turned it for over an hour and it hasn't moved AT ALL! In fact, now I think it's fully extended as I just went to AutoZone to get the caliper retracter tool and when I went to use it there wasn't even enough room between the outer part of the caliper and the piston to use the tool! It's raining now and the car is on a jack on the "no parking" side of the street for tonight so please give me any advice or experiences you've had with this situation so I can get this fixed and move the car asap!

Thanks!!!

Eric

·
Registered
525 Posts
You need to take the tool apart and just use the end of it that fits against the piston. Attach that to an extension and your socket wrench. Hold the caliper in one hand and push and turn the wrench with the other. Basically, you have to do what you would do with the "cube" tool.

It probably won't seem like it's doing anything the first few times. You have to keep trying and trying until the threads catch. It took me about 10 minutes when I did one like that, but it wasn't raining. Once It gets started and retracted a little, you can put the tool back together and use it to push the piston all the way back in. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So you're saying it will catch though? I just don't want to spend an hour in the rain trying to get the piston to retract and then find out that the caliper needs to be rebuilt. I'm skeptical because I used the cube tool to no avail for over an hour, then when I read about the tool at AutoZone I thought I was saved. Now I'm afraid that the same thing that happened with the cube tool will happen with this. Anyway I'll contrinue to try pushing and turning in the meantime.

·
6th Grade
14,918 Posts
If you have a C clamp that is big enough, you can clamp the piston with that and then turn it with a pair of pliers. That will get it started.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I used a vise grip to turn the caliper rotor and a clamp to compress while I turned. NOTE: the caliper rotor will only compress while it is turning.

These are a pain. The VW tools rocks though... Makes this process 10 times easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts