Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Can anyone tell me if there is a way to get my passat Cd player to play copied CD's?

Thanks

Malcolm

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,197 Posts
what format? Just a direct copy or an MP3? I did not know they couldn't play a standard copied CD in CD format.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi
I have tried straight copies. I have also copied my albums onto the computer, then burnt them to cd using different formats. wav is supposed to be the industry standard? The player tried to read them and then it jumps to the middle of a track later in the cd.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
It should...but sometimes particular CD-R types have trouble, especially in older players. Doubly so if the CD is enhanced with data and other non-audio stuff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The CD's are Verbatim CD-R 700MB I burnt them as slow as possible to see if that would make a difference, but no.

·
Registered
9,106 Posts
How old is your passat and/or head unit?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
verify that you are burning the CDs in the correct format; IIRC, the file types have to be AIFF.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found the industry standard is from the "red Book" CDDA or PCM which is wav. I don't know if you are able to confirm it?

·
RETIRED Super Stealth Moderator
27,881 Posts
wav files are not industry standard on CDs that one purchses brand new in a store or internet outlet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jay, I just saved the tracks as AIFF and burnt the new cd hoping that it would work. Sadly it didn't, I also tried it on our music system, that seemed to have trouble finding the tracks also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried the audio CDs and it's still the same.
It's really strange, when I put the cd in the player, it cannot find the 1st track, then it jumped to the end of track 8, I moved it back to track 5 and it jumped to the start of track 10!!!!!!

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,197 Posts
how about the in dash player, does that work? Is it just the changer that is screwy?

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,197 Posts
you said you had a 6 disc changer. There is also one in the dash, right? Do both the indash radio and the changer not play these cds?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is not a seperate cd player in the radio, only a cassette deck. The CD player is combined with the changer.

·
Moderator/Administrator
25,197 Posts
since you have no information in your profile, I can only assume that you are not in north america, as the basic radio of that year was a combo CD/Cassette with optional trunk changer. Only the early 2002's came without CD. Sorry, I would be of no help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts