Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on chipping my b5 soon. just a couple questions.

1st, has anyone dealt w/ Shine Racing in mass? they have GIAC chips for $400 for 1.8t(total price is $470 including installation) Is this a good deal? I'm guessing it sounds like a good price. BTW i live in CT so i would have to drive up there and it takes an hour to install. They also said they'd install a bypass valve free of charge but the valve they have will cost me $160.

Does this sound like a good deal? how about the choice of chip(GIAC)?
anything i will need(besides bypass valve and k&n filter)

thanks for the help!

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I'm not familiar with Shine but since you live in CT you make want to also consider a chip from Upsolute. scotty_passat is the local rep and they are having an event in CT coming up in a couple of weeks. I think they are offering a discount or free dyno run or something - here's a link to one of scott's posts

http://www.b5one.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1900

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should check that out. What r the features of an upsolute chip. hp looks to increase about 42hp, what about rev limiter and some of the other features that the GIAC includes?

·
Registered
457 Posts
What year is your car? I have giac and no k&n filter. I think that if you have am exhaust there is a specific upsolute 1.2 program that just came out check b5one.com maybe :b5: :beer:

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
I was strongly urge you to contact scott for more answers - he's chipping me on Saturday and is going to work VAG-COM magic on my tiptronic at the same time.

The HP increase is slightly better for DBW cars apparently and there is some suggestion that the torque numbers are underestimated - it would appear that the website has taken 15% off of this number along with the HP rating for the differences at the crank vs. wheel.

I don't know all of the details regarding the GIAC chip so I can't offer you a comparison. As I said, a PM to scott might get you better info.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
GIAC and SRS are good.

However, here is some info on Upsolute:

Typical power numbers for our chips:

1998-1999: ~190-195 hp/220+ ft/lbs at the crank

2000: ~195-200 hp / 245 ft/lbs at the crank

2001+: ~205 hp / 245+ ft/lbs at the crank

We tune for 91 octane, our numbers are within a few HP of all of the other chips out there. The newer DBW cars make a bit more boost and have bigger injectors so they can make slightly more hp/tq, the 2001+ have VCT which seems to also help power/tq.

I've seen a few Upsoluted Passats dyno in the past with 220+ ft/lbs at the wheels, this is ~ 260 ft/lbs at the crank :)

At the event we are selling the chip INSTALLED for only $325, 3 dyno runs (1 before, 2 after) are an extra $50 if getting a chip. If you can't make the event then come see me in Shrewsbury and its only $350 + tax installed while you wait (and watch), this includes code scan, test drive, re-adaptation, etc. :thumbup:

The chip has a 30 day money back guarantee.

You do not need a K&N, and your stock DV should be ok, unless your car is old, it might be worn out. I can get you Stratmosphere Hyperboost DV's for $150 installed, or you can get an Audi TT DV for about $40 from the dealer and I'll put it in for $20.

drop me a PM or email [email protected] for more info.

-Scott

·
Banned
1,496 Posts
Thanks for chiming in here Scott - I tried to put in the good word but clearly the info is better coming from you.

Now the question is how do I control my enthusiasm until Saturday?! :weirdo:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts