Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom just bought a 04 A4 :)
man, that is one nice car, im so jealous.
Anyway, when they were giving her the keys to the car, they also gave her a plastic wallet key, didnt think much about it at the time, i was too busy drooling over the A4.

Where can i get a plastic key? Do they pass these out with new Passats also, or is this an audi only thing?

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
UK spec :b5: 's come with the "wallet key" or valet key as vw call it. This key has no transponder or remote fuction.
All it can be used for is unlocking & locking the door lock ( providing the alarm has not been set )
My :b5: was second hand & previous owner did'nt pass on the plastic key.......I'm not bothered as it's not much use anyway !

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
US spec cars have a valet key as well, which would fit in a wallet or coin purse. It is just a smaller, all plastic sidewinder cut key, without the transmitter, folding option, etc.

I think he is referring to the wallet keys like GM uses, which looks like a credit card with key cut into it.

That design needs teeth on the outside edges of the key's shank, which does not work with our sidewinder style keys.

There are these:

But they are the same design, whereas you need the outer edges cut and not like the internal cut of the sidewinder. These fit pre sidewinder VAG cars only.

Maybe they have one now, which is cool. I'd like to get one cut for my car.

·
Registered
301 Posts
when my fam bought our first passat back in 98' they gave us a plastic key and told us it was incase we lost one or both of our original keys. It was necessary to have that because they would send that to germany to cut a new key rather than taking your only one. The dealer told us that the new passat keys could only be cut in germany. i dunno if that was dealer bs or what.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
my dad got one of these for his '01 Benz, it was pretty cool, except that the alarm went off until you put it in the ignitino becuase the chip didn't transmit anything without a current and it has no battery, so i needed to be in the ignition. It was a good idea for "just-in-case"

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
crash893 said:
sounds like a heap of bs to me
any self respecting locksmith could cut you out one
I know on my B5.5 the keys are CNC machined, no key smith I know has that type of machinery in their shop. The dealer told me they were laser cut but that isn't the case since the key has swirl marks from the machinest's bit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
SeattleReign said:
crash893 said:
I know on my B5.5 the keys are CNC machined, no key smith I know has that type of machinery in their shop. The dealer told me they were laser cut but that isn't the case since the key has swirl marks from the machinest's bit.
It is BS because i had a passat key cut in about 15 minutes at the stealership :mad: 125$$ later :puke:

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
ONEPHATPASSAT said:
SeattleReign said:
crash893 said:
It is BS because i had a passat key cut in about 15 minutes at the stealership :mad: 125$$ later :puke:
I believe the Germany-only key cutting business has to do with when you lose all of your keys, and all you have is the VIN.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I was told by the stealership that it had to be cut down in cali and shipped up so who knows. but also found a locksmith in my city that could but it for 10 less than the dealer but had to keep my car for 2 hours

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The key machine @ Home Depot has a mold for Audi/VW, that's why I don't understand the need to go to a stealership!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Having just come from an A4, the key that LiquidSmoke was asking about is probably the lightweight plastic key for occasional use that A4s come with. It's the function of the metal piece made up in lightweight (and not especially strong) black plastic, with a small head, just about strong enough to be kept from twisting off when it's used. Major benefit is the small size and light weight --- and for saltwater kayakers, it doesn't rust. Nice feature --- one that's missed.

Joq

1 - 14 of 14 Posts