Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at blacking out the chrome on the bullet 1.5 and I stumbled across Plasti Dip. Has anyone used this product? It looks too good to be true honestly, but I like the idea of being able to peel it off if it looks like crap. If this is a load of crap, can anyone recommend a better simple way to hit the chrome? Just to be clear, I'm talking about hitting the chrome around the windows and the side panels, probably a bit in the front as well. As always, thanks for the insight guys!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Plasti-Dip does seem as good as it sounds, lol. My brother used it on his focus around his rocker panels to add a little sporty look. It can be found at most hardware stores (I know Home Depot carries it) and it is around $6 a can. One can can do a lot of damage. Some tips if you decide to go this route: Make sure the surface is clean. Spray the first coat lightly. If using painter's tape(highly recommended as it is a spray can) peel it off AS SOON as you are done spraying. Plasti-Dip is really easy to peel off and peels off in one piece. So, the reason you peel and change the tape as soon as you are done spraying is, after it hardens, once you peel the tape, the rest will come up too.
Good luck! Let me know if you have any questions! Post pics of how it turns out if you decide to go this route.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I dipped my wheels last year. They only see summer use as I have a set of steelies for winter. The stock wheels I dipped had some curbage and other scuffs that I was hoping would end up being masked. The results turned out way better than expected and they held up quite nicely over last summer's use. They still look great with no peeling or chips. All I did to prep them was give them a good cleaning. The finish is flat, not glossy.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome! My car's in the shop right now but I have a four day weekend coming up so I think I feel a project coming on. :evil:

I guess I'll start with the chrome, I was thinking about hitting the stock wheels as well but I think I'll hold off and see how the chrome comes. I will definitely do up some before and after pictures on the project!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Haha chances are once you realize how easy and effective Plastidip is, you'll love it and will probably want to Plastidip everything. Good luck and looking forward to the progress pics!

·
I'm just itching to be Banned
13,871 Posts
Plastidip is fine as long as you apply it properly (clean the surface well, and apply 5-6 coats of product. I'm not a fan of using for large areas of the car (i.e. painting the roof) but I've done window trim, rub strips, etc and it looked very OEM+

·
Registered
300 Posts
Why not buy a couple gallons of black truck duraliner or rhino? Least the next time you throw a golf club at the car it wouldn't dent the door. ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I paint w/ plasti dip professionally and I have to say its one of my favorite diy products on a budget! easy to use! just watch all the tutorials on youtube.com/dipyourcar . check out my post on my b5 PIC HEAVY and you can see my dip job!

·
Registered
300 Posts
I paint w/ plasti dip professionally and I have to say its one of my favorite diy products on a budget! easy to use! just watch all the tutorials on youtube.com/dipyourcar . check out my post on my b5 PIC HEAVY and you can see my dip job!
How would you say DYC would hold up in in-climate weather over the years? If I were to DYC on a Passat, it'd be at least 4-6 coats.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I have a friend who dipped his whole mustang and it held up. 2 years going and he still has it on his car

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
108 Posts
anyone know how well plasti-dip holds up in frigid weather?
This is my Outback with Plastidip'd wheels. At that point, those wheels had three years of use through MN winters. The one and only spot I have any flaking is where I bumped a curb and got a little bit of rash. Otherwise, it's been solid.

·
Registered
216 Posts
plasti dip is very addicting, it works excellent. i used it on my cadillac for the winter to cover up the wheels and it works wonders. really impressive stuff.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I was a fan of it until I had to take it off. I did the chrome window trim and wheels on my '09 Wagen I had, and I never got all of it off, even using degreaser, acid, and many hours of scrubbing. Not sure what happened, but I definitely won't be using it again...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts