Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

Player not playing copied CDs

12K views 29 replies 10 participants last post by  VAGguy 
#1 ·
Hi Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get my passat Cd player to play copied CD's?

Thanks

Malcolm

#2 ·
what format? Just a direct copy or an MP3? I did not know they couldn't play a standard copied CD in CD format.....

#3 ·
Hi
I have tried straight copies. I have also copied my albums onto the computer, then burnt them to cd using different formats. wav is supposed to be the industry standard? The player tried to read them and then it jumps to the middle of a track later in the cd.

#4 ·
It should...but sometimes particular CD-R types have trouble, especially in older players. Doubly so if the CD is enhanced with data and other non-audio stuff.

#6 ·
How old is your passat and/or head unit?

#15 ·
how about the in dash player, does that work? Is it just the changer that is screwy?

#17 ·
you said you had a 6 disc changer. There is also one in the dash, right? Do both the indash radio and the changer not play these cds?

#19 ·
since you have no information in your profile, I can only assume that you are not in north america, as the basic radio of that year was a combo CD/Cassette with optional trunk changer. Only the early 2002's came without CD. Sorry, I would be of no help.

#21 ·
Malcy, it sounds to me like the laser lens on the CD player is dirty. it can be cleaned, but you'll have to take it apart to get to the lens. once you do get there, a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol (no, not beer! :poke: ) will work.

#22 ·
Agreed - something is out of alignment. If it were a format issue, you wouldn't be able to play the CDs at all. You're getting some music, right - it's just skipping around? That sounds like a physical problem with the player - either the lens is dirty or the head is out of alignment from bouncing around in your car for the past 6 years...it happens.

#23 ·
I'm not buying the dirty/out of alignment argument. You need to do the following:

1) Confirm that the CD was properly burned as an Audio CD (disk-at-once / finalize) Best way to confirm is to play the CD in another audio CD player - not a computer - the older the better.

If it plays OK in your other CD player, then try it in the car. If it doesn't play right in the car, yet commercial CDs play fine in the car, you have two possibilities

a) Your car CD doesn't like CD-Rs. Common problem with older CD players, although by 2002 or 2003 I thought they had this sorted out.
b) Your car CD doesn't like your particular brand of CD-R disc. Try another.

#24 ·
I resurrected my previous factory CD player by cleaning the lens - it was picky just like the OP's. by the same token, the OP thinks he can possibly play .wav files, and I am not sure that is possible, especially since he thought he was saving them as original copy files (which I am pretty sure are .aiff, rather than .wav).

#26 ·
Hi. I'm not sure if this helps, but I'm sure it's worth a shot.

Try to copy/burn your CD Audio at the good-old-and-ancient 4x speed. Yep. It's painstakingly slow to today's standard. But it was said as the industry standard speed for recording/mastering CD Audio...

And if possible (or supported by the software), activate the 'Error checking when copying CD Audio' (or something like that) option.

Check your CD burner as well. I mean, can the burned CD Audio be played on a home CD Player?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.