Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going down a main drag, and out of nowhere, a pothole, which clearly wasn't visible, was in the road, and next thing you know, I hear a THUD THUDI knew I popped a tire immediately because the car definetely handled terribly...

So I pulled the car over, and what do I see, the front driver's side flat with a nice bendage, and a nice bendage on the rear tire, but still holding air........

A passerbyer saw what happened, and gave me his number, and walking back to the pothole, I noticed that the pothole was repaired already before, and sunk back in.... so does this mean I have a chance to possibly get some money back from the city? or am I shit out of luck... the city doesn't even have money for snow removal... it's late, i just changed a flat in the middle of winter, and I'm stressed because I don't know what to do, and I don't know what to do with 2 bad rims now....

please help....

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
Im right here in Kansas, not too far from you, the city also gets its money from county/state taxes. I wouldnt advise running fancy wheels during the winter, I had a set destroyed during the winter and now I never run big wheels except spring/summer/fall.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have had a similar situation and the city did indeed pay for the cost of towing and tires for a pothole that was filled with water, in Pittsburgh (this one took out passenger side front and rear tires) When we hit it and pulled over there was another car just ahead of us that had done the same thing.
Our trusty tow-truck driver informed us that if there was documentation of anyone complaining about the pothole previous to flatting out the city was negligent and would have to pay. I was like, right, they'll admit to that. But they did, and we got a check for about $230 a few weeks later. We never dealt with the police, just city hall.
Good luck with your dilemma.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I had the samew problem a while back in San Antonio and when I first contacted the City they said they wouldn't pay so I said fine I'llsee you in court and then they decided to settle and paid for the rim only and I had to pay for the installation.

Good luck,

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I had a similar experience with my Passat, and Tazmo is pretty close to what happens. If there is a problem there, or you are a pain, they will pay for something.
The reason they don't pay is they know so many people want something for nothing, and they automatically assume you are trying to swindle them out of a few hundred bucks.

In my case, I only got the rim replaced, and had to pay for re-mounting the tire, but the $15 was better then buying a $170 Mille Miglia.

Call the local county or city road department, they know this happens all the time, but they still want to fight you or blame your driving for the damage. Here, the burden of proof is on you.

As such, get photos if you can, showing that it was not visible, as it looked like a wet road. Try to get common items in the pictures, a skid mark, fire hydrant, curb markings, sign in the background, some other poor sap's A-arm/fender/oil pan, etc.

I called the County (unincorprated area) and they said that the only way I hit something was if I was out side of the lane marker. Basically, saying I was in the rocks. :crazy:

A few days later, I come to the same area again and there is a cop car there and he's changing a tire! I recognized him (No, not THAT, he was a neighbor) and offered to help. Afterwards, we got to talking and it turns out that whenever a towing contractor gets a roadside assistance call to rescue someone, they also notify the local police department. There were dozens of claims for that stretch of road and he also told me that he even knew of two county vehicles that had been damaged there.

I had the el cheapo digital camera with me and snuck a few photos of the situation and sent those with my claim.

Anyhow, they reimbursed me for the rim, fixed the hole and resurfaced the entire stretch of road the next summer. If you make sure they know they have a problem (don't just tell them they are in the wrong, someone will take personal offense to that) they are more likely to work with you, as you did your home work and it is not just some scheme cooked up over a bong.

Good luck,
HTH,
Mark

·
Registered
402 Posts
The city must have knowledge of the problem and must have sufficient time to repair. Now what that means is open to some interpretation, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Are you guys serious? the city paying for bent rims? That just doesnt seem right.

I'm sorry folks, the city cant afford to keep this hospital open anymore... We have to pay for all the bent rims you know :roll: :roll: :crazy: :mad:

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
Related story-

My father used to own a heavy-highway construction company and built a number of the bridges I'm sure a few of you drive on every day over and on Route 95 here on the east coast.

He was working on a set of three bridges that crossed over 95 and at night they were doing some sandblasting of the existing bridge beams (it was a refurb job) The sandblaster had not correctly sealed the enclosure from underneath and a couple beads were able to escape... right into the windshields of cars below. After a number of complaints from drivers to the Federal Highway Administration, they did an investigation and figured out exactly what had happened. Needless to say everyone who knew anyone who drove on 95 that day came forward with a cracked windshield...... In a total of 26 hours of sandblasting billed to the job over 115 windshields were supposedly damaged......

It was left to the FHA to pay the bill, even tho they tried to bill it back against my father's company who in turn would have billed it back to the sandblaster, but the FHA finally just said screwit, with each individual investigation to figure out whether or not a given windshield was truely damaged by the sandblaster woudl be more then just laying out $250 per car..... My pop never saw a bill.

The govt. works in strange ways, just jump up and down and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I appreciate all of your support on this, and the frustration is, is the fact that I can't just go buy one more rim to solve this problem... One of them looks salvagable, but the other is completely gone with the outside and inside lips bent... The reason i can't just buy another is I found out my style is now discontinued, so sourcing a 5x112 17" in my style is going to require some hard looking...

I'm not looking to make money off of this in any way, and am not trying to take advantage of the gov't... but I would like to get some compensation for having my rim bent due to poor budgeting on the county's behalf, and dont' want to get stuck with having to repurchase 4 new rims....

But thanks again for all of your advice, I'm going to contact the proper authorities on tuesday (monday = president's day) and hopefully get the wheels in motion (no pun intended) to hopefully get reimbursed for at least one rim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts