Volkswagen Passat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I be concerned....you damn right. I have been living in my new house for about 4months. This past weekend i found out that the wooded area(some else's private property) behind my house is a walking ground for my neighbor's pitbulls. They seem to be breeding pitbulls. I must have counted 6. She lives on the street on the next block behind my house. I confronted her while walking the dogs on Sunday. She says they are harmless, but in the meanwhile they are digging under my fence and seemed like they were about to jump my fence to get at me. She has a opening in her backyard and I have seen those dogs roam unattended before but thought they were strays. Now I found the owner. I am concerned because I have a 2 year old. The only reason we bought the house was the fact that it had a huge yard for my son to play in and the neighborhood seemed quite.

I personally hate "other people's dogs". I don't want to pet them, have them lick me, jump on me....nada. I was mauled by a pack of "harmless" german shepards when I was young and have the scars to prove it. So here is my ounce of prevention...I have told my wife that I will shoot any dog on my property or threatens the well being of my family without hesitation. I have already contacted the authorities about the neighbor with the pitbulls. The dogs were not on leashes, she beats them with sticks, more than 6 is a residential home, they are not fenced in because they roam wild ...I don't believe all the dogs are insured etc...I have checked out numerous ordinances. I will not wait for a pound of cure, I have heard of numerous incidents reported on the news regarding attacks...

If any one has had an experience or advice please share them.... please understand that I am a parent and my family comes first before any flaming ensues

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
When it comes to the safety of your family, shoot first, ask questions later. make sure you have an umbrella liability policy first. ;) I would def. get in touch with the authorities, sounds like an ABUSIVE unlicensed breeder. Not what you want in your area...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Agreed. Your familly comes first.

Complain and complain and complain to the cops and spca until something is done.

Document your fence and it's destruction by her dogs so you can sue for damages later. And shoot those things if they ever come near you or your loved ones.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Yup do something.
I have a pit and I would never let her roam free without a watchful eye.
The fact that there are a bunch of em poses a big problem. These dogs are obviously not trained if she has to beat them with sticks. Do something and do it soon. Your family comes first. 6 pits and a two year old is a very bad combination.
Don't get me wrong- I love my dog dearly but there is no way in hell I could control two pits let alone 6.

2 cents from a loving pit owner

·
Lisa Simpson
15,043 Posts
My grandfather bred pitbulls, I know that with kindness and loving, they are great dogs (like nearly every breed). I also know that they are more commonly bred for fighting and not all breeders care what happens to their dogs.

Shoot first, ask later. It sounds like you are checking the local laws ( :thumbup: ) and contacting the proper authorities. Hopefully, they will take care of it for you.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Mister_Rogers said:
She says they are harmless,.... she beats them with sticks,....
If they're harmless why would she need to beat them with sticks??

Yeah, Pit Bulls can be harmless, but it is their instinct, unless trained with special care, to be violent. The same goes for many dogs, but Pit Bulls have those incredibly powerful jaws.... Notwithstanding your neighbor's right to own Pit Bulls, you have a right to be worried, especially given the picture you've painted.

There are some localities in this country that require Pit Bulls to be fenced in always, even when on the owner's property. Besides that, it is usually the rule that dogs are subject to capture and removal if found to be roaming on non-owners' private or public property.

My cousin's dog, which was a Pit Bull mix, lunged at my cousin's baby once--no actual contact, but that was enough. The poor stupid dog was gone within a week.

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Pit bull or not, the owner is breaking the law by allowing them to roam freely on public street without a lease. Most of the time, these neglected dog owners aren't aware of this law, and think that they have done nothing wrong.

I would suggest for you to be proactive and document this if you have a camcorder handy. Unless attacked first, I think this will be your more powerful weapon than gun.

Good luck

·
Registered
582 Posts
i may be biased to think that it should not be the "pitbulls" that you should be worried about ..but that can wait ...in most states/cities/towns there are laws as to how many dogs you can own w/o a breeders license...in my area it's 3 dogs ...the most important thing here is whether the people are responsible dogs owners regardless of the breed...which it sounds like they are not..you did the right thing in contacting the authorities and should leave it to them you must be vigilant in following up on the officers report....get his/her name and agency and keep on them until you get your answers whether you like them or not ...BTW... it is this comment "I have heard of numerous incidents reported on the news regarding attacks... " that i have a problem with ...you sound like a good person but when you use those words ..one could easliy make the same assumptions about black people because they are always committing crimes that the media over dramatizes...it is not the dogs fault some scumbags live next to you and treat their animals like shit...i understand that you have a family ....so do i... if you check out my other post you would see that i am in fact looking for another APBT..because of the positive aspects of the breed...what ever the differences we may have on this breed it seems obvious that these people do not care about the animals so keep on the police and/or spca and something should happen quickly...

BTW.. DCDAVE you have absolutely no clue about dogs especially this breed...no dog is inherantly or instinctually violent...that was just plain ignorant...with what you say i guess all black are violent and we must specaialy train them to not be violent...i'm not equating pitbulls to black people but rather equating the same level of intolarant rhetoric that racists use...i've owned six pitbulls ...how many have you owned?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hv3apbt said:
BTW.. DCDAVE you have absolutely no clue about dogs especially this breed...no dog is inherantly or instinctually violent...that was just plain ignorant...with what you say i guess all black are violent and we must specaialy train them to not be violent...i'm not equating pitbulls to black people but rather equating the same level of intolarant rhetoric that racists use...i've owned six pitbulls ...how many have you owned?
This is what I didn't want in this thread.

Personally I don't care if it was a pack of poodles. I will blast away till the clip is empty if they are threatening my fam.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vuvision said:
Pit bull or not, the owner is breaking the law by allowing them to roam freely on public street without a lease. Most of the time, these neglected dog owners aren't aware of this law, and think that they have done nothing wrong.

I would suggest for you to be proactive and document this if you have a camcorder handy. Unless attacked first, I think this will be your more powerful weapon than gun.

Good luck

Thanks for the advice all....I will keep a camcorder handy.

Well I am in contact with the authorities. I just spoke to them and they said they sent an investigator out there to verify my claim but didnt see any sign of the dogs. They are going back out and I gave them my house address so they can go in my backyard and see the opening in the woman's fence.

Thanks for the replies and yes I will blast first. I will update you on any results.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
atomicalex said:
My grandfather bred pitbulls, I know that with kindness and loving, they are great dogs (like nearly every breed). I also know that they are more commonly bred for fighting and not all breeders care what happens to their dogs.

Shoot first, ask later. It sounds like you are checking the local laws ( :thumbup: ) and contacting the proper authorities. Hopefully, they will take care of it for you.
Alex...as a parent.... Would you leave your baby in backyard with your grandfather's pitbulls?

Yesterday while calling around to the ASPCA headquarters I dont know if I was hung up on twice by a person who seemed sympathetic to "harmless friendly" pitbulls. Anyway I hope the authorities take this serious....I don't want to be on the 11 o'clock news

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Mister_Rogers said:
hv3apbt said:
This is what I didn't want in this thread.
Oh boy ... how did this thread became a political statement ? ... Probably a PETA member, nevermind :roll:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
hv3apbt said:
BTW.. DCDAVE you have absolutely no clue about dogs especially this breed...no dog is inherantly or instinctually violent...that was just plain ignorant...
Interesting comment. If that is the case why do horse owners spend billions of dollars worldwide breeding extremely fast race horses with other extremely fast race horses? It must be because they know nothing about horses or instinctual speed. Why not just use Clydesdales to race in the Kentucky Derby if no breed is instinctually better?

·
I got this user title because I'm old and special
8,552 Posts
hv3apbt said:
Not to start a flame war....But, dogs are inherantly or instinctually violent. All dogs are. All animals are. If the circumstances rise, they will be very violent. It could be a smell or a look. Being part of a family and friends who breed, you have to be aware of situations that attack these instincts. Like dominance issues. Small children especially can violate these. Being small and less dominate to the dog, they sometimes look in the eyes or advance toward the dogs. Both of which can send a dog into instinct mode.

That being said some dogs have the training and disposition to know not to attack. But, just like humans some dogs have their own personalities, some of which are more aggressive. I feel Pitbulls are not more likely to be aggressive with proper training than a Poodle, but they certainly will do more damage. I have seen highly trained dogs be aggressive during certain circumstances while it's sibling was passive and kind. Both from same breeder, both had training, both from same family.

As for the neighbor, I would kill the dog the second the dog steps a paw on my yard. You have documentation, so you will be in the right. As for the fence, I would sue to replace it. I mean the whole thing since it is a ajoining fence. As for the 6 dogs to me, it is a unlicensed breeder, and the fines I would thing would be extensive. I am talking $10k in fines. I know they huge in California. I believe it is like a $1K for each unregistered dog alone.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
a4passata6 said:
hv3apbt said:
BTW.. DCDAVE you have absolutely no clue about dogs especially this breed...no dog is inherantly or instinctually violent...that was just plain ignorant...
Interesting comment. If that is the case why do horse owners spend billions of dollars worldwide breeding extremely fast race horses with other extremely fast race horses? It must be because they know nothing about horses or instinctual speed. Why not just use Clydesdales to race in the Kentucky Derby if no breed is instinctually better?
I would like to know the answer to this. Maybe the answer will make me feel comfortable with a pack of pits roaming my backyard.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OTICK..thanks, you opened my eyes further..... I think I am gona be sick now, I have all kinds of images in my head...only because my son is very curious, likes to investigate and is aggressive, he doesnt back down..not to mention my son's piecring eyes.....these are qualities my wife and I love for our son to have...I would not want his zest for life to be changed by an incident such as the ones going thru my head. I believe if I wasn't mauled by dogs I would infact be more loving of dogs.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
Frankly, what breed of dog it is doesn't matter. If they are being agressive enough that she has to beat them, and they ruin wild...something must be done. If they come on your property even once and growl or do anything agressive...empty the clip, reload, and empty it again. I love animals (as everybody here knows)...but yoiur family has to come first...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Oh come on now.

Every animal has it's strenghts and weekness. Stating that pitbulls are not aggressive by nature is to not understand them. They were breed by combining two breeds by humans for a specific purpase, to win fights.

"Much of a dog's temperament relates to it's breed history and genetic inheritance. The Pit Bull breed was developed for blood sports: Bull baiting, bear baiting, and later, dogfighting."

"The bulldog and mastiff came from the same common ancestor, gripping dogs used for thousands of years in many cultures to hold dangerous wild animals while hunters killed them. "

"The American Pit Bull Terrier has been 'selectively' bred for hundreds of years to fight other dogs. This is the sad "work" these dogs were created for."

Some interesting finds:

"Adult Pit Bulls should NEVER be left alone with other dogs and require proper supervision."

"The Pit Bull should NEVER be allowed off-leash in a public place"

"The Pit Bull should NEVER be allowed to roam free in the neighborhood, EVER!"

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Do you have a clue why my cousin's dog lunged at the baby then? Perhaps the baby did something that made the dog react instinctively. Why would the dog react in a violent manner if it wasn't instinctual? Was the dog taught to react that way? Perhaps. If only the dog had relied on her instincts and had walked or run away instead of lunging at the baby....

The dog was only doing what dogs do. That's why I still lay most of the blame on my cousin for the incident. I guess the only one who has a clue about that incident is the dog herself, though. As it happens, that event hinged on instinct. The dog reacted instinctively, and the human parent reacted instinctively by protecting his child.

Since you apparently have all the clues, maybe you can tell me why our cat lunges and bites our hands when we're just lying there in bed watching TV doing nothing else (my first cat absolutely never acted this way; same with my wife's first cat)? Maybe you can explain why animals in general behave violently when confronted with danger. Perhaps you can explain why even police officers react violently under certain circumstance even though they've gone through months of training. Could it be because many animals have an instinct for violence? If not, I guess Pit Bulls are the exception....

·
Registered
9,154 Posts
Last year here in Houston there was a tragic story about an elder lady that was mauled to death by 4 pit bulls. The sad part is that they were raised from puppies, and up until this incident, the dogs never exhibited any aggression toward her or her husband.

http://www.click2houston.com/hou/news/stories/news-156526420020718-090737.html

Certainly makes me think twice about having a pit bull near by.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts