Volkswagen Passat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I checked over my car after a recent service at my local dealership that involved transmission removal. To my surprise everything underneath looks pretty good, though they didn't waste any time cleaning anything when they put it back together. Anyway, when out of habit I checked the engine oil, I noticed that the plastic dip stick guide (it mounts on the top of the tube that the oil dip stick slids into) was broken. I figure it broke because the dip stick got whacked by the engine brace that was used to support the engine while the trannie was out - but try to prove that to the dealership.

I did a Club B5 search and found many threads that talk about how it is made of a material that gets brittle and weak as it ages, give instructions to replace it, and explain how it is about a $2 part. So I plan to just replace it myself. But when I called the parts department at my local dealership they told me the part is $5.50. Now the $3.50 difference isn't much to me but I was surprised the price was 250% of what others said they had paid, so to check it out I called Jason at Drew Parts. I had the part number from the old guide (FYI it is 053103663) and he said he would add it to the special order page on the web site. The Drew Parts price is $1.36 ($1.70 less our 20% discount). I went ahead and ordered online; I had been planning to order the jack pad kit anyway so I won't get hit with a shipping charge just for the guide.

So many thanks Jason at Drew Parts :thumbup: :thumbup: for taking the time to add a $1.70 part to the web site. They will get more of my business in the future. And hopefully this post will give a little recognition for the effort.

And yes, I know I am a cheap bastard to even bother doing this to save $4.00.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
This has been a chronic issue with B5's! POS plastic thing! When mine broke pieces of that orange plastic fell into the dipstick tube into the engine pan! Anyone know of an aftermarket replacement that is not plastic?!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
AlexDrivesAPassat said:
Hey, if you aren't gonna watch out for yourself, who is? :)

-alex
Exactly! My idea is that if I think of the $4.00 savings as a discount on the jack pad kit, it only cost me about $15.00 plus shipping. Now I need a few other things to break so I can get a discount on that timing belt kit that I need. -- Be careful what you wish for.... :lol:

·
Registered
569 Posts
Well I took my Jetta into VW Specialties for a oil change and they replaced my plastic dip stick guide for free and I didn't even ask them to...in fact they didn't even tell me they replaced it. I checked the oil a few days later and saw the shiny new piece of plastic.
So :p :p :p

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We should all be so lucky; my dealership won't give me a tissue to blow my nose for free! VW should pick up the cost to replace all of them with a better design.... IMO

·
Registered
835 Posts
Has anybody tried to replace it with another one? Would like to get a polished looking one. Instead of that ugly plastic crap. :p

·
Registered
39 Posts
A penny saved, is a penny earned. Or in your case, 400 pennies saved, is 400 pennies earned. Nice work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts