Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My AM radio stopped working a few months ago, and I really miss it. I have searched the forums for an answer to what happened, but I haven't come up with anything that fully resolved my problems.

Here is the situation:

-1999 Passat with single DIN head unit.

-Virtually no AM reception (a strong local signal may be barely perceptable).

-Along with the static on AM, I hear electrical noise from my car (clicks and pops when the brake lights turn on, engine rev, etc.).

-FM works fine.

-If I stick the wire leads from my home stereo's AM antenna into the antenna jack on the back of my head unit, I get pretty good AM reception.

My dealer wants to charge me $85 an hour to look at it (estimated repair time = 1 hour. And I would much rather put that money toward a Blitzsafe adapter for my iPod. I would appreciate any help that you could give me.

Thanks in advance
-Jeremy

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all still stock.

Did you replace just the screw-in arial part of the antenna or did you replace the mount as well when you lost AM?

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just the screw-in part. I went with a shorter atenna. I think the spiral wire in the stock antenna is for the AM signal. Is there any chace that the wire may be broken inside??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is always the chance that it could be broken. I hope that is the case. That would be an easy (and cheap) fix. It's tempting to walk out to the parking lot and unscrew someone else's antenna to test in my base.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went to the dealer and tried a new (working) antenna. It didn't work in my car. I guess the next step is to get out a multimeter and see if the cable connecting the antenna to the radio is still alive.

Does anyone else out there have any other idea of what could be wrong?

·
Registered
175 Posts
I had a similar problem.

In my case. I have a short somewhere in the antenna cable. I took a multi-meter and measured the impedance between the center conductor and the shield. It was like 10 Ohms. That is bad news.

If I remember correctly, the impedance should be something like 1000 Ohms.

I dropped in a an enfig antenna base with a new cable and replaced everything (base and cable). I didn't figure out it was the cable until I had my base out and ohmed it out.

Oh and BTW, the crack team at Sunnyvale VW never figured this out in the two times I brought it in under warranty complaining about bad reception.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Reading other posts, the amplifier which is built into the base of the antenna is probably dead. I have the same problem and was looking for a "how-to" preferably with pictures to replace the base. I can't seem to find just the base anywhere for sale - the antenna and base sell for about $75.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input.

I called my dealer shortly before I started this thread and asked about replacing the amplifier - they said that the antenna amplifier is actually located in the head unit. It seems more likely that it would be located in the base of the antenna, though.

The more we talk about it, the more I think that I may just have to wait for a warm day and disassemble my antenna and base. I have a feeling that a few minutes with a multi-meter would be really worth while.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts