Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I know that there are numerous threads about oils, the advantages and disadvantages of different oil brands, service intervals, synthetic vs. non-synthetic (although that seems like a settled question), and on and on and on...

However, I have a fairly simple question. I run a very high quality synthetic (I'll withhold the name to prevent tangents, unless people really believe it's relevant) that meets VW 502 (although it is not on the official VW list; the manufacture's website makes this claim).

The issue is viscosity. It is a 0W-30 oil. My 2003 GLX 4Motion Wagon seems to run very well on it. This same manufacturer makes a 5W-40 that also meets VW 502 (and others), but when I tried that in my car, it didn't seem to run as smoothly as with the 0W-30, so I went back on my last oil change. BTW, because of the low mileage put on the car (~9500 per year), I only change it annually. As the service interval for the oil is listed as 35,000 miles or yearly, I feel like I'm ok on this point. Anyway, my questions are:

1. If it meets VW 502, does running this thinner oil harm the engine? If so, why?

2. Since it's thinner, will the engine consume this oil more readily than a 5W-40? What is the typical rate of oil consumption for the V6 motors between oil changes?

Some other potentially relevant information:
* I live in Maryland, USA, so we do have some pretty cold months.
* The car is used mostly for city driving, with an occsional vacation or weekend highway trip.

I did a search on the forums here, but didn't find anything addressing the specific question on viscosity. Please, don't refer me to bob is the oil guy. I went to that site and really didn't find the answer to this question in the posts there, (although there was plenty of cool stuff there). Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks in advance for your patience.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can't really help you out with your questions. But I got to admit that I am a little skeptical of an oil that claims it can go 35,000 miles. My understanding of chemistry is limited but I have heard that the by products of combustion are acidic and that is one of the main reasons for the length of oil change intervals. Now I am sure there are additives to buffer the ever incresing increasing acidity of your fancy synthetic but 7 times better than regular oil that is hard to believe. I would also think that when try to sell your car the once a year oil change policy might be a little disconcerting. especially considering you do mostly city driving (harder on oil). Why not just change your oil twice a year with a high quality dino oil or a regular synthetic. If I am not mistaken you have the V6 which is a easier on oil than the 1.8t so it doesn't really need to run synthetic. So I know this is not what you were looking for but I am sure others will chime in and completely contradict what I am saying.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Amsoil Series 2000 huh? ;)

1. I personally think you will be just fine running this. (IMHO) It's a V6, it's not nearly as sensitive to oil type as the 1.8t

2. You say you already run it, you tell us if their's oil consumption? Typically thicker oil=less consumption but not always. It's really case by case.

My concern lies more with your driving style and change interval. You state mostly city driving on this oil at 9500 miles between changes. I would recommend you pull a sample and have a used oil analysis ran on it before assuming that the oil is okay this long.. what type of oil filter do you use?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Something doesn't seem right with the oil change interval. I drive a 2000 V6 4-motion. I do a lot more driving, mainly highway. I use regular 10W30 engine oil year round and I change the oil every 3000 miles MAX (5000 miles dealer recommended). You can go longer with synthetic but not 35k long. From what I understand, oil does have a shelf life and should be changed at lease every 4-6 months even if you don't hit the mileage for your next oil change (obviously change it before if you do hit that mileage point). Oil changes are the cheapest kind of preventative maintenance for your car. You can save yourself a lot of headaches in the future if you're on top of them. Use the dealer filter (Mann filters). They're more expensive, but they are also better. I've seen the difference between Mann and the other brand(s).

·
needs more cowbell
5,946 Posts
i ran a year with AMS in my 1.8T and i was uncomfortable leaving it in that long. i ended up switching back to Mobil 1 and sticking closer to a 5K interval.
as said above, the only way to know if there's an issue is to have an analysis done and see for yourself.

i forgot!!

BEVIX

welcome to the club.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all who replied!!

Yes, I am one of those people, an Amsoil user! :crazy::lol:
And I use their filters, too. My Dad sells the stuff, and he's generously gives it to me for free! :thumbup:

I agree with the sense of this thread in that I would never leave oil in for 35K, no matter what the claims made by the manufacture. They might be true, but I just wouldn't be comfortable doing that, true or not! Annual oil changes still make me a little nervous, but since even Mobil suggests a 15K service interval in its recent TV ads for Mobil 1, longer intervals seem to be the trend for synthetic oil in general.

However, I think I will take the advice offered here and pull a sample for analysis to ensure that this replacement interval is ok for my ride.

It seems pretty straightforward to do this, but how would I pull a sample before my next oil change? Could I pull it from the filter when I change that, or would that bias the results somehow since that's where troublesome materials are removed from the oil?

I will post my analysis results when I have them!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
633 Posts
Iain
good link. I learned a lot.
Bevix I think the answers to all your questions are right there.
Iain do you have any links taht explain cam timing in relation to power output?
Thanks
Graham

1 - 8 of 8 Posts